Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002034 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6225 on: September 09, 2013, 11:43:21 am »

Canada is what the US would be like without the 1st and 2nd amendments to the constitution.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: September 09, 2013, 11:43:28 am »

I've also seen people say things like that about Canada and the US, that we're the "52nd state", because of the close relationship and the feeling that we're subsumed under them and not considered a separate country.
That's like saying New Zealand is part of Australia; complete gobshite.
New Zealand is small Australia, while Canada is nice America. There's a difference ;)
I'm a bit unclear, does everything in NZ want you dead as well?
Nah, but the sheep want to fuck you to death.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:33 am »

I've also seen people say things like that about Canada and the US, that we're the "52nd state", because of the close relationship and the feeling that we're subsumed under them and not considered a separate country.
That's like saying New Zealand is part of Australia; complete gobshite.
New Zealand is small Australia, while Canada is nice America. There's a difference ;)
I'm a bit unclear, does everything in NZ want you dead as well?
Nah, but the sheep want to fuck you to death.
It's conditioning.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: September 09, 2013, 11:53:59 am »

can't tell if swedish nationalist or direct product of no education or just troll

does sweden even have nationalists, you'd think they are all jailed because nationalism = anti-immigration = racist/nazi in these books

*Severe fucking facepalm

They do indeed have nationalists. Of course, one must admit that once upon a time Norway was rather like a state (in the same way that my own country is), he's just about 100 years out of date.

It was a personal union. Two completely independent nations under the same king. The Swedish law and government held no authority over Norway's - they had their own parliament, laws, currency, and I believe even army.

As for the statement itself. That guy is obviously joking.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: September 09, 2013, 12:35:34 pm »

51st state, Descan. There are still only 50 states, unfortunately. Hurry the fuck up, Puerto Rico!
How many Americans have actually visited Canada?
I've never been there, but I'm pretty sure it is the foreign country most often visited by Americans. Before 9/11 it was significantly easier to cross the border than it is now, but it is still pretty easy. I hear stories of New Englanders and New Yorkers who will do things like go to Canada for lunch on a frequent basis. As I recall, both sides allow unannounced short-term visits with just your ID and Passport.

Personally, I support having an open border with Canada. Both they and the US spend a lot of money on the world's longest border that could be be better used elsewhere. Besides, most of the Schengen Agreement members are way more hostile towards each other than the US and Canada are towards one another, so why not?
Canada is what the US would be like without the 1st and 2nd amendments to the constitution.
Only the 2nd, really. I'm not deeply familiar with it, but Canada seems to have all the rights of the 1st Amendment codified.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #6230 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:48 pm »

It's "Defense in Depth", they would setup checkpoints at state borders if they could.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:25 pm »

It was a personal union. Two completely independent nations under the same king. The Swedish law and government held no authority over Norway's - they had their own parliament, laws, currency, and I believe even army.

The first two powers you cite are the same as those of my own country. They are actually closer to the Isle of Man in the sense that they basically have their own currency too, they just don't have an army.

If they were completely independent they would not be in a personal union. In order to form a "union" with another country one generally has to give up a certain level of sovereignty.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: September 09, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »

How many Americans have actually visited Canada?

How many [insert other country's populace] have actually visited America? :P Not all of us think Canada is the 51st state, fried food is da greatest fing evar, or that 'Dem foreigners are screwing it all up, should just let 'Murrica run the world'.

But seriously, we're working on annexing Canada, but the Mounties and Inuit Auxilia have proven both tougher and better entrenched than we suspected. We're moving up the heavy artillery to flush them out, but the Canadian Marching Band has been harassing our flanks and supply lines, making it harder on us. We sent in the Kentucky Fried Chicken Brigade to Quebec, but they were doused with fancy French spices and never seen again. Currently, reserve forces from Massachusetts are waiting to relieve the Old Dying People From Florida regiment, who has always suffered hideous morale problems. Something about the Regimental standard being too depressing. And we still have seen no sign of the Canadian Marines, a force feared throughout the world for... That one thing they did. Push up competition?

For note, I just wanted to go off on a semi-memetic tangent about Canada-America stereotypes embroiled in warfare. I wasn't trying to make any points.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: September 09, 2013, 12:51:08 pm »

My mom thinks my PTSD was caused by vitamin deficiencies.

Anything not to blame my ex, huh?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: September 09, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »

Is that... is that even possible? I mean, vitamin deficiency can mess with you a bit, but. PTSD is a hell of a lot more than "a bit"...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »

How many [insert other country's populace] have actually visited America? :P Not all of us think Canada is the 51st state, fried food is da greatest fing evar, or that 'Dem foreigners are screwing it all up, should just let 'Murrica run the world'.

I apologise profusely if that was how I came across (the whole snide and arrogant Euro-superiority "Americans are all stupid insular fatsos" thing), that wasn't my intention. I was just curious about how common cross border visits were. I was thinking to myself that if I lived in the USA I probably wouldn't have visited Canada very much (depending on how close I was to Canada like if I lived in Maine or something) the USA is big enough to be a world on its own.

I've only visited England about 4-5 times in my life, after all. Maximum. That's counting "flew to Manchester Airport to fly to XYZ airport abroad".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:04:52 pm by Owlbread »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: September 09, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »

To my knowledge it's fairly routine for those who are close to the border (on both sides), but those living farther south in the U.S. tend to travel overseas when they leave the country.

As for the whole "Canada is America's hat/51st state" thing, that's just a cover. Canada is a buffer zone intended to give us advanced warning of the looming invasion force of Soviet Bearatroopers who have spent the last twenty five years crossing the Arctic on their loyal steeds. Why do you think it's called the Canadian Shield, eh? 

Incidentally, I agree on the size issue. We have entire states full of nothingness that are bigger than other fair-sized countries. I'm looking at you, Montana, with your ~32,000km2 head up over Germany.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: September 09, 2013, 01:10:37 pm »

Is that... is that even possible? I mean, vitamin deficiency can mess with you a bit, but. PTSD is a hell of a lot more than "a bit"...

She thinks that all my issues are best explained by a lack of having found the right blend of diet, meditation, and "sweaty exercise."  It definitely makes more sense to have "lack of taking care of self (because irresponsible and lazy) => PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc." rather than "PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc. (because abuse and genetics) => giving up on taking care of self."

Like, literally.  She actually thinks the former explanation makes more sense.

I'm so tired and I really want to get out of here.  The house stinks and it's full of flies, which I'm not personally cleaning up because she wants to keep rotten fruit out on the counters just in case she feels like cooking with it.  I'm getting depressed thanks to the environment and each day feels like it lasts only a couple minutes because I don't do anything, but I just can't get myself motivated to improve my life when I know I'll be moving out in less than a week and I could just relax and play computer games now and deal with anything that needs to get done later.  Of course, she gets upset at me because I stay up late to avoid having to share schedules, and keeps trying to explain how I'm screwing up my life, going downhill, blah blah blah.

I just don't want to deal with this anymore, any of it.  I'm going to move out and keep a really, really tidy house where everything's got its spot and it doesn't fucking stink all the time.  Maybe I'll take two showers a day and stuff everything full of dried lavender.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:38 pm »

She thinks that all my issues are best explained by a lack of having found the right blend of diet, meditation, and "sweaty exercise."  It definitely makes more sense to have "lack of taking care of self (because irresponsible and lazy) => PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc." rather than "PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc. (because abuse and genetics) => giving up on taking care of self."

Like, literally.  She actually thinks the former explanation makes more sense.

I'm so tired and I really want to get out of here.  The house stinks and it's full of flies, which I'm not personally cleaning up because she wants to keep rotten fruit out on the counters just in case she feels like cooking with it.  I'm getting depressed thanks to the environment and each day feels like it lasts only a couple minutes because I don't do anything, but I just can't get myself motivated to improve my life when I know I'll be moving out in less than a week and I could just relax and play computer games now and deal with anything that needs to get done later.  Of course, she gets upset at me because I stay up late to avoid having to share schedules, and keeps trying to explain how I'm screwing up my life, going downhill, blah blah blah.

I just don't want to deal with this anymore, any of it.  I'm going to move out and keep a really, really tidy house where everything's got its spot and it doesn't fucking stink all the time.  Maybe I'll take two showers a day and stuff everything full of dried lavender.
If I'll ever have money, I'll even visit you one day.

Also, on an unrelated note, a quote from my friend

"So, do monkeys descend from niggers or is it the other way around?"

I was sitting next to him. If stupid was a physical force, I would've been knocked all the way to Canada. Together with most of the class that sat to the left of him. The ones on the right would end up somewhere in Russia. Hopefully.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: September 09, 2013, 02:31:20 pm »

It's "Defense in Depth", they would setup checkpoints at state borders if they could.
Seeing as they could but don't, I'm not that impressed by your argument.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 510