Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451532 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2013, 08:02:37 am »

It seems like an old EU3 bug is still here: when you reinforce a fighting army in the day it loses a battle the reinforcements also flee. Blergh.

I've also seen nationalist rebels go independent, while taking the one province they had a core on but did NOT occupy, meanwhile leaving three occupied provinces alone. Kinda odd.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2013, 09:13:48 am »

I hate rebels and coalitions so much, My CK2 empire was so massive and I had more trouble with rebels in Ireland where I started then my African holdings or Mongol eastern Europe. Now I can't invade any one due to being so freaking large rebels pop up in groups of twenty thousand or more.

I got my ass handed to me by Lollard rebels as Britain. I love the new rebel mechanics etc. But. I hate Lollards.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:20 am »

Still playing the Aztecs and I am so freakin rich. 128 gold per month. I don't even have anything to spend it on. Right now I feel like I should go to war just to take more provinces to construct manufactories on. I am collecting all of the trade west of the Caribbean, which includes the Philippines and Australia, sadly don't have control of Caribbea itself. I haven't seen war since I conquered the Incas, and am closing the tech gap with western nations. I am also in first place in administration.

125 years to go. Plenty of time to start a new war. Against Spain, for Caribbea.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:13 am »

Still playing the Aztecs and I am so freakin rich. 128 gold per month. I don't even have anything to spend it on. Right now I feel like I should go to war just to take more provinces to construct manufactories on. I am collecting all of the trade west of the Caribbean, which includes the Philippines and Australia, sadly don't have control of Caribbea itself. I haven't seen war since I conquered the Incas, and am closing the tech gap with western nations. I am also in first place in administration.

125 years to go. Plenty of time to start a new war. Against Spain, for Caribbea.
Personally I modded the defines so that building buildings only takes 1 power instead of 10. I really don't see the logic in choosing between EITHER building your country up in practice technologically OR getting the theoretical technology to build yourself up. Why should constructing a ton of trade/naval buildings throughout my country handicap myself in trade/naval tech!? Stupid gamey design decisions, really. Now I finally have something to spend all my money on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2013, 10:37:23 am »

The whole point of the monarch points is that you have to make choices. There's no strategic depth in a system that lets you get everything.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:51 am »

Gotta agree with that.

Plus I am running out of money anyway. Advisors are doing a good job.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2013, 12:19:38 pm »

The whole point of the monarch points is that you have to make choices. There's no strategic depth in a system that lets you get everything.

Why should constructing a ton of trade/naval buildings throughout my country handicap myself in trade/naval tech!?

There's very little strategic depth to a mechanic designed specifically to hamstring players by forcing them to make gamey choices. It is extremely ahistoric to imply that building infrastructure will somehow make you behind in technology.. Due to a number that Paradox slapped on to facilitate gamey choices with faux 'limitations'. Ancient example: I don't think Rome was devolving to the barter system and not upgrading troops while they were building aqueducts.

Also see: Coalitions, which now all but assures players will rush every nearby minor nation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:23:18 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »

All of the systems are gamey and ahistoric. The game would likely be overcomplicated and unfun to play if they weren't.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »

It seems like an old EU3 bug is still here: when you reinforce a fighting army in the day it loses a battle the reinforcements also flee. Blergh.
I've had this happen a couple of times as well. If I was playing an EU3 expansion I'd probably just accept it but EU4 wasn't exactly cheap to buy and already have a couple of dlc's. It's kind of sad to see they haven't done something about such an easily reproduced awkwardness.

Edit: By the way. Anyone else having the HRE turning into a crazy free for all and ending up as a bunch of medium-ish blobs?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:57:24 pm by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »

All of the systems are gamey and ahistoric. The game would likely be overcomplicated and unfun to play if they weren't.

How about those arbitrary limits on non-white people, then? Shall those be removed? Gamey and ahistoric is the creed, I suppose, but it shouldn't be SELECTIVELY applicable. Make it historical or ahistorical.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:19 pm »

How about those arbitrary limits on non-white people, then? Shall those be removed? Gamey and ahistoric is the creed, I suppose, but it shouldn't be SELECTIVELY applicable. Make it historical or ahistorical.
Yeah, I think they did keep the inferior unit types for some reason (That is, when they're at the same tech level they're just worse).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »

I rather like the monarch power system.  It fixes a problem with EUIII that I never really noticed until I played EUIV, which is that at was all divided into a million different gameplay mechanics that worked in a largely separate manner.

Coalitions are terribly implemented, but the game does need something like that.  The AI in previous paradox titles has been really bad at responding to a growing deathblob (see: HRE and England in CK2 sitting idly while Iberian Muslims invade France and become unstoppable, despite being allowed to join the war), and this gives them a cue to unify and fight together.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »

Is it just me or does it feel a lot quicker to expand in this compared to EU3?
It feels the same to me as well, especially with the tremendous blobbing of the HRE states.  Then again, I haven't played vanilla EU3 in years; most of my games were played using Magna Mundi or other mods that hammer on profligate expansionism, especially in the HRE, so my perspective may be slightly warped.  I think it's largely a matter of tweaking the balance for things like claims and core generation, though, to fix many of the worst issues. 

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »

I agree that coalitions are a great idea but badly implemented. As it stands now, it basically forces the player to abuse truces unless they want to never conquer anything. ie: ensure that you're pretty much constantly at war and everyone who hates you is on a separate truce timer.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »

There will soon be MEIOU and Taxes for EU4.

MEIOU will end up being vanilla fixed+ before the first patch is even out, heh.

I'm glad, too, this release is a shamble. I can't even believe this ridiculous retreat [go to a random-fucking-province] mechanic. Want to strategically draw someone to a province nearby by retreating there? Not happening anymore in EU.

And, once again in Paradox fashion, events, especially chained events, are broken as all hell. Get a peasant war event, skip to whenever the stop trigger is supposed to kick in [according to forum it's somewhere between 1,000 days and never] then try to use the 'pay money' option to end it. Doesn't work, and takes money, leaving peasant war in place. Lol.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:55:06 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 216