Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130269 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1245 on: December 29, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »

There is absolutely no reason not to take the 2003 series/movie as canon... given that pretty much every single fact in it is re-established in the main universe... Except exactly one.

Heck some of the 2003 Clone Wars exclusive characters end up in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

---

Watching "Dawn of the Croods" to see if it is any good

YES I know it is for kids.

Anyhow I can't enjoy it because I can't get out of my head how much I know about pre-historic people.
-"Old people are useless": they were quite revered in ancient society
-"There are bait and bonkers" (Basically people who act like bait, and people who throw stones): No, hunting tended to be low speed chases for days and they didn't use people as live bait

I get the joke... The Croods is a butchered modern IDEA of what pre-historic times are like WHILE at the same time being basically a modern day family. But I can't get it out of my head, it like hits all the wrong buttons for me...

AHHH!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:49:21 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 29, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

And some things from the EU ended up in the prequels (like the name of Coruscant, I think?) but those books didn't become canon.
Though being "canon" is overrated.  The EU is great, people should enjoy it.  It's just that they reserve the right to contradict it in official movies, and warned us ahead of time.

I enjoyed Episode 7, but I like aspects of the post-Rebellion EU enough that I can still read it... despite it largely being contradicted now.  Alternate history, let's say.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 29, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »

At least they're trying to make more things "canon" now, so instead of just throwing their hands in the air like George Lucas ("whatever, make it 'expanded' as long as I don't have to read it or care about it while writing my movies") they're making some sort of concerted effort where different sources are part of one story. Such as games. Maybe more carefully vetted novels? Rather than just rubber-stamp them and call them "expanded".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 29, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »

There is absolutely no reason not to take the 2003 series/movie as canon... given that pretty much every single fact in it is re-established in the main universe... Except exactly one.

Heck some of the 2003 Clone Wars exclusive characters end up in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

There's everything to think it's not canon. Disney, who owns the franchise, has published a list with what is and what isn't canon. 2003 is in the list of what isn't canon.

What more do you need?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 29, 2015, 05:17:06 pm »

Ummm. Still until something comes up and directly contradict 2003 clone wars I'll take it as cannon because it fits. The new series fits nicely between both parts of the 2003 series.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 29, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »

And, finally, the single non-spoilery nitpick/question, did anyone else feel like they tried shoving three movies into one with this?

(NB: Edited at least twice, now...)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:46:53 pm by Starver »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 29, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »

Ummm. Still until something comes up and directly contradict 2003 clone wars I'll take it as cannon because it fits. The new series fits nicely between both parts of the 2003 series.
Common misconception, but "canon" is literally what's *officially* in the universe.  Fanon and headcanon really shouldn't be considered derogatory terms, because they're often far better than the real canon.

I'm not going to go into Other M again, but it's a great example.  The Prime trilogy is noncanon, Other M is, which makes the canon shit.  Fanon mostly reverses that situation, and my headcanon certainly does.  Nothing wrong with that.  Though Nintendo could score major points with me and other fans by correcting their mistake and changing the official canon.

The Extended Universe was never canon, really.  I think the official word was that it should be considered canon unless contradicted by the actual canon sources (the movies and the Clone Wars CGI series).  And sure enough, much of it just got contradicted out the wazoo.  Doesn't make it any less good, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 29, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »

Yeah, iirc Star Wars utilised a system if degrees of canon or something? Movies having primaniture over the Expanded Universe, books over games, that sort of thing.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 29, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »

Yeah, iirc Star Wars utilised a system if degrees of canon or something? Movies having primaniture over the Expanded Universe, books over games, that sort of thing.
*waves hand*
These aren't the plots you're looking for.
We can go along our business.
Move along.

(Relevant nitpick: <spoiler> seems to get the hang of that far too quickly...  Even if it's against the traditionally weak-willed <spoiler>.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 29, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »

*waves hand*
Move along.

(Relevant nitpick: <spoiler> seems to get the hang of that far too quickly...  Even if it's against the traditionally weak-willed <spoiler>.)
Spoiler: Irrelevant Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 30, 2015, 01:31:19 am »

That used to be the case. Disney threw all of that out.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1256 on: December 30, 2015, 08:36:22 am »

*waves hand*
Move along.

Spoiler: Irrelevant Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, my friend noticed that when we watched it. He also cringed at the fight scenes.

Spoiler: More Spoiler Nitpicks (click to show/hide)
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 30, 2015, 08:55:50 am »

Why do they snatch children at a young age to turn into stormtroopers (such as Finn, or however you spell his name) when there's a perfectly good clonetrooper making facility? (I assumed it had been destroyed or taken out of commission or something, but my friend says it should still be operational.)

The Empire originally phased out the clones in favour of normal humans for troops in the early years of the Empire. The clones just gradually died off without ever being replaced after the Kaminoans rebelled with clone troopers as their force. The Emperor decided that clones were too easy to subvert compared to normal humans since anything could be put into their indoctrination programs and the last thing he needed was his armies having a new version of Order 66 in them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:16 am »

Still, Kylo seems to complain about having a "regular army". However it does seems to be cheaper to just have a bunch of adoctrinated guys with guns around. They also have a longer lifespan of service, not growing twice or more faster than regular humans.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 30, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »

I put my responses inline to avoid BBCode spoiler mess.

Spoiler: More Spoiler Nitpicks (click to show/hide)

A lot of soft sci-fi tech-based nitpicks can be answered by "they made it work somehow". More problematic are things that behave oddly without being made of handwavium. Also, internal consistency > realism: if someone in-universe explains why X isn't possible, one can't just say "well we don't know how it works because it's the future!", but if there's no contradiction, it's all fine.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88