Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002078 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3270 on: December 16, 2012, 07:20:51 am »

Hitler-stabbing makes you sad?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

Quote from: An Youtube video
I've ben thinking about a phrase I've been hearing recently. That anti-racist is just a codeword for anti-white. It's starting to make sense. They say that they're anti-racist but what they really are is anti-white. Think about it.
I don't even understand. That is pretty much the pinnacle of circularity.
Later on there's sort of better reasoning, but it's setting up a whole bunch of straw men and then a bunch of suppositions that aren't necessarily true, then making a case on that.
Link
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 31, 2012, 09:15:22 am »

Link
Germany blocks that video.
I thought they only blocked copyright stuff o_O

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 31, 2012, 09:19:29 am »

Link
Oh yeah, Godwin's Law.
They talk about Hitler and how they [white people] are apparently compared to Nazis a lot and I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Germany (?), so that would explain it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 31, 2012, 09:21:53 am »

A crazy PETA lady argued that our canines came about in the last two centuries because of eating meat. When I argued something along the lines of "no they fucking didn't", she tried to convince me that they were designed to crack peanut shells.

EDIT: Just remembered, a few weeks ago my Spanish teacher tried to argue that any assumptions at all were wrong and mean. Not even racist assumptions, just stuff like "a Mexican man living in Mexico probably knows how to speak Spanish".

I guess I'm mean for assuming that everybody on this board knows how to read and write English.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:29:24 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: December 31, 2012, 09:29:08 am »

Why are PETA so crazy? Surely they realize that by being reasonable they could accomplish more than they do?

Also, itsnotlogical, you never know! Maybe he speaks Zapotec or Tzotzil or Mixe or Zoque!

But if she's saying things like that, she probably doesn't know about those.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:36:00 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:22 am »

Why are PETA so crazy? Surely they realize that by being reasonable they could accomplish more than they do?
There's a department of PETA who find the whole thing highly amusing and have convinced the rest that the most effective way is also the most hilarious way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 31, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

PETA craziness is an inside job?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 31, 2012, 09:39:59 am »

It has to be.
That level of crazy doesn't just come around organically. It has to be premeditated.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:38 am »

Think about it, i make more sense then you think

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: December 31, 2012, 10:12:57 am »

It has to be.
That level of crazy doesn't just come around organically. It has to be premeditated.

If it doesn't come around organically, does that mean that PETA's crazy is from an inorganic source, like a supercomputer that likes to see people act crazy?

Think about it, i make more sense then you think

That doesn't take much effort, my thoughts rarely make sense.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 31, 2012, 10:34:53 am »

Regardless, PETA makes a great example of showing how being too condescending actually undermines your cause. I actually agree with PETA on quite a few things (though not everything, like no pets), but I distance myself from them due to their holier-than-thou attitude.

EDIT: Just remembered, a few weeks ago my Spanish teacher tried to argue that any assumptions at all were wrong and mean. Not even racist assumptions, just stuff like "a Mexican man living in Mexico probably knows how to speak Spanish".

I guess I'm mean for assuming that everybody on this board knows how to read and write English.
Only if you think negatively of someone if they don't (online translators exist and are sufficient for a board like this). Also assumptions are bad if you're reinforcing stereotypes with your assumptions.

Don't make value judgments, and be wary of cultural things, and then you can reasonably make assumptions about people. Oh, and I guess make sure you're using decent inductive reasoning in the first place...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: December 31, 2012, 10:54:16 am »

Regardless, PETA makes a great example of showing how being too condescending actually undermines your cause. I actually agree with PETA on quite a few things (though not everything, like no pets), but I distance myself from them due to their holier-than-thou attitude.

Only if you think negatively of someone if they don't (online translators exist and are sufficient for a board like this). Also assumptions are bad if you're reinforcing stereotypes with your assumptions.

Don't make value judgments, and be wary of cultural things, and then you can reasonably make assumptions about people. Oh, and I guess make sure you're using decent inductive reasoning in the first place...
I am going to be offfended at the implication of poor or insufficient english, as I was just compared to Google Translate.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: December 31, 2012, 10:59:09 am »

Oh, and I guess make sure you're using decent inductive reasoning in the first place...
You know that joke about assumptions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3284 on: December 31, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »

A crazy PETA lady argued that our canines came about in the last two centuries because of eating meat. When I argued something along the lines of "no they fucking didn't", she tried to convince me that they were designed to crack peanut shells.
Wolf -> Dog -> Peanuts

Clearly there is a missing link here.

> Elephant

Link
Oh yeah, Godwin's Law.
They talk about Hitler and how they [white people] are apparently compared to Nazis a lot and I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Germany (?), so that would explain it.
The whole [white people] seems a bit misplaced. It's more to do with their nationality than race, and when your nationality was literally responsible for a whole shibang of crap well, you can't really blame them for trying to forget all traces of Hitler face stabbing.
The wrong approach, but understandable nonetheless.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 510