Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004160 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6195 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:46 pm »

There are lots of things about Paradox I just do not understand, from both the fans and the studio itself. For example, the Paradox games seem to go out of their way to never, ever show that Judaism existed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:24 pm »

Actually, CK (the original) has Jewish Khazars, and Victoria II (never played the first one) has Jewish people as well.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: September 08, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »

I was fine riding around on Descan until he started vibrating and going 'BRRRRRRRM!'

It got weird at that point.
It got weirder when you take in account that post where you said your brain was persuaded, for a second, that you were a lesbian.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: September 08, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »

There are lots of things about Paradox I just do not understand, from both the fans and the studio itself. For example, the Paradox games seem to go out of their way to never, ever show that Judaism existed.
what do you mean? can you give a few examples? i'm curious

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: September 08, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

I think it's more due to the way that the games are set up than any kind of concentrated effort on Paradox's part. The games are more concerned with religious and cultural majorities after all. Though then again, I'm a bit surprised that EU-X doesn't have any Jewish related events...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: September 08, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »

Actually, CK (the original) has Jewish Khazars, and Victoria II (never played the first one) has Jewish people as well.
And yet CKII's Khazars are Tengri. As for Victoria II, sure, but by that point in the series religion has become an auxiliary issue. It barely does anything in Victoria and does nothing in Hearts of Iron.
I think it's more due to the way that the games are set up than any kind of concentrated effort on Paradox's part. The games are more concerned with religious and cultural majorities after all. Though then again, I'm a bit surprised that EU-X doesn't have any Jewish related events...
I don't think so. CKII has plenty of small religions and cultures, indeed the entire Heresy mechanic revolves around this. And you are correct, EU has no mention of Jews whatsoever.

All I know is that the Paradox team seems to have this bizarre obstinance against Jews that is applied to no other historical group, and I find that concerning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: September 08, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »

Maybe it's because the jewish religion has -as far as I know- negligible impact on geopolitics before the middle of the 20th century?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: September 08, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »

I believe there was a Judaic religion in EU: Rome. Back when they were actually a majority in a place.
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: September 08, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »

Jewish courtiers and advisers were prevalent in enough areas to make them worth putting in.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: September 08, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »

I've never played the game, but I'm assuming there's some degree of financial management, in which case Jewishness is an underlying game mechanic.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: September 08, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »

* Descan stares at SealyStar
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: September 08, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »

* Descan stares at SealyStar
Good thing I held back on asking whether there were comedy clubs and law firms too.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »

I've never played the game, but I'm assuming there's some degree of financial management, in which case Jewishness is an underlying game mechanic.
That wasn't funny.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: September 08, 2013, 04:38:09 pm »

Okay, this is headed someplace really bad really quickly.

Back on topic, my brother and I were discussing sales tax and he misinterpreted "cents on the dollar" as only applying to whole dollars. That is, with a 7% sales tax, he believed you would pay $1.07 on $1 - $1.99, $1.14 on $2 - $2.99, etc., but that there was no sales tax on things priced below one dollar, and claimed that this was why places always priced things at $n.99 instead of $n+1.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: September 08, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »

Actually, SealyStar is correct, if for the completely wrong reasons. The financial simulation is were Jews should have been the most influential, as it was historically. The financial simulation in CK2 is extremely barebones, however, and neither CK2 or EU3 allows for any identity of those you borrow money from, which also means banks don't hold any of the kind of influence they did in real life.

Jewish courtiers and advisers were prevalent in enough areas to make them worth putting in.

The only place I was aware of was Spain. Was there any others?

And regardless - you have courts of hundreds of people cut down to a dozen or two, and ministers and councillors in the dozens cut down to six advisor positions. At that point of abstraction, were the Jewish courtiers really important enough to add in?

And I'm not even against adding them in for flavour - one of the few mods I use for CK2 does add Jewish courtiers (to Iberian lords at least). But I certainly don't think their non-appearance in vanilla is because Paradox has something against Jews rather than it is because they weren't important enough to bother implementing.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 510