Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130005 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1260 on: December 30, 2015, 01:46:46 pm »

Spoiler: More Spoiler Nitpicks (click to show/hide)

[edit: Hmm, well I didn't, instead I decided to just assume you'd follow the order.  And yet I also seemed to skip some things...  Unskipping them in this edit.]

In general order:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So a mix there of excusable and inexcusable points, depending on how much you like your Power Of Plot or your Constancy Of Canon...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:54:08 pm by Starver »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 30, 2015, 07:09:57 pm »

Science. Fantasy. Solved.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: January 16, 2016, 11:31:26 pm »

For The Revenant:
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: January 29, 2016, 03:54:31 pm »

When the sets and costume design and overall feel of a movie based on a TV show is different from that TV show. That bothers me.

My first encounter of this was when I was a kid with the Power Rangers movie, but I've since encountered it elsewhere as well.

I've actually even seen this happen in movies that aren't even live-action, the Spongebob movies for example, especially the first one, where the animation is different, Neptune's design is completely different than it is in the show, and Spongebob and Patrick are obsessed with an ice-cream shop that hasn't been seen before or since
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:00:16 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1264 on: January 29, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »

For The Revenant:

Science. Fantasy. Solved.
That's only an answer if the story offers it as one, like when they technobabble in Star Trek. It's still wrong, but at least you can say it was a problem the writers knew about and intentionally handwaved. Otherwise, in the absence of other evidence (interviews), I think it's always fair to assume the writer made a mistake and thus a nitpick can be called fair, in a sense.

I'm not referring to anything specifically aforementioned since I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet. Just speaking generally.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:27:57 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 29, 2016, 07:02:00 pm »

When the sets and costume design and overall feel of a movie based on a TV show is different from that TV show. That bothers me.

My first encounter of this was when I was a kid with the Power Rangers movie, but I've since encountered it elsewhere as well.

Well, at least in that specific case, I can especulate that the reason is that they actually filmed the scenes for the movies, including fight scenes and costumes, while the TV shows are just a bunch of stock footage from Japanese shows stringed together by scenes of US actors in plain clothes with some occasional cosplaying.

I don't have any actual evidence that the former is true to (the movie part) but it's my guess.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:52 pm »

I put my responses inline to avoid BBCode spoiler mess.

Spoiler: More Spoiler Nitpicks (click to show/hide)
They could have compressed it enough to turn it into neutron-degenerate matter; and/or already burned off a significant portion of it powering up whatever technobabble runs the main weapon
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:25:45 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: January 30, 2016, 07:26:27 am »

Saw the Revenant
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 30, 2016, 12:27:49 pm »

Well, at least in that specific case, I can especulate that the reason is that they actually filmed the scenes for the movies, including fight scenes and costumes, while the TV shows are just a bunch of stock footage from Japanese shows stringed together by scenes of US actors in plain clothes with some occasional cosplaying.

I don't have any actual evidence that the former is true to (the movie part) but it's my guess.

Har har. It wasn't made of stock footage. The Power Rangers TV show had production values at least as high as Plan 9 From Outer Space.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:56 am »

Har har. It wasn't made of stock footage. The Power Rangers TV show had production values at least as high as Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Just in case it's not sarcasm:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Production of Power Rangers episodes involves extensive localization of and revision of original Super Sentai source material in order to incorporate American culture and conform to American television standards. Rather than making an English dub or translation of the Japanese footage, Power Rangers programs consist of scenes featuring English-speaking actors (either from the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom) spliced with scenes featuring either Japanese actors dubbed into English or the action scenes from the Super Sentai Series featuring the Rangers fighting monsters or the giant robot (Zord and Megazord) battles with English dubbing. In some series, original fight scenes are filmed to incorporate characters or items unique to the Power Rangers production.[5] Like many of Saban Entertainment previous ventures in localizing Japanese television for a Western audience, the plot, character names, and other names usually differ greatly from the source footage, though a few seasons have stayed close to the story of the original Super Sentai season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sentai

By stock footage, I meant purchased footage, or whatever it is that the footage that you get for localization is called. But I doubt they used japanese footage for the US movie (that's why it doesn't look like footage from a cheap TV show... it looks like a cheap movie instead). I think there's like one scene in the first 30 seconds where the original Japanese villains get kicked off the planet or something by the "new" all-American villain. Then all the fight scenes had to be made specifically for the movie.

Also at least in one case a female ranger was originally a male in the japanese show, and is played by a male in those fight scenes, and it shows. (first series Yellow ranger I think?)

EDIT: Also, this is for making me talk about the Power Rangers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFJxRtz-Ik
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:45:47 am by Sergius »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: January 31, 2016, 12:56:32 am »

Yeah but only some of the fight scenes were recycled, not all of them. It's as much a bad remake as it is a bad localization.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 31, 2016, 01:12:39 am »

Yeah but only some of the fight scenes were recycled, not all of them. It's as much a bad remake as it is a bad localization.

Any scene where there isn't an american actor out of costume can safely be assumed to be recycled, I believe. But the point is, regardless of which scenes are recycled or not, the fresh ones had to be filmed to match the quality of the original footage, to keep the charade going.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 22, 2016, 08:49:27 am »

Saw the good dinosaur... it's a movie that exudes photorealism in every frame, really great visuals. I mean, the fucking water seems more realistic than what you see in real life for pete's sake.

Spoiler: However (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:54:24 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 22, 2016, 12:35:24 pm »

Movies where the danger of something is overstated or doesn't match what's shown onscreen.

My example would be the "the Thing" movie, (I haven't watched the newest one but got most of it from synopsis, but I guess it applies to that one too).

It's always stated that "a single cell" can infiltrate another organism and convert it. Yet, it's always shown that the monster is always in close proximity of the heroes, spitting saliva-like stuff everywhere (none of which gets on any of the main characters). So it's really hard to believe that none of them get turned just by a single drop of whatever. Or just touching something that the monster has touched (leaving residue I assume, or even loose cells?). Always someone is turned off-screen or by being very obviously stabbed by a giant appendage (which more often than not results in death rather than conversion).

So, basically, characters have plot immunity until the script says they are killed or whatever, while in practice it would be completely impossible to avoid exposure by "a single cell". They torch the monster but torching something doesn't destroy every "single cell" certainly? Not to mention all the monster goop left behind everywhere.

In the 1982 movie, it's stated at some point that the process requires "darkness". But darkness is very relative. I mean, if a "single cell" gets in your pants it's probably dark inside. There are shadows, so any character that isn't surrounded 360 degrees by floodlights would probably be in danger. It's not like you're going to achieve complete pitch darkness if there's even some exposed sky even at night, unless you're deep in some caves or inside a specially sealed room, like a refrigerator or a cellar.

My only conclusions are 1) plot armor 2) overstated infection abilities 3) 100% chance that everyone is exposed anyway so given time depending on amount of exposure they'll all convert into Thing-mass eventually. #3 is sorta kinda implied sometimes but, eh. Annoys me to no end that the characters even pretend otherwise.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 22, 2016, 12:50:22 pm »

That's what is called internal logic inconsistency. It's the greatest bummer of all and characteristic of lazy writers or build upon to comedic ends.

In the case of the thing if the organism really works infecting people in such way that a single cell will kill you then yes, everyone is death from the moment they breathe. To engage they should need pressurised suits, lots of fire and decontaminating showers that self-destruct after use or whatever.

They say a single cell infects you, however as you point out the events of the movie shows otherwise that directly contradicts the dialogue. Perhaps it's something far more complicated, or require special cells or lots of them. But that would be the writers work to figure out, not you. So in this case the best explanation they can come up with is:
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 88