Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002068 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2325 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »

What does that make people like me, who believe they're incompetent compared to everyone else?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

It makes you really stupid, because you're not :P
Also fishing for compliments.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 18, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »

Relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Across four studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd.
This explains why smart people can't convince dumb people of anything. They assume that they are the smart one, and you are just average, hence dumber than them.

Meanwhile, people with true ability tended to underestimate their relative competence. Roughly, participants who found tasks to be relatively easy erroneously assumed, to some extent, that the tasks must also be easy for others.

I love the title of their paper:

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:11:28 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 18, 2012, 06:14:34 pm »

Yes and no :P I really am incompetent. Yay for getting fired from my first job for costing the store something like $10,000 in fees from the various accidents I had.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

Relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Across four studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd.
This explains why smart people can't convince dumb people of anything. They assume that they are the smart one, and you are just average, hence dumber than them.

Meanwhile, people with true ability tended to underestimate their relative competence. Roughly, participants who found tasks to be relatively easy erroneously assumed, to some extent, that the tasks must also be easy for others.

I love the title of their paper:

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"
Well. Suddenly everything makes sense. I'm just too stupid to realise who is actually stupid.
And after reading this, I will compensate for my perceived over-estimation of others by inflating my own belief of self, leading me to end up far overestimating myself, or at the least, have doubts that I may be overestimating myself, meaning I will keep my estimation of myself low to prevent being an egotistic asshole and... oh...
it keeps hapening.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »

Yes and no :P I really am incompetent. Yay for getting fired from my first job for costing the store something like $10,000 in fees from the various accidents I had.

You probably just lack confidence. Also, first jobs are first jobs. Like every new experience it is new too you. I say it's the storerunners that's incompetent, firing you after investing 10,000 in teaching you the job ;)
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 18, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »

Haha, that might be true. In the guy's defense, he was waaay too empathic for a job that requires one to kill their own humanity. I don't blame him at all for firing me, even though it was technically over a tiny thing (dress code violation) rather than my real problems.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 18, 2012, 07:12:37 pm »

Relevant:

this,
I never realized how dumb people were until I had a job doing assessment testing for the government, (I was a hiring assistant, my job was find places to hold testing sessions, and test applicants to see if they were smart enough to work with/for the government)
I took the test before I started, missed 1 out of 20, and there were like 2 trick questions, so I'm pretty sure it was one of those that I missed, but I thought the test was waaaaaaay to easy to be working for the government.  (looked like a test that a 13 or 14 year old could pass with ease) so I'm holding these testing sessions, and all of these adults are getting 3 or 4 right.  like a good majority of the people scored less than 50% and not a single person that I tested scored anywhere near as high as myself.  I was shocked and amazed.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 24, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »

We did once have two moons, but they sort of collided into each other.

I think you mean the moon and the earth collided with each other.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2334 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

We did once have two moons, but they sort of collided into each other.

I think you mean the moon and the earth collided with each other.

Don't you mean a planet colliding into our planet to make our planet and the moon?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 24, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »

Don't you mean some pandimensional scientists accidentally created our solar system in a 6-dimensional hyper accelerator?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 24, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »

I'm partial to the Nibiru theory, as I get all my history lessons from Scooby Doo.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 24, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »

I vote for a successor to the Large Hadron Collider, that uses planets instead of hadrons. Or maybe planets are just really, REALLY large hadrons.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2338 on: October 24, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »

I vote for a successor to the Large Hadron Collider, that uses planets instead of hadrons. Or maybe planets are just really, REALLY large hadrons.
Oh god a planet moving at light speed

Someone make this happen

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 24, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »

Makes for a really lousy game of bar billiard, though.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 510