Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451507 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2013, 12:34:02 pm »

I wonder why they go with a mercator projection.

You wanted the peters projection. Face it.  :P

But yeah I also found weird why mercator. Surface area gets royally fucked (not that in EU3 it wasn't weird. New zealand was about as big as china in that projection)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2013, 12:38:56 pm »

I wonder why they go with a mercator projection.

You wanted the peters projection. Face it.  :P

But yeah I also found weird why mercator. Surface area gets royally fucked (not that in EU3 it wasn't weird. New zealand was about as big as china in that projection)

As a cartographer I am pleased with this discussion.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »

Well I've just discovered that no amount of tech speed buffing, units slightly superior to western, or modded rulers will keep my head above water with 350% over extension. Holy crap. I ended up having to buff my manpower 30k in the console because I spent two years happily marching my 50 unit army around India assuming my 7 maneuver from my ruler would protect me from attrition. It does not. I dunno why I thought soldiers would work like boats. Holy crap 5 attrition tropical penalty. And since I was obsessed with taking all of India I was constantly at war as soon as truces were up. I spent most of my bonus Admin from my super ruler pumping stability.

In the end I had 3 idea groups by 1500 and none of them were trade, expansion, or exploration because I needed admin and religious for keeping my costs down like interest on all my loans and quickly changing religions to avoid all out anarchy. I took innovation first because I like tech speed bonuses. Bad, bad decision. I am now limited to the small amount of sea exploration my original special explorers, that I added due to Ceylon having ZERO map knowledge and thus needing explorers to even reach Venad, which went from the cape of good hope to the Straits of Johore with pretty much no land knowledge. I discovered mid to northern India primarily from my wars as my conquistadors also died early. I haven't gotten new ocean knowledge for over 30 years. And I'm a good 10 more years to getting my 4th idea group even with my insane tech boosts.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:09 pm »

Go with diplomatic idea group, -33% core cost!

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2013, 01:05:14 pm »

I wish I could trade in innovation for diplo or something.

Also, turns out I didn't pause the game when I went to answer the door and make that post and punish the toilet, I came back to a game that had gone on without me for three years, Bengal respawned except without the Bengal Delta, but its sieged and about 80% of northern India is fully sieged by rebels. Damn I hope I have an autosave that is far back enough because I am BONED.

Stupid not pausing the game.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »

Well, I did not have an autosave far back enough and my regular save would lose me about 10 years compared to the autosave. Hadn't even conquered Bengal. Gonna revert the sieges with console and then fight off the still existing armies with mine. Man I am gonna take a huge stab hit, lose a ton of manpower and slow my core progression ugh.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »

Well, I formed the Netherlands from Friesland after 90 years, could have been a bit sooner even. Quite proud of that, even though its only against standard AI :p

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:27 pm »

@MoLAoS: what did you expect 250% over the OE cap, really? That would be equivalent to 100 infamy in EU3 DW, considerably easier to decrease, but just as disastrous.

On a side note, WC seems to be mechanically impossible on vanilla without exploiting vassals and PUs, and most certainly not worth it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:47:22 pm by Azthor »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:48 pm »

Yeah, I really don't see it either. You can take at most 12 provinces or as little as 2 before going over overextension. Even wars for colonial territories rack up massive overextension (I have like 60 from Hispanoila alone, and it'll take TEN years to core it.) and end up even worse because of longer cores.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »

Well, after resetting the disaster that happened when I left the game running on accident I have all my cores done in 1528 except some colonial ones. I am using my missionaries and dip power to culture and religion my guys properly and as soon as India, which I control every province of plus some middle east lands and 15 colonies, I am going on a rampage. I have a lot of money from peace time, fully loaded manpower and like 60 existing armies and my high mil and naval tradition got my some great generals. I finally got exploration ideas and it's filled so I have 2 conquistadors who are also amazing because of my high tradition plus 3 high level explorers. I had 4 but one died to attrition because they hit pirates when they were returning to port to heal.

I'm probably going to fight my way through South East Asia till my borders extend to the chinese, ming and chou being north and south respectively. Then I'll probably either dig into the middle east or prepare for the overextension fest that is conquering China without ever taking vassals. I wanna paint the map goddammit not have stupid vassals.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:35 am »

In the end I had 3 idea groups by 1500 and none of them were trade, expansion, or exploration because I needed admin and religious for keeping my costs down like interest on all my loans and quickly changing religions to avoid all out anarchy. I took innovation first because I like tech speed bonuses. Bad, bad decision. I am now limited to the small amount of sea exploration my original special explorers, that I added due to Ceylon having ZERO map knowledge and thus needing explorers to even reach Venad, which went from the cape of good hope to the Straits of Johore with pretty much no land knowledge. I discovered mid to northern India primarily from my wars as my conquistadors also died early. I haven't gotten new ocean knowledge for over 30 years. And I'm a good 10 more years to getting my 4th idea group even with my insane tech boosts.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. BEHOLD

Aargh! I want it so bad but I just had to go and take innovative.

But seriously, administrative sucks, take trade or economy idea groups instead.

I'm bothered with how the overextension penalty is calculated - it doesn't matter if your empire is tiny or spans half of asia, that 10 income province will grind your empire to a halt. Honestly those excessive nerfs by paradox so people don't pull a napoleon or gengis gets annoying sometimes. Same goes for the massive tech nerf for non-europe.
This so much. It's much, much harder to make my beautiful sprawling empire now. Coalitions are just minimally annoying though, since I have to wait a decade to get rid of my overextension by which time it's fallen apart. Or I just steamroll over all of them like the pitiful bugs they are.

Don't even get me started on the lack of nice casus belli's and the extremely sucky Unam Sanctum

EDIT: This had made me quit my recent Japan Campaign, despite having control over most of america and have a decent stake to parts of africa and asia proper.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:15:17 am by Demonic Spoon »

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:38 am »

Got this. Started playing Poland, formed Commonwealth, I'm now halfway through the game and not only from sea to sea and colonizing Africa (wonders of fleet basing rights), but also from Berlin to Moscow, almost literally (Moscow is still Muscovy capital, so I can't take it), and I start to realize what you mean about coalitions. I have Ottomans, Muscovy, Novogrod, Hungary, Austria, Bohemia (who is Emperor), huge Denmark (ruling over all Scandinavia) and a bunch of German semi-minors all against me. And some African country neighboring my colonies. It is so frustrating to fight Ottomans for five years just to get one little province from Pommerania...

Oh well. The first thing I have noticed, though, was the fact that all non-major nations have the same set of National ideas, which, by the way, suck. So my idea was born - I want to create a set of National idea groups, geographically based, that could be used with your game to make playing minors more interesting. Also, to make it viable to fit into any mod created, to make other's lives easier. So if you have any idea for an idea, especially in less popular regions of the world (for example, I know close to nothing about India), you can drop me a hint (as a private message, preferably), and I will soon start little modding. Maybe with German or Italian ideas for minors from those regions?

If it will go well, I will probably take this to separate thread or something, before unleashing it on the Paradox forums or something. Never liked those Paradox forums, by the way.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:18 am »

I was going to hook up Magna Mundi. Lost my EU3 CDs, so went on pirate bay to borrow some. Couldn't find EU3 with IN+NA, all the top downloads were EU4. Wait.. EU4, wtf, how long have I been away from gaming?  :o

So yeah, how does EU4 match up against Magna Mundi? I suppose there's a hefty price tag on it for now, so I'll wait til later.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2013, 09:15:03 am »

snip
I personally find it really stupid that there's a single country with generic ideas. The way Paradox explained it during the dev diaries I expected every minor nation to at least have "cultural ideas" like German minors sharing the same idea group. The cynic in me what to say that it's nothing more than an aggressive move to market DLC since I really doubt it could be that hard to come up with 12 or so blanket culture ideas.

There's already a couple mods focusing on giving minors ideas. Might be worth it to join those if you're really interested in the project.

So yeah, how does EU4 match up against Magna Mundi? I suppose there's a hefty price tag on it for now, so I'll wait til later.
I never played much Magna Mundi but I did think it had a completely different feel to EU3. EU4 on the other hand is much like EU3 with some improved mechanics and some completely new mechanics like the leader point system. I would suggest trying out the demo and formulating an opinion on that. Right now I'm really enjoying it but I think it still needs a couple DLCs under it's belt to have some really great longevity.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:58 am »

So I decided to try the papal state for a bit, with the chief idea being taking the diplomacy idea group with the eventual goal of getting the revolution and counter-revolution idea, since the papacy is one of several unique govrnements, and that would mean I would get casus belli's against everyone. I had no such luck however, with no new casus belli's showing up, regardless of whether I'm bordering the other nation or not.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 216