Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002245 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6945 on: October 18, 2013, 12:24:51 pm »

Yup. They do.

Still doesn't count as consent, if that's why you're bringing it up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: October 18, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »

But why does consent matter?

Esp. in regards to an animal that's about to be killed without it's consent anyway.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: October 18, 2013, 12:45:58 pm »

You know, I feel kinda sad saying other stupid things.
Me: Why is iOS better than Android?
Friend: Because Apple made it.

Ignoring the fact that most of the "new" features of iOS7 are basically stolen (Couldn't find a better word) from various Android versions. (Not sure how to call the various versions manufacturers use.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: October 18, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »

But a progressive country also respects and protects the religious and cultural traditions of its minorities, does it not? Banning kosher/halal slaughter could be seen as religious persecution.
It's good to allow for religious freedom, so long as it does not mean making exceptions to secular law for it. You can't just be permitted to do whatever you want because your religion tells you to. That way madness lies.
Some countries (mostly Commonwealth. Canada, I think Britain, Australia too) allow Sikhs and other turban wearers to wear a turban instead of a bicycle helmet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: October 18, 2013, 01:27:56 pm »

That doesn't sound safe to me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: October 18, 2013, 01:29:16 pm »

That doesn't sound safe to me.
It isn't. That's the stupid.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: October 18, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »

Depends on how thick it is.

I mean, if they wore a so-thick-you-cannot-stay-balanced one, it'd be safe. Excluding the fact you'd fall over all the time.
Inb4 turban afro
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

Odd. Y'all seem to be implying there's laws requiring people to wear bicycle helmets...

... checking, it looks like the current law where I'm at is that's true only for people under 16. Silly USA.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: October 18, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »

Yeah, it's legally required in Not-America.

Also known as "Sanity Land".

Anyway, no, they did tests and the average turban does not have the protective power of a helmet to absorb the shock of a head injury.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »

I don't see much reason to make adults wear helmets. They know the risks enough to choose whether or not to take the chance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: October 18, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »

Actually, I tend to object to laws like that, that're concerned purely with personal safety. Like seatbelts. If it affects no one else but yourself, why not just leave it as personal choice? Not wearing a helmet is stupid, yes. But my lack of brain bucket isn't threatening anyone else.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: October 18, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »

I don't see much reason to make adults wear helmets. They know the risks enough to choose whether or not to take the chance.
If society is directly or indirectly footing the healthcare bills and disability pensions, I think there's a good case to be made in favor of the law. Same with seatbelts.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: October 18, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »

If society is directly or indirectly footing the healthcare bills and disability pensions, I think there's a good case to be made in favor of the law. Same with seatbelts.
The problem with that is that it leads to either hypocrisy or oppressive laws. If you accept the argument that the government can prevent informed adults from doing things detrimental to their health due to healthcare costs, then what's the limit? Why are helmets and seatbelts required, but cigarettes and unhealthy food legal? The latter are far more likely to harm and kill you than neglecting the former. Most people are never involved in an auto accident, but most people are overweight. And since making it illegal won't actually stop it, how badly do you have to have treated yourself before you can be kicked out of the system and left to your own fate? Why should we as a society curtail your personal freedoms in the name of money?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: October 18, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »

Cigarettes are not going to last long, not in Europe anyway. And there has been talk about reducing healthcare refunds for obese people/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »

But why does consent matter?

Esp. in regards to an animal that's about to be killed without it's consent anyway.
In this case, when we're dealing with animals that display clear signs of near-human intelligence: whales, dolphins, apes, octopi, etc. There's a pretty big difference between animals that could conceivably understand what's happening on some level and animals that are more or less mindless instinct-driven grazers. This covers roughly the same category that pretty much all leftists want to ban the killing of outright, for various reasons.

In other words, there's a difference between killing an animal that could reasonably be construed as being of what we think of as sapience and one that isn't, and there is therefore also a difference between fucking an animal in the former category as opposed to one in the latter. The former will always be unacceptable because you're killing/raping what might be a person, the latter is acceptable when harm is minimized and the benefits of doing so exceed the cost of causing harm.

From there, it's fairly obvious. Killing dumb animals for food in a humane manner is acceptable because the benefits (easy, plentiful source of protein &c), while fucking them is not (you don't need to cause harm to get an orgasm). Mind, I'm not saying that zoophiles are morally wrong simply for having their predilection, but when acting on it causes harm it become an issue. S'not any different from any other type or subtype of sexuality: it's all well and good unless you're harming another being against their consent.

Cigarettes are not going to last long, not in Europe anyway. And there has been talk about reducing healthcare refunds for obese people/
Ah, now I've having fond dreams about what it would take for that in the States. It's silly to treat one unhealthy habit as if it were completely uncontrollable while regulating others heavily.

Unrelated: Saw a username today (elsewhere) that read thus:
TeaPartyisTaliban

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 510