Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002020 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1860 on: October 08, 2012, 11:10:26 am »

They call that academic stupid.
Or book stupid. :/
Educated stupid?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

You people all know really stupid Christians. Let me tell you, the vast majority of Christians are educated, reasonable people that accept the theory of evolution.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:36 am »

You people all know really stupid Christians. Let me tell you, the vast majority of Christians are educated, reasonable people that accept the theory of evolution.

I'm Christian. :o

And yet, the pope apparently agrees with the idea of evolution, albeit in a way that factors in god.
Try telling a Protestant that they should listen to the pope.   :P

Did not expect that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 08, 2012, 11:17:24 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#Support_for_evolution_by_religious_bodies

Highest Christian denomination support for evolution is 58% (Catholic). That's a majority, but not a vast majority.

And let's not talk about the Jehova's Witnesses.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 08, 2012, 11:19:46 am »

I agree here, although, I did find this nice quote from a Macromeme image.
If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences but less than 1% of the prison population.

That's some pretty significant numbers there. Considering atheists are very much a minority in the USA AFAIK.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:44 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#Support_for_evolution_by_religious_bodies

Highest Christian denomination support for evolution is 58% (Catholic). That's a majority, but not a vast majority.

That's just the Catholics, you're not including the large portion of protestants that accept evolution. EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your link. That is just a survey conducted in just the USA. There are many more creationist Christians in the USA than anywhere else in the world, I'd say most protestants outside the USA accept evolution.

I agree here, although, I did find this nice quote from a Macromeme image.
If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences but less than 1% of the prison population.

That's some pretty significant numbers there. Considering atheists are very much a minority in the USA AFAIK.
Sorry if my sarcasm detector isn't working, but I highlighted the important part of that post.

A macromeme image doesn't count as a reliable source, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:31:43 am by Omegastick »
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:14 am »

Thats, depressing. Especially considering the pope supports evolution, and the entire point of Catholicism is LISTENING TO THE POPE.

Oh yeah, Orthodox takes second place for chrisitians!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:45 am »

I'm Christian. :o

Misko is none of these things.  Educated, reasonable, or a human person. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:23 am »

That is just a survey conducted in just the USA. There are many more creationist Christians in the USA than anywhere else in the world, I'd say most protestants outside the USA accept evolution.
Hrm, yes and no. Europe would have much more reasonable numbers. Africa... no.

But yeah the original statistic was just the US.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 08, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

That is just a survey conducted in just the USA. There are many more creationist Christians in the USA than anywhere else in the world, I'd say most protestants outside the USA accept evolution.
Hrm, yes and no. Europe would have much more reasonable numbers. Africa... no.

But yeah the original statistic was just the US.
Well, China has a billion people, and is largely atheist, with traditionalist and confucianist. India has a billion, and is, shockinglu, largely composed of Hindus and Buddhists, which support the concept whole-Heartedly. I can see why though, makes alot of sense in their world-view.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 08, 2012, 11:40:38 am »

Misko is none of these things.  Educated, reasonable, or a human person. :P
Officially I'm a catholic, even though practically I'm anything but. Do I qualify for non-personitude?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:53 am »

Officially I am a totally awesome dude. And I actually am. 8)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 08, 2012, 12:04:48 pm »

Hell yeah you are :D

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »

Aaaand away from the religion thing, apparently my brother thinks cheese is a mineral.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:46 pm »

Well it has to be, if the moon is made from it.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 510