Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449750 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #660 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:06 am »

Hrmmm, sounds like this isn't going to be like EU3 where you can just get insanely strong with anyone and then devour entire countries. No WC = no fun. Let my alternate reality be as chaotic as I want it to be!

I was gonna buy this on the next big sale, but maybe not even then.

Did EU3 sound this bad when it first came out?

You know you can just mod anything you don't like. I've been pretty tempted to mod some of the stuff impeding world conquest.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:08 am »

Hrmmm, sounds like this isn't going to be like EU3 where you can just get insanely strong with anyone and then devour entire countries. No WC = no fun. Let my alternate reality be as chaotic as I want it to be!

I was gonna buy this on the next big sale, but maybe not even then.

Did EU3 sound this bad when it first came out?

You know you can just mod anything you don't like. I've been pretty tempted to mod some of the stuff impeding world conquest.

Not really interested in learning how to mod games. I took a look at the EU3 save game and that was enough to make me lose any interest I might of had.

If saying modifying it was good enough they wouldn't of changed anything in any of the EU3 games. They obviously have some sort of idea as to how they want their game to be, and I am wondering if EU3 had as many troubles as EU4 when it first came out. If it did, I can look forward to seeing a polished product that will make me addicted to it like I am to EU3.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 18, 2013, 02:47:38 am »

What do save files have to do with modding? Save files are more for cheating. Modding is trivially simple, its not like you are modding code.

Modding to make world conquest easier is pretty simple. Mod in superior national ideas for instance. Mod in a new CB to limit aggressive expansion. Personally I modded it for more and earlier idea groups and a tech group equal to western for India.

The modifications Paradox has made so far are actually making it harder to do world conquest.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 18, 2013, 04:08:16 am »

Not really interested in learning how to mod games. I took a look at the EU3 save game and that was enough to make me lose any interest I might of had.
The save files are far more labyrinthine than the actual game files.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2013, 12:53:22 pm »

Modding the Paradox grand strategy games is so freaking easy. You're basically just typing in some text in an ini file or a text file. Hell, most of the time someone else has already done all the work for you so just copy and paste their stuff.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »

Plus, I saw some mods to make WC easier, by removing cost time increase, making blobbing easier (though, that one might have been intended to help the AI, just saw the title), etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 20, 2013, 03:42:17 am »

Who though the whole overseas provinces things was a good idea? I understand that without the no overextension/core cost reduction colonizing the Americas/Africa would not be worthwhile, but then as Japan I have to pay through the nose to colonize the Philipines, but sending settlers in Alaska is ok? WTF?! Why just not give a colony tag that reduce admin cost and remove overstension.

I'm currently giving me free core to all non-overseas colonies for this reasons, but it sure feels cheaty.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:44 am »

As the Mamluks I get tariffs from Cyprus ;_;

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:05 am »

Yeah, overseas just mean "on a different landmass AND continent". So Japan taking Ceylan is not oversea, but Castille taking Morocco is. Doesn't make sense.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2013, 09:07:21 am »

Quite a few mods for EUIII made north Africa part of the European Continent for that reason.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #670 on: September 20, 2013, 09:17:00 am »

Damn Castille.
Playing as Savoy -and being an outright first time player of EU IV- I managed not to rage quit the first few times but now...
Really!
Stop using the Conquest Casus Belli.
And then, of course, both Venice and Milan AND switzerland had to try and come in after the 40+ castille army did its job.
Unfortunately for them, I've got mercenaries and -extreme string of luck- 147 ducats in my purse after the bank became happy.
I'm not giving Cremona back to the Venetians, and now Lombardy...you're going to pay for going against the might of the Savoy Royal family!
(BTW, my king has Five Diplomat and Five Administrative...and only one military...he's like...'yep, we're going into the future!')

Another thing...is it normal I'm getting steamrolled militarily?
I mean, I had twenty-two troops plus general, against nine troops from Castille...and the nine troops won.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 20, 2013, 09:23:41 am »

check miltech, military ideas, generals, type of ground, maintenance etc etc

probably castille has a high military king which let them get ahead in military tech and leaders

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #672 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:34 am »

it's also a matter of dice.
I mean, I know it might sound paranoid, but they get 'eight' on their dices like...always.
I get two and threes.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #673 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:50 am »

If it's near the beginning of the game, they shouldn't have a significant tech lead on you (and shouldn't really have a significant tech lead later, either). They might have had a better general, you might not have full morale (especially if you're not funding your military right), your twenty-two troops could have been full of injured regiments (full-strength regiments are better than twice their number in manpower of weakened regiments. That is, 9 regiments totalling 9000 troops would be stronger than 36 regiments totalling 18000 troops. Maybe not, but there's definitely a big disadvantage for weakened regiments), you could have had an imbalance of cavalry and infantry and get a penalty, they could have a correct balance of cavalry and infantry and gotten an advantage you didn't have, you could have crossed a river and gotten a penalty, or the RNG could just hate you.

Lots of possibilities.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 20, 2013, 09:27:08 am »

you probably didn't turn off lucky nations then, i think that gives +1 dice roll?

best to turn it off when playing a minor, leave it on when playing someone who starts powerful, imo
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 216