Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002254 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1515 on: September 29, 2012, 08:57:03 pm »

It's stuff like this that make me wish we could just leave for greener pastures. Like the asteroid belt. Or Titan. Or Pluto. Hell, any place without all the crazy bullshit here on Earth. The Sun's core, for instance.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 29, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »

It's the "killing herself with chemicals" thing.
I certainly doesn't sound like people are concerned about her well being.

So why are otherkin, transethnics and the like weird? Because they're just trying to be special snowflakes- they're not really identifying as the things they claim to be identifying as, because those are not mental Things like gender is. They are attention whores.
First off, weird is not bad. "Weird" and "normal" are neutral descriptive terms (vague ones at that) and have no value attached to them. I totally accept them as weird... but that alone is never a bad thing.
Secondly, you're arguing every single one of these people are being manipulative, and don't believe the words they're saying. I find that hard to swallow.

I "identify" with a lot of things. Things I can point to and say, "hey, that represents a part of my personality and who I am." The difference between me and them is I consider those things to "represent" me, while they consider those things to be what they "really are." There's no functional difference between these two; the argument is pretty much one of semantics and definitions.

There are some furries here. I have some questions for you:
- Do you have a fursona?
- If so, do you consider it a more accurate representation of "who you are" than your physical body?
- And if so, and if we developed some damn good and affordable plastic surgery, would you transition? (let's pretend any social stigmas vanished for this too)

And as a side note, for trans individuals, I've never really bought the "their brain is different!" argument as the sole reason they should be considered the gender they identify with. It could certainly be part of it, but not the only reason. To me, it has much more to do with personality, and who they want to be, and what they want to be seen as, than anything else. IE, identity.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1517 on: September 29, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »

Why would they do that?

gah, triple ninja. I'm talking about bug-chasers.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 29, 2012, 08:59:53 pm »

Oh god I'd forgotten about transabled people.

Wait, those are the ones who basically want to take a perfectly functional body and cripple it, right?
I think I've heard of those folks once before, but I'm still not sure they're the worst.

The worst in my mind are probably bugchasers and gift-givers.
I have learned things today that I wish I hadn't. I am, for once in my life, absolutely disgusted. Appalling in the truest sense of the word.

I have seen many things. This is one of the worst.
Huh. Totally impractical AND immoral by human morality. The problem is that it has nothing to do with freeing eldritch creatures or anything productive. 'Tis just...stupid.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 29, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »

Wait, those are the ones who basically want to take a perfectly functional body and cripple it, right?
I think I've heard of those folks once before, but I'm still not sure they're the worst.

I have learned things today that I wish I hadn't. I am, for once in my life, absolutely disgusted. Appalling in the truest sense of the word.

Huh. Totally impractical AND immoral by human morality. The problem is that it has nothing to do with freeing eldritch creatures or anything productive. 'Tis just...stupid.

Wouldn't the slow, agonizing death help?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:06:09 pm by Wrex »

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 29, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »

@Kaijyuu: There's a difference. My 'sona (Or 'sonas. I'm kind of obsessed with keeping genres seperate.) is/are idealized versions of myself, yes. But that does not mean I think I was born as an anthropomorphic critter trapped in a human body. There's a difference between me and otherkin.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

Why would they do that?

Third sentence in the Wikipedia article. "It is a form of self-harm".
Love, scriver~

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 29, 2012, 09:15:10 pm »

Wouldn't the slow, agonizing death help?
Help me be free? No. The bad mojo they generate goes to them, not me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 29, 2012, 09:16:39 pm »

Why would they do that?

Read further on, and the article mentions that some people see it as a sort of extreme sports or some super-risky fetish.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1524 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »

Why would they do that?

Read further on, and the article mentions that some people see it as a sort of extreme sports or some super-risky fetish.
So is having sex with a chainsaw. There's a reason why anyone who tries that wins a Darwin award.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:18 pm »

Why would they do that?

I can kinda understand that viewpoint, not that I share it.

Anyway, what's so bad about someone intentionally getting ill?  It's likely to end up with one less person fucking up the planet and nobody gets hurt without consenting to it.  Spreading diseases to others who are unaware would be a really nasty thing to do, but I don't see any reason people shouldn't be allowed to contract non-contagious diseases (or diseases where the spread can be so easily controlled) if they really really want to.  It's bloody weird, but probably actually a good thing when looking at the bigger picture.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 29, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »

How is intentionally spreading an incurable and unvaccinate-able disease not a bad thing? It's not like sex is the only way for it to spread, anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:18 pm »

Because it's completely fucking immoral to intentionally spread serious illnesses, one would think. If you want to off yourself, there are just about as many ways to do so as there are people. Pick one that can only directly hurt you.

Re: the whole otherkin thing?

"I'm a Wood Elf inside, don't oppress me!"

I won't pretend to speak for every case, but that one clearly looks like Special Snowflake syndrome.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:47:33 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 29, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »

I did specify contracting, rather than spreading.  I like to think that people have a right to do whatever they like with/to their own body, so long as it doesn't prevent others from doing the same.  Besides, we live in a world where resources are becoming increasingly scarce.  Having a few less people burning up said resources isn't a bad thing, especially when they're the cause of their own death.  It's like smoking tobacco in my eyes.  Very stupid, but who the fuck am I (or you) to say that something that doesn't harm a third party is immoral?

As for otherkin, I don't get it at all.  Truth be told, I can't wrap my head around transgender folk either.  I'm absolutely fine with both though.  There are a lot of people who are very different to me, and that's pretty awesome IMO.

Live and let live, or die.  Whatever.   So long as it's all above board and consensual, I see no reason to judge.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:11:10 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »

@Kaijyuu: There's a difference. My 'sona (Or 'sonas. I'm kind of obsessed with keeping genres seperate.) is/are idealized versions of myself, yes. But that does not mean I think I was born as an anthropomorphic critter trapped in a human body. There's a difference between me and otherkin.
That's a valid distinction, but I have to ask: What functional difference does it make? Is there a tangible difference in your different attitudes, or is it just effectively a difference in rhetoric?

Really my entire argument is asking "why does it matter?" Now, if you're concerned about them harming themselves, then sure; that's a valid reason to bring up concern. It is not, however, a valid reason for mockery. As far as I can tell people are just going "it's weird lol" and then using these people as a punching bag. Even the manipulative ones that are lying for attention don't deserve that much ire.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 510