Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452858 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #675 on: September 20, 2013, 09:35:38 am »

Just as Twiggie suggested it's always a good idea to check what military level the enemy is at. Unlike other games the EU series has strange jumps in power at different military tech levels. There's also the very real possibility that they had a super general due to the stupid buffs that "lucky countries" get. You also have to consider frontage (only a certain amount of troops can fight at a certain time). Bad dice rolls plus bad terrain modifiers and it can be extremely easy to lose a doom stack or six.
Castile could also very likely be the Defender of the Faith which gives quite a decent morale bonus which I believe is +0.50.

It sounds like you're a little later in the game. You'll want to start progressing towards a 2:1 ratio of infantry to artillery with a couple cavalry units mixed in to maximise frontage. You'll want to take at least a single military idea although I tend to go for two (defence and quality).

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #676 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:10 am »

lucky nations goes off next time I play then...
luck means nothing in the face of true chaos!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:30 am »

I find lucky countries complete bollocks. The bonuses they get are just silly (6/6/6 leaders), they already have the best national ideas in the game.
I understand the purpose of them, to have a respectable enemy to fight at "endgame". However all they turn out to be (for me at least) is a major annoyance at the start and just a slightly harder target at later dates.

Paradox advertised empires "rising and falling due to their monarchs" but I've never seen that because the lucky countries get nothing but demigods for centuries.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:56:46 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #678 on: September 20, 2013, 11:02:50 am »

playing without Lucky countries.
Baden curbstomped Switzerland.
Then weakened milan enough for Savoy to employ the 'Change form of government' excuse to attack.
Onwards Savoyards! Italy shall be ours once more!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:12 pm »

I find lucky countries complete bollocks. The bonuses they get are just silly (6/6/6 leaders), they already have the best national ideas in the game.
I understand the purpose of them, to have a respectable enemy to fight at "endgame". However all they turn out to be (for me at least) is a major annoyance at the start and just a slightly harder target at later dates.

Paradox advertised empires "rising and falling due to their monarchs" but I've never seen that because the lucky countries get nothing but demigods for centuries.
Agreed, all lucky countries does is have the same 8 nations become super powers. I am not fundamentally against the idea of lucky nations. If it was implemented truly randomly (and none of the "it randomly picks 8 from 10 countries"), then it would be a fine idea. Having different nations every game rise to power would be pretty neat IMHO.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 20, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »

Lucky nations is the most ahistorical junk ever thought up for a game like this. I removed the obnoxious and unfair bonuses from LN and added them to general bonuses for the AI. Paradox just likes to shoehorn such -features- so that 'proper' white countries win the whole game.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »

are we going to have the "colonists totally weren't overpowered in real life it's paradox being eurocentric (and potentially racist)" discussion again. because if that is what you're going for, go ahead, but tell me when people are going to get bored with it so next time i get here for reasons like discussing game strategy or mods i can actually do so

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:20 pm »

you probably didn't turn off lucky nations then, i think that gives +1 dice roll?
It doesn't. Dices are dices. Lucky nation changes other things though.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:02 pm »

Lucky nations is the most ahistorical junk ever thought up for a game like this. I removed the obnoxious and unfair bonuses from LN and added them to general bonuses for the AI. Paradox just likes to shoehorn such -features- so that 'proper' white countries win the whole game.
>Implies Turkey is a 'proper white country'
>Implies luck and fairness are related
>Uses the word historical which never works out in a EU discussion ;)

I do think that random lucky nations should have a a) more random chance, b) more lucky nations so some non-Europeans nations can become it too, and c) have a very low chance to pick the historically lucky nations. In my last game the only two random lucky nations that aren't normally lucky were Baden en the Teutonic Order.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2013, 12:31:23 pm »

Aren't the Mamlucks historical too ? They are in my Ottoman game.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:55 pm »

They might have gotten it because you, as Ottomans, couldn't.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:16 pm »

As far as I know the Mamluks cannot be a "historical" lucky country. You can tell who is and who isn't a lucky country in your game by going to the trade mode and seeing a "lucky +10% trade effectivity" tool tip.

From memory the only "historical" countries that can be "lucky" have their capital in europe which include
Sweden
England
France
Ottomans
Muscovy
Castile
Portugal
Austria (?)

EDIT: the more I type "lucky" the more I see it as a very silly word.
DOUBLE EDIT: checked on the wiki to check if I was right, I was.

This is the stupid buff that lucky countries get (according to the wiki):
Global Trade Power +10%
Colonist Success Chance +5%
Global Missionary Strength +1%
Leader Fire +1
Leader Shock +1
Military Tech Cost -2%
Diplomatic Tech Cost -2%
Administrative Tech Cost -2%
Spy Offensive Chance +5%
Stability Cost Modifier -10%
Defensiveness +25%
Available Advisors +1
Maintenance Free Leaders +1
Chance of Heir +25%
Global Revolt Risk -1
Yearly Legitimacy +1
Yearly Republican Tradition +1

Plus 6/6/6 cheaters leaders.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:54:10 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »

I checked and the Mamlucks are historical in my Ottomans Ironmode game, maybe because I can't, but they definitively can. They have the +25% fort defense luck modifier.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2013, 01:13:56 pm »

One of the other 8 must be annexed then. There are always 8 lucky nations.

Edit: you being the ottos also freed a slot of course.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 20, 2013, 01:14:48 pm »

are we going to have the "colonists totally weren't overpowered in real life it's paradox being eurocentric (and potentially racist)" discussion again. because if that is what you're going for, go ahead, but tell me when people are going to get bored with it so next time i get here for reasons like discussing game strategy or mods i can actually do so

+1 post count? Lol
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 216