Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1001997 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5310 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:55 am »

http://www.truthism.com/
i am just going to leave this here...

got to love the  web design

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: June 26, 2013, 05:59:31 am »

Reading it made me cry.
There are some obvious logical discrepancies though, such as there being evidence of lizard people, despite the evidence being destroyed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:04:43 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:51 am »

"Reptilians are influencing people to actively pursue CO2 reduction programmes at this time."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: June 26, 2013, 06:21:45 am »

Quote from: Tumblr
@TumblrTXT: Do you honestly think that fat people aren’t beaten up or have ever been killed for being fat?
How can you be so stupid?

Plenty of people die because doctors assume, while diagnosing them, that their problem must have something to do with their fatness.

(Spoiler: it usually doesn't)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: June 26, 2013, 06:28:03 am »

"Reptilians are influencing people to actively pursue CO2 reduction programmes at this time."
I knew it, those scaly pieces of shit.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: June 26, 2013, 07:33:01 am »

yeah, morbid obesity carries some risks, but statistics show that people slightly above the weight doctors advise tend to live longer. there is a healthy weight, it's just higher than our society expects it to be

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5316 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:56 am »

Plenty of people die because doctors assume, while diagnosing them, that their problem must have something to do with their fatness.

(Spoiler: it usually doesn't)
Unless your doctor is actively trying to be a malpracticed or malicious, this isn't the case. To start, even in the obese capital of the world 85%-90% of the diagnoses that obesity is causing their ailments are true. Straining your body beyond its limits IS extremely harmful, body builders and obsese alike. And secondly, there aren't many assumptions based on someone's weight, there are assumptions based on the evidence, which a lot of physicians even in America where the equipment is front of the line don't know what they should be using, and as such can often miss symptoms of serious diseases. MRI, ultrasound, x-rays, CT scans and stethoscopes all have their effectiveness reduced when they have to penetrate several layers of fat, some people cannot even fit into the scanners, physical exams become arduous tests of endurance for both patient and doctor e.t.c.
The problem does have a lot to do with their fatness. While telling people they're ok and fine when they're clearly not, look at the actual harm you are causing first. It's not a 'cultural problem' of body images, its the leading cause of death in America.

yeah, morbid obesity carries some risks, but statistics show that people slightly above the weight doctors advise tend to live longer. there is a healthy weight, it's just higher than our society expects it to be
It reduces your lifespan by up to 8 to 10 years, equivalent to smoking your entire life.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5317 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:27 am »

Reading it made me cry.
There are some obvious logical discrepancies though, such as there being evidence of lizard people, despite the evidence being destroyed.
Also, if you believe what that site says, why wouldn't the site be another plant by some higher-uppers? :P It merely exists to draw your attention away from the real ones in power ...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:53 am »

It reduces your lifespan by up to 8 to 10 years, equivalent to smoking your entire life.
acording to your link that's morbid obesity
"Overall, moderate obesity (BMI 30-35 kg/m) was found to reduce life expectancy by an average of three years, while morbid obesity (BMI 40-50 kg/ kg/m) reduces life expectancy by eight to ten years."
also:
in both sexes, mortality was lowest in the upper end of the ‘healthy’ range (BMI 22.5–25 kg/m)
acording to my girlfriend that's "fat", she's BMI 23 and has been trying to lose weight, and is being encouraged by doctors

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:23 am »

I'm curious, what's the mortality rate like in the underweight range, and how does that compare?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:19 am »

From what I've read, it tends to be higher than at average weights, but doesn't approach the mortality rate among obese individuals. Here's a little bit on the subject; they conclude more or less that slim individuals are at an increased risk of early death despite dietary/other life conditions suggesting otherwise, but they can't explain it.

I do think, however, that there's a difference between individuals with a low BMI because of habitual dieting, and those who are at their optimal weight. My BMI is at 16.8 (which is pretty far underweight), but for my frame it's a healthy build. Moreover, I essentially cannot gain or lose weight at any significant level. When I'm in a period where I'm eating heavily without much exercise I don't gain weight, and when I'm eating one meal a day and hardly noticing I don't lose weight. The closest I can get is a few pounds of muscle gained or lost when I start or stop working. This is all purely anecdotal, of course, but my father is in a similar situation and is nearly 60 without any serious health concerns (despite having been a heavy smoker most of his life, to boot), while my paternal grandfather is the same, save for being close to 90 with no issues other than arthritis.

Basically, I think that the data may be skewed by people who are dieting excessively and forcing themselves below their healthy weights, as that pretty clearly would lead to health complications. It's common sense that forcing your body to gain or lose large amounts of weight is going to put stress on it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: June 26, 2013, 08:25:55 am »

Possibly even more crazy than Hollow Earth, behold Inverted Earth. Relaxing voice, though.

I... what?

The voice is relaxing, but I think that's mostly due to the guy being high as fuck.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5322 on: June 26, 2013, 08:28:25 am »

acording to your link that's morbid obesity "Overall, moderate obesity (BMI 30-35 kg/m) was found to reduce life expectancy by an average of three years, while morbid obesity (BMI 40-50 kg/ kg/m) reduces life expectancy by eight to ten years."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: June 26, 2013, 08:57:48 am »

acording to your link that's morbid obesity "Overall, moderate obesity (BMI 30-35 kg/m) was found to reduce life expectancy by an average of three years, while morbid obesity (BMI 40-50 kg/ kg/m) reduces life expectancy by eight to ten years."
yes. i said those things.
i didn't dispute that morbid obesity is unhealthy, i said the "healthiest" bmi is above what doctors advise. your source puts it in the higher end of the normal range(22.5 to 25) while doctors often advise people to stay in the lower normal ranges. i read that somewhere, cant retrieve the source but it matches my experience.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

So it's still within the normal range. I don't see the problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 510