Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452830 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1950 on: May 13, 2015, 03:14:32 am »

It's a pretty solid deal. All of those games (with the sole exception of poopy Impire) are solid. The DLC for EU4 and CK2 are probably the weakest that could have been chosen, hopefully the hidden bonuses will be more/better DLC.

It's not as good as those epic Paradox packs Amazon used to sell but it's still a very good entry you don't already have the games. With a Steam sale approaching soon you should be able to pick up the remaining expansions/dlc for barely anything at all.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:01 am »

So, any of you following the dev diaries for the new DLC? I didn't even know about it until about a week ago. The new protestant mechanics and buddhist revamp look really nice, though I'm a bit wary that karma might be too gimmicky for my tastes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 13, 2015, 06:14:17 am »

So, any of you following the dev diaries for the new DLC? I didn't even know about it until about a week ago. The new protestant mechanics and buddhist revamp look really nice, though I'm a bit wary that karma might be too gimmicky for my tastes.
Those are pretty minor. The real big thing about the expansion will be the fort system overhaul, followed by the redesigned buildings. That will change the game quite a bit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 13, 2015, 08:18:02 am »

Development and peace deal changes are all pretty big as well. It's looking like an extremely good expansion and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 13, 2015, 11:29:18 am »

Those are pretty minor. The real big thing about the expansion will be the fort system overhaul, followed by the redesigned buildings. That will change the game quite a bit.
Development and peace deal changes are all pretty big as well. It's looking like an extremely good expansion and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Oh, I haven't had time to plow through all dev diaries yet, I only managed to find the religion and reworked eastern europe map ones. I did read some people commenting it would probably fix the map painting fest that the game currently is and that sounds big indeed, since as much as I'd like to like EUIV it just feels like one of my worst purchases because I'm more of an internal politics kind of person and it has nearly none of that.

Gonna chase down the other ones right now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 13, 2015, 02:28:38 pm »

Wow, that thing looks fantastic. Almost like a whole new game, can't wait to throw money at that and spend winter break playing.

Behold! All dev diaries!
Thanks  :D

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »

So I just got this in the sweet-ass Paradox Humble Bundle, unfortunately it doesn't have all the DLC. Is the game playable without them? I was planning on waiting for the Steam Summer sale and then buying them all then. Then again, I might also wait until they are done releasing DLC and buy them all at once.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 13, 2015, 02:55:06 pm »

So I just got this in the sweet-ass Paradox Humble Bundle, unfortunately it doesn't have all the DLC. Is the game playable without them? I was planning on waiting for the Steam Summer sale and then buying them all then.
The game is very playable without the DLC, EUIV DLC tends to fall into three categories: extra events, graphical stuff or new things you can do in game that tend to be limited to specific situations (although not always). While the DLC content is great once you got it as it makes things a lot more flexible or interesting (depending on who you are playing), you can play the base game initially without feeling like something is missing. Just don't play as the Aztec, Mayan, or Inca unless you have El Dorado, but that's about it.

Then again, I might also wait until they are done releasing DLC and buy them all at once.
You're probably going to have to wait awhile if you do that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:12 pm »

Art of War is pretty huge. Transferring occupation alone is something that should've been in since EU3, and playing without it now sounds horrible (especially since vassals are now so picky about buying land). AoW gives a few other things related to vassals (using subject CBs, designating marches, war objectives they'll sometimes follow if they're feeling up to it) that are nice as well. I would definitely get it as soon as it goes on sale if you develop any serious interest in EU4. It's a real shame they made transferring occupation a paid feature, it should've been free.

Wealth of Nations has a few useful paid features but isn't necessary. Fabricating trade conflict is somewhat useful in some regions to avoid no CB wars, and moving the trade capital can be nice. Babby westerns also get merchants up the butt from trade companies, but those aren't necessary either.

Res Republica's only real feature I recall is the national focus (+2 MP generation in one category for -1 in the others), which is far from essential but pretty nice. Maybe pick it up when it's dirt cheap.

El Dorito adds some interesting things to play around with (the custom nations) but has no useful features outside of specific regions. You could never buy it and play fine.

Conquest of Paradise is the least useful 'expansion', even less so than El Dorito.

TL;DR
AoW is almost essential to play "seriously", WoN/RR add a couple minor useful features, El Dorito/CoP can be passed over entirely.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 13, 2015, 07:08:10 pm »

El Dorito adds some interesting things to play around with (the custom nations) but has no useful features outside of specific regions. You could never buy it and play fine.

Conquest of Paradise is the least useful 'expansion', even less so than El Dorito.
To expand on this, these two only matter if you got any interest in the american continent. ED is if you want to play as mesoamericans. CoP is if you want to play as the rest of the natives or colonial nations in later dates.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 15, 2015, 05:45:45 am »

Just started a game as Mzab. It's an Ibadi theocracy with 2 base tax in north Africa, and it's probably the worst nation I've ever played. It's an almost spiritual experience, like those people who hallucinate after getting knocked out in a car accident.

After annexing both the tribal nations to your right (which then opens you up to getting DoW'd by the bizarrely keen Mamluks) you still only have like 8 revolting high-autonomy base tax and a force limit of 4 (that you can't afford to maintain). You get to use Morocco for half of one war before they get destroyed by Portugal, and nobody else will ally you while you've still got garbage land and no army. The strategy I ended up going with was to force feed a vassal (spat out from Tlemcen land) most of Morocco while they're still getting wrecked by the scummy Iberians, and then I no CB'd an OPM in Indonesia to prevent independence wars while integrating that big vassal (with like 7 times my base tax).

After getting DoW'd by Tunis a few months later I sent my pathetic army running around in circles in Hejaz with a doomstack on their tail, while waiting for the diploannexation to complete. Within 6 months of Tunis starting their war the Mamluks started a third conquest war, resulting in Tunis being stranded in Hejaz. I wish I could say I planned it, since it's actually hilarious.

Once the Moroccan vassal is integrated it'll probably be time to get off Mr. Bones' wild ride, but there's something really satisfying about being on the verge of getting annexed, and having to lose wars repeatedly for once.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 15, 2015, 10:07:32 pm »

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll wait for the Steam Summer Sale.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 16, 2015, 12:30:05 pm »

Ah, I was wondering if we had a eu4 thread around. Ptw.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 21, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »

Hey,

I love this game. I enjoy playing it whenever I have a free evening, get a drink, do a multiplayer with some friends. I was wondering if there is a list of "required" expansions for the best experience possible or if it's just one of those games that you should really buy all of them?

Also I believe that only 1 member of a group needs the expansions, the game creator, right?
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 216