Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130279 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1230 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »

And, finally, the single non-spoilery nitpick/question, did anyone else feel like they tried shoving three movies into one with this?
Oh, you preferred when Peter Jackson tried to stretch one movie into three with The Hobbit?
Nope, but I am honestly not sure which is worse.

To be honest I think Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit has fewer pacing problems than the original novel did.
True, but three movies overdid it slightly. Two movies would have been better.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 19, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

Ralph Bakshi managed to get one and a half of the three Lord Of The Rings books into one rather stunning film...  And got no further.  Pity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 19, 2015, 01:03:45 pm »

To be honest I think Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit has fewer pacing problems than the original novel did.
True, but three movies overdid it slightly. Two movies would have been better.
I think it was in that rough spot where it was more than you could fit comfortably into two, but still too small to fit nicely into three. We had like; 7.5 hours worth of content, slightly too big for two films, but definitely not really long enough for three. :P

I think they probably could have still cut a few of the "overshadowed by Smaug/dragon's greed" moments as well as a few other bits from the third film to shorten things up a bit without much real harm done.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 21, 2015, 08:45:06 am »

Despite Star Wars hasn't always been exactly hard sci-fi, having lots of fantasy in them, I can't help but feel Disney somehow finished pushing the scale all in favour of fantasy, so now is a fantasy franchise with some sci-fi, or simply a fantasy history on a futuristic setting. Not that is a bad thing by itself necessarily, it serves to tell the history and the final result is really awesome, and thank the force JJ held his darn lens flares to himself. But I still feel somewhat uneasy at this.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:54:22 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »

As I've only just seen it, here's a nitpick about Spectre.  (Or 'SPECTRE', going by the capitalised version.  Special Executive for... blah blah blah, by the original canon, although I'm pretty sure this isn't ever spelt out (or, rather, the reverse) in this film... and, no, that's not the nitpick.

Have I yet impressed upon you how off-putting this 'plot device' was?

I liked the film, in general.  A lot of nods back to previous films.  I'm sure that if I checked there'd be a shot-for-shot copy of (at least some of) the fight scene on the train from From Russia With Love, and other little titbits like that.  But, hell, that above nitpick is annoying.  And I'm sure you agree.  (Either that, or that the nitpicker is annoying!)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32:35 am »

You're right. Except for the nuclear hiccup pill that's by a wide margin the most ridiculous and unbelievable bond gadget.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 27, 2015, 05:22:15 am »

Despite Star Wars hasn't always been exactly hard sci-fi, having lots of fantasy in them, I can't help but feel Disney somehow finished pushing the scale all in favour of fantasy, so now is a fantasy franchise with some sci-fi, or simply a fantasy history on a futuristic setting.

Alas that happened far before Disney got their hands on it.

What with magic zombies being canonical for the Starwars universe... and voodoo.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 27, 2015, 01:56:16 pm »

Despite Star Wars hasn't always been exactly hard sci-fi, having lots of fantasy in them, I can't help but feel Disney somehow finished pushing the scale all in favour of fantasy, so now is a fantasy franchise with some sci-fi, or simply a fantasy history on a futuristic setting.

What with magic zombies being canonical for the Starwars universe... and voodoo.
Disney nuked the extended universe so they had more than a couple atomic radii of wiggle room while making new movies.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 27, 2015, 01:57:27 pm »

Disney nuked the extended universe so they had more than a couple atomic radii of wiggle room while making new movies.

Fortunately for people who like magic zombies and voodoo they are no longer extended universe thanks to the Clone Wars TV show

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 27, 2015, 02:01:15 pm »

Fortunately for people who like magic zombies and voodoo they are no longer extended universe thanks to the Clone Wars TV show
Didn't realize anything animated was canon.  I'll stick with DF where I can decide what's canon by changing the raws. :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1240 on: December 27, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »

Star Wars was always, always Science Fantasy. That is its greatest strength.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 27, 2015, 03:22:13 pm »

Damn idiots cramming zombies into everything.

Now, dark side of the force animated bodies is not that farfetched.

Disney said the only cannon now is what it is on the movies. No more no less, it remains to be seen, as far as I know, if the original Clone Wars cartoon shorts, and the so so clone war series are cannon.

Given the old good cartoons actually ended right at the start of the Revenge of the Sith and was made to be a bridge from Episode II and Episode III, I would incline to believe they are cannon too, at least the last episode. They started as commercials but then people realized how cool it was and expanded it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 27, 2015, 04:34:22 pm »

The later Clone wars series is canon. So is rebels. The 2003 series is not.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 29, 2015, 12:10:10 pm »

Says who? I mean, you have a source on that?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 29, 2015, 12:23:52 pm »

This includes the six Star Wars episodes, **and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.** These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

"Star Wars : The Clone Wars" is grade A canon, on equal level with the movies, apparently. The 2003 series, simple called : "The Clone Wars" isn't mentioned and thus isn't canon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:25:44 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88