Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130310 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1185 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:53 am »

You mean like the two or three laugh tracks used during the entire run of Happy Days?  I was a little kid and I noticed it.

Edit: To clarify, this was in re-runs.  I'm older than most around here, but not quite that ancient.
You do know that the Cunninghams have the mummified corpse of Richie's older brother stashed in the attic, right? He went upstairs in one episode, then was never seen or mentioned again.
To be fair, he was mentioned again.  And was even allegedly on the other end of a few phone calls.  But you are correct that the actor was never brought back.

To me, though, it will always be the show that invented jumping the shark.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 13, 2015, 10:33:13 am »

...But it is the show that invented "jumping the shark"... Literally. By jumping a shark.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:01 pm »

Not really a nitpick, but I rented a bunch of DVDs this week and two of them had the Willhelm Scream in them. The Hobbit has a Wilhelm-screaming goblin in Moria, and I'm watching Aeon Flux right now and there's a Willhelm-screaming guard. Sound editors especially like this scream when someone falls or is flung off a high place, like off a bridge or a ledge.

Pro-tip: do not research the Willhelm scream if you don't like your suspension of disbelief to be challenged. Once you're aware of these stock sound effects everyone uses, you start noticing them all the time, which can slightly ruin enjoying the moment.
You mean like the two or three laugh tracks used during the entire run of Happy Days?  I was a little kid and I noticed it.

Edit: To clarify, this was in re-runs.  I'm older than most around here, but not quite that ancient.

If done right though, that kind of thing can positively enhance a comedy by creating a subtle running gag. Spongebob comes to mind with it's running gag of every time there's any sort of altercation or accident or disaster there's the same clip of someone yelling "My leg" or on Aqua Teen Hunger Force where just about every time something gts set on fire it's the same stock footage of a campfire
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:07 am »

Sequel foreshadowing that doesn't pan out is always disappointing. Like they when they set up for a sequel at the end of the film and then the sequel never gets made.

EDIT:
Also, have you ever encountered something in a movie where it could either be a deliberate callback to something earlier in the film or series or a weird and careless oversight, and it's totally unclear which is which. For example, in Austin Powers II Scott Evil suggests that his father should use his time machine to "go back and kill Austin Powers when he's sitting on the toilet or something", and in the first film there was a scene where Austin was attacked in a bathroom stall, and I cannot for the life of me tell whether Scott's line was meant to be some kind of weird callback to a scene in the first film that had nothing to do with that character, or if it was just a result of the writers having a limited repertoire of gags.
(intentional or not though my headcanon for the series is that after inheriting the time machine in the third film Scott sends the assassin back to try to kill Austin Powers in the first film)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:37:15 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:36 am »

Sequel foreshadowing that doesn't pan out is always disappointing. Like they when they set up for a sequel at the end of the film and then the sequel never gets made.

It is kind of worse when the Sequel Foreshadowing is better then the actual movie you got.

Like Jem and the Holograms movie (don't watch it is terrible! and dishonest to the cartoon) for example has the Misfits show up at the end sequel bait...

And it is KESHA! Pizzazz is being played by Kesha! Is there anything more perfect? Why wasn't that our movie?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 19, 2015, 06:39:45 am »

Been watching more movies recently because I can rent DVDs really cheap near where I live.

Started Starship Troopers II because, I think, how bad could it be? Well I got my answer, really fucking bad. The acting is amazingly bad, the special effects are utter shit and it looks worse than a low-budget TV action show. There's supposed to be a huge bug attack going on but most of the scene is close-up head shots of talking marines who don't really seem all that to stressed out. The directing and cinematography is so shite it's almost like it's created a new level of shite. And that's just for the big opening battle scene. I dread to think how bad the rest of this movie is going to be. But I'll gonna get my $1 worth goddamit. The nitpick is: this entire movie and I can already tell that within a couple of minutes into the thing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:44:48 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1191 on: November 19, 2015, 06:42:44 am »

That's not so much a nit as a headcrab, I think.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 19, 2015, 06:55:44 am »

I'm at the 10 minute mark now, and I'm really starting to think "god I hope the bugs eat all these annoying people really soon" and I never normally do that.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 19, 2015, 07:57:00 am »

Started Starship Troopers II because, I think, how bad could it be?
I remember after seeing Robot Jox thinking that the sequel Robot Wars couldn't possibly be worse.

Within the first five seconds I knew I was wrong.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 19, 2015, 08:04:54 am »

imdb ratings:
Robot Jox: 5.3
Robot Wars 4.0
Starship Troopers 1: 7.2.
Starship Troopers 2: 3.5

Well, it had a really low budget and mostly terrible actors. But the main story that developed in the movie involves a whole lot of gore, and was actually different from the first movie. I can sort of see now that they skimped on the effects for standard bug attacks to focus on this other story rather than just repeat the first film. Works ok as a cheap gory action horror, but unfortunately all the humor from the first film is missing, except for a couple of recycled movie #1 jokes at the start and end.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:18:43 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:07 am »

imdb ratings:
Robot Jox: 5.3
Robot Wars 4.0
Starship Troopers 1: 7.2.
Starship Troopers 2: 3.5
That made me think to check...
1986: Highlander (1986): 7.2
1991: Highlander II ('The Quickening'): 4.0 (not quite the SsT level of drop, for a movie that is famously ignored in canon!)
1994: Highlander III ('The Magician'/'Final Dimension): 4.3 (surprisingly low, for the 'rebound one that isn't ignored')
2000: Highlander IV ('Endgame'): 4.5 (still struggling!)
2007: Highlander ('The Source'): 3.1 (uh oh!)

Also, the TV series...es:
1992: Highlander: 7.3 (good!)
1998: Highlander: The Raven: 5.2 (not so good)

...more...

1978: Superman: 7.3
1980: Superman II: 6.8
1983: Superman III: 4.9
1987: Superman IV: 3.7 - no wonder there was no V.  Or was there?
2006: Superman Returns: 6.1 Reboot v1
2013: Man Of Steel: 7.2 Reboot v2

(1966: Star Trek TOS: 8.4) * putting TV series in ()s, for clarity *
(1973: Star Trek TAS: 7.7)
1979: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: 6.4 (odd number, low expectation, and that's the last time I use the official movie title)
1982: Star Trek II: Kaaahhhhhhnnnnnnn!!!: 7.7 (even number, high expectation)
1984: Star Trek III: Doctor/Spock: 6.6 (odd number low)
1986: Star Trek IV: Whales!: 7.3 (even number high!)
1989: Star Trek V: God!: 5.4 (odd, low)
1991: Star Trek VI: Those aren't his knees!: 7.2 (even, high)
(1987: Star Trek TNG: 8.7)
(1993: Star Trek DS9: 7.9)
1994: Star Trek (7): That Nexus Thing: 6.6 (un-numbered but odd and low)
(1995: Star Trek Voy: 7.7)
1998: Star Trek (8): Conspiracies: 6.4 (un-numbered, but broken the patter)
(2000: Star Trek Hidden Frontier: 5.6)
(2001: Star Trek Ent: 7.5 - good!  Expected worse, but I quite liked it...)
1995: Star Trek (9): The Borg Queen: 7.6 (should be low... unless we just forget Insurrection @ #8)
2002: Star Trek (10): Romulans!: 6.4 (yes, forget Insurrection.  Or Generations, but at least they redid that ending.)
(2007: Star Trek Odyssey: 6.3)
2009: Star Trek: The Reboot: 8.0
(2012: Star Trek Genesis: 6.7 - ??? what? when?)
(2013: Star Trek Continues: 7.7 - ??? again, what?)
(2014: Star Trek Begins: ?? - looks like nobody has heard of this one...)
2014: sTAR tREK: tHE rEBOOT ii: 7.8
(2015: Star Trek Renegades: 5.0 - but I've not seen this, so I don't know how fair it is...)

1979: Mad Max: 7.0
1981: Mad Max 2: 7.6
1985: Mad Max 3: 6.2
2015: Mad Max Reboot: 8.2

1968: The Love Bug: 6.4
1974: Herbie Rides Again: 5.6
1977: Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo: 5.5
1980: Herbie Goes Bananas 4.8
1997: The Love Bug: 5.2
2005: Herbie: Fully Loaded: 4.7

...that should do for now...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:33:07 am by Starver »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 26, 2015, 04:11:18 pm »

In The Giver the sappy talk of love and stuff is kind of unnecessary and beside the point. The lack of compassion is a far more pressing issue, and the fact that they prescribe the death penalty for things that even Josef Stalin or Vlad the Impaler wouldn't is far worse than both of these issues combined; The main issue is simply that with or without love they are far far worse than the things that they are trying to avoid.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 03, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »

Here are two!!!

Big Hero Six and Hotel Transylvania 2 and both for their ending

----

Big Hero Six

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

Hotel Transylvania 2

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:35:20 pm by Neonivek »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 03, 2015, 11:09:10 pm »

Pixels:
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 03, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »

Pixels:

Don't worry because

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 88