Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004416 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6615 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:14 am »

In Michigan we have this thing about tornadoes.

Blizzard? Just turn on the heater and get out the shovel.
Lethal heat wave? Turn on the AC and go to the pool, pussy.
Rainstorm of Noahic proportions? This doesn't even merit action.
1% chance of small tornado coming within 100 miles of your town? SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING DUCK AND COVER IN BASEMENT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

I second this. I grew up in Texas, where only snow/ice scares you, because no one has a clue how to deal with 1/128th of an inch of snow on the ground, and go sliding all over playing bumper cars with their dual exhaust, lifted 4x4 trucks.

Move to Michigan, and every single time there is the slightest gust of wind during a thunderstorm my in-laws run and hide in the basement, while I stand on the porch under the eaves and enjoy the storm and attempt to explain how there is NO WAY a tornado will hit us, being in a big valley where tornadoes are rarer than a blue moon.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: October 07, 2013, 07:41:25 am »

The English are hilarious that way - my mum once was stuck in London for three days because the tunnel, the ferries and all airports had been rendered unusable by one or two inches of snow.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:10 am »

How can the freaking tunnel be affected by snow?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:39 am »

Science!

Anyway, I'm sure those wacky English people* had a good reason :P

*I mean all of this in a joking manner

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: October 07, 2013, 10:34:54 am »

That happens to trains in Sweden too but mainly because the trains are Italian and not made for winters. Sever years in a row they've had to bring out old locomotives from train museum to get any trains running at all during the cold season.
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »

Italian trains?

Fyras?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: October 07, 2013, 12:26:53 pm »

Italian trains?

Fyras?
There are other shitty Italian trains. Though well, the Phyra kinda beat them in uselessness. Spontanously igniting is not considered a good thing in a high-speed train.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: October 07, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

Sounds like my latest minecart system.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: October 07, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »

Today, on Stupid Things, we have a special feature dramatic reading by Slowbeef.
Oh man, the minute where it goes over the edge of the precipice... that was eerie yet glorious.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: October 08, 2013, 12:33:51 am »

1% chance of small tornado coming within 100 miles of your town? SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING DUCK AND COVER IN BASEMENT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

I second this. I grew up in Texas, where only snow/ice scares you, because no one has a clue how to deal with 1/128th of an inch of snow on the ground, and go sliding all over playing bumper cars with their dual exhaust, lifted 4x4 trucks.

Move to Michigan, and every single time there is the slightest gust of wind during a thunderstorm my in-laws run and hide in the basement, while I stand on the porch under the eaves and enjoy the storm and attempt to explain how there is NO WAY a tornado will hit us, being in a big valley where tornadoes are rarer than a blue moon.

I live in Missouri. The people here are cowards about weather. ANY inclement weather and everyone FREAKS out and hides in a hole. Heavy rain? OH GOD, WE'RE GOING TO HYRDOPLANE AND DIE. Thunderstorm w/ wind? OH GOD, TORNADOS! (I like on the downslope of a hill that is one half of two hills forming a cove. If a tornado hit my home, it would be A DIRECT ACTION OF GOD.) Snow? SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: October 08, 2013, 12:49:50 am »

New York is remarkably stoic about the weather. Other then the apparently occasional hurricane, we rarely have anything that significantly impacts daily life. I mean even hail is OK. It has to be a total blow-out for people to have a problem.

Snow related side-track: Legally all New York Drivers have to learn how to drive through snow. It's because of upstate; Lake effect snow. Hell, according to Wikipedia the Area up there has the most snow of any non-mountainous region in the lower 48. There is the record of 77 inches (6ft 5, almost 2 meters) in a day, 100 inches over a week (2.5 meters) and a winter accumulation record of 39 feet. That is a lot of Snow.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: October 08, 2013, 10:55:47 am »

I live in Missouri. The people here are cowards about weather. ANY inclement weather and everyone FREAKS out and hides in a hole. Heavy rain? OH GOD, WE'RE GOING TO HYRDOPLANE AND DIE. Thunderstorm w/ wind? OH GOD, TORNADOS! (I like on the downslope of a hill that is one half of two hills forming a cove. If a tornado hit my home, it would be A DIRECT ACTION OF GOD.) Snow? SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.
Heh. Here in San Diego, one drop of rain hits the ground, and everyone freaks out. Either people start dancing in it, or refuse to drive in it. If there it so much as showers, everyone batons down the hatches and bundles up with blankets and hot chocolate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: October 08, 2013, 11:17:32 am »

"Inequations are exactly the same as equations."
What is this I don't even.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: October 08, 2013, 02:33:23 pm »

"Inequations are exactly the same as equations."
What is this I don't even.

X = Y --> X =/=  Y

What part of that confuses you?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 510