Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004316 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6720 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:09 am »

My teachers call the DNA code "degenerated", because of its redundancy (I think). So this is "degenerating" in the same meaning, because in a way, any debate about sexuality is about chemistry in the first place :P
#feeble_attempt_at_justificating_himself
I said 'degenerating?' because it's not degenerating, the conversation is improving.

Secondly, it's called a degenerate code because many base triplets code for the same amino acid.

I prefer to think of them as Undocmented opcodes. Except instead of killing your cells or creating some sort of dual-purpose amino acid they just do the exact same thing another triplet does. (In case you can't tell, I tend to think of DNA and all the related systems like a computer :P)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: October 13, 2013, 06:17:55 am »

My friend once said that how good something is directly corresponds to its popularity, and then everyone backed him up.

I facepalmed.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: October 13, 2013, 06:20:38 am »

My friend once said that how good something is directly corresponds to its popularity, and then everyone backed him up.

I facepalmed.
His opinion is very good.  :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: October 13, 2013, 06:38:28 am »

Doesn't stop that from being stupid, though he was what i would percieve as popular.

He then went on to say that if something costs money it is automatically better than something that is free(he cited dwarf fortress(a game he had never played) vs Minecraft). And still they continued to support him. I think it shows how people i know are sheep or butt kissers(in a way both).

EDIT: After thinking for a fraction of a second, i think they may have failed to see Dwarf Fortresses inner beauty as a complicated master piece expressed in a simple way(if not particular kind to the untrained eye).

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 06:42:58 am by gigaraptor487 »
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: October 13, 2013, 06:47:59 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6725 on: October 13, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »

Oh, definitively.
He then went on to say that if something costs money it is automatically better than something that is free(he cited dwarf fortress(a game he had never played) vs Minecraft).
Somebody bring out the '2CASUAL4U' banner.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: October 13, 2013, 03:55:52 pm »

Somebody bring out the '2CASUAL4U' banner.
6.07638945782E+25
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: October 14, 2013, 02:50:17 am »

Is 2CASUAL4U in base 35 or 36 there?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: October 14, 2013, 04:50:50 am »

I think he used the ASCII code.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: October 14, 2013, 05:15:58 am »

Bay12: The only place where internet phrases are put into numbers :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:12 am »

Doesn't stop that from being stupid, though he was what i would percieve as popular.

He then went on to say that if something costs money it is automatically better than something that is free(he cited dwarf fortress(a game he had never played) vs Minecraft). And still they continued to support him. I think it shows how people i know are sheep or butt kissers(in a way both).

EDIT: After thinking for a fraction of a second, i think they may have failed to see Dwarf Fortresses inner beauty as a complicated master piece expressed in a simple way(if not particular kind to the untrained eye).
Just ignore them if they pull those cards. Or pull a Godwin.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:10 am »

I think he used the ASCII code.
QUIT REPRESSING EBCDIC, ASCII SCUM
#mainframepride

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:59 am »

Is 2CASUAL4U in base 35 or 36 there?
I actually did 2CASUAL4YOU, not U.
2CASUAL4YOU -> 00110010 01000011 01000001 01010011 01010101 01000001 01001100 00110100 01011001 01001111 01010101 -> 60763894578225989805494101 -> 6.07638945782E+25

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: October 14, 2013, 11:23:23 am »

Changing the topic, my Chem teacher, although bright, has had two major Stupid moments recently.

#1 was when we were studying dimensional analysis. I argued that the English system is better than metric for everyday use, because it is based on body parts. She responded with the standard arguments. Later that day, she denied the superiority of the binary system, even though I was defending it using the exact same arguments she had earlier.

#2 Was when me and her had been arguing over a scientific topic the previous day, so when I came in the next morning she handed me an article which supported her claims. What they were is not important. What was important was that she had the utter gall to staple an article about how people don't change their mind after they lose an argument on top of the science part. Of course, she would be much more susceptible to that effect than I would, because she held superiority over me. My reason for disagreeing was not any psychological aspect, but because I had read articles that had claimed the exact opposite of what she claimed and had been researched a lot more thoroughly. However, she did (kind of) apologize when I pointed out how hypocritical that was of her.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:35 am »

I would disagree with measurement systems based on bodyparts (I assume you mean imperial here?) being good, because people vary dramatically in size.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 510