Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449720 times)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #780 on: October 09, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »

France has some great ideas, they have some good provinces, to top it off it will very likely get Lucky Nations if you have it on. If any nation is going to give you trouble in the game, chances are it's gonna be France unless everyone gangs up.

But on the bright side, at least they don't have Prussian ideas. Seriously, check the Prussian ideas. They are absurd.

Yeah, they are absurd. This went worse after some time, but I fully enjoyed this 5k vs 50k nonstop casualties ratio. Outright killing in one go 20-25 stacks? No problem. Then I went to examine France and Austria ideas. Seriously, any prussian capable country will wipe them over. Repeatedly. +20 discipline is so OP it's not funny.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #781 on: October 09, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

It would be nice if core time could just be capped at like 10 years.

Core time is capped at 20 years for 1.2. 1.2 was a bunch of fixes so that WC might be easier. I think you just bit off way more than you could chew there.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:46 pm »

Rule of thumb: don't go over 100% AE.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 09, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »

It would be nice if core time could just be capped at like 10 years.

Core time is capped at 20 years for 1.2. 1.2 was a bunch of fixes so that WC might be easier. I think you just bit off way more than you could chew there.

Not at all. I don't have any problems taking down rebels. 1.2 set coring time to scale with nation size. So whether I took 100% extension or 700% extension I would still have to wait 15 years to get my cores.

The main problem is that I have to sit and do literally nothing for 15 years after every expansion phase. Its ridiculous. But more importantly, its boring.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #784 on: October 09, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »

You think that's boring?

As Savoy, expanding in Italy means annexing countries under HRE, which is fine if Austria forgets to 'call your bluff'.
(at least in the beginning, because if Austria declares the territory you hold 'unlawful' you either give them back or suffer penalties in them)
Then thankfully Austria's seat is taken over by someone else. (In my case it was for a short while the palatinate and then someone else still).
When it finally got to me, I realized something: the more kings die fast, (with little changes to relationships) the easier it is to stack up on HRE powers (since the electors will revote you)
 Now my seat is pretty much secure, and I'm making my way to the 're-unite HRE'.
It's going to be fun when I reach that point because...well, those who don't follow...BAM.
And those who follow...Immediate Annexation. At least, that's what I understood.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:42 am »

Hope you guys don't mind me asking a question or two more. I think I've a pretty good grasp on most game concepts by now (with the exception of the catholic church and hre stuff), just need a bit more advice of matters economic.

So I've been trying to figure out what is factoring in my empire's economy, wich is apparently the second strongest in the world (castile is first methinks), and how adding buildings will help me out.

First how does production and trade relate? If I increase my production, I increase my trade value in the trade node with it? But I also gain money from production alone, regardless of trade power I may or may not have in that node? If I increase my production, I take it it's best I ensure a high trade power in that node to doubly benefit?

Secondly, how does supply and demand work? I see they are both percentages, common sense would suggest increasing production would increase supply globally, but what factors into demand? I see that, for instance, the value on sugar has decreased pretty sharply compared to previous centuries, probably because of my and castile's colonization, will the value continue to drop if I ramp up production? Is it worth it at all to invest in my production capacity, or does that depend on global demand?

Thirdly, how do I counteract a merchant pulling trade value? If I understand correctly the power of the pull depends on the power in the trade node being pulled to, but what determines how much value gets pulled? Is it a factor of the trade power of the node being pulled to to the power of the merchant's nation in that trade node? Can I reduce the amount being pulled away from a node by another merchant by increasing my trade power there?

Lastly is there any benefit at all to increasing trade power in a node where I soly controle provinces? Does it help a merchant who is collecting from trade there, or is there really no point to it.

If you would like an idea of my economic situation and what considerations I'm making here's an overview: I controle all pronvinces in the mexico node, wich has a modest trade value (and no trade node to pull from, sadly) and is getting most its income from gold mines.  I have a pretty strong influence in Panama (the inca trade power is laughable), sitting at about 55% in power and a pretty good value. I have close to no influence in the carribean, where castile and portugal are dominant. The two are pulling a large amount of trade value from panama to carribeans,and from there to southern europe. I would like to increase my production in panama but not before I stop more then half the value from leaving the node and flowing to europe. Also, if I were to hypothetically gain a strong influence in the carribean, would I benefit from placing my capital there and pulling trade value to there from my other regions?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also on another note, what determines the size of a province's population? From what I gather the size of a province effects the amount of tax I get from it? Does the size of a province increase over time, if so what factors into this? Or is it just a static vale for each province? I have one province that is fantastically large (taxes for like 13), and I'm curious how it got like that.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:33:14 am by Jelle »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:10 am »

First how does production and trade relate? If I increase my production, I increase my trade value in the trade node with it?
Yes, and also your trade power.
But I also gain money from production alone, regardless of trade power I may or may not have in that node? If I increase my production, I take it it's best I ensure a high trade power in that node to doubly benefit?
If there's not anything stopping you from getting the trade back to your capitol's node, yes. If there is something in the way then you can collect trade from anywhere, but there's a big penalty to trade power while you are doing it.

Secondly, how does supply and demand work? I see they are both percentages, common sense would suggest increasing production would increase supply globally, but what factors into demand? I see that, for instance, the value on sugar has decreased pretty sharply compared to previous centuries, probably because of my and castile's colonization, will the value continue to drop if I ramp up production? Is it worth it at all to invest in my production capacity, or does that depend on global demand?
High stability will increase demand, low stability and revolt risk will reduce it. Other than that it depends a lot on the good, sugar's demand is increased by having customs houses. Producing more of it will lower the price, but I doubt it would get to the point where producing more would lower your income.

Thirdly, how do I counteract a merchant pulling trade value? If I understand correctly the power of the pull depends on the power in the trade node being pulled to, but what determines how much value gets pulled? Is it a factor of the trade power of the node being pulled to to the power of the merchant's nation in that trade node? Can I reduce the amount being pulled away from a node by another merchant by increasing my trade power there?
It's all proportional to how much trade power you have in the node. If a node has 10 coming into it (total from flowing from other nodes and local production), you are trying to pull one way with 9 power and someone else is trying to pull another way with 1 power then the way you are trying to pull will get a base of 9 going that way, and the other will get a base of 1. If it's not been changed since last I played then having a merchant gives a multiplier depending on how many other merchants are pulling the same way, if there was a single merchant pulling each way then you would get 10.8 flowing your way and they would end up with 1.2 going their way. If a country has trade power in a node and it isn't their home node (the one with their capitol in it, if they do then it collects from the node, even without a merchant there) then their power is split between all the merchants that are there who are trying to pull along trade, if there are no merchants then it's split between all the routes out of the node equally.

Lastly is there any benefit at all to increasing trade power in a node where I soly controle provinces? Does it help a merchant who is collecting from trade there, or is there really no point to it.
There's no immediate benefit, but if someone else ends up competing there then it means you immediately have the benefit of the extra trade power, instead of having to wait for it to finish building.

Also on another note, what determines the size of a province's population? From what I gather the size of a province effects the amount of tax I get from it? Does the size of a province increase over time, if so what factors into this? Or is it just a static vale for each province? I have one province that is fantastically large (taxes for like 13), and I'm curious how it got like that.
Population doesn't exist in EU4, only base tax does. Actual size of the province is also irrelevant. Base tax doesn't increase by itself, but there are a few events that increase it, and some countries have decisions that increase it in a province too.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 10, 2013, 05:22:01 am »

1.2 set coring time to scale with nation size. So whether I took 100% extension or 700% extension I would still have to wait 15 years to get my cores.

The main problem is that I have to sit and do literally nothing for 15 years after every expansion phase. Its ridiculous. But more importantly, its boring.

Wrong, coring time was always based on nation size (or at least definitely before 1.2). 1.2 actually decreased the nation size scaling factor by a flat amount and also set it to decrease its importance over time until it eventually reaches 0% influence near the end of the game (1800). If you were playing pre-1.2, you'd likely have 20 years to core instead.

I agree that coring mechanics make it frustrating to do very much, but you shouldn't wrongfully blame a patch that's actually helping you out in that regard. The changes in 1.2 were done in reaction to world conquers being pretty much mechanically impossible unless you exploited the hell out of the game. I still don't think that WCs are possible with the current coring mechanics, but I could be wrong.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 10, 2013, 08:34:24 am »

The questions, they keep coming. And the answers, they keep eluding...

It seems I have a rebellion on my hands. A wave of revolutionary ideas has put the country in turmoil, and the rapidly deteriorating royal line (seriously, the last guy was like 1 0 3, didn't conceive an heir instead found a baby in the reeds, then died leaving an even more incompetent regent council in charge and a 2 year old baby with very weak claim) has spurred onwards revolusionists everywhere.
Their demand seems to be to form a republic, all revolutionary armies are fighting for the same leader to. And you know, a republic actually sounds pretty good. Sadly I can't seem to negotiate with the rebels at all. I don't even know how to form a republic peacefully, all I can do is change to other forms of monarchy.

Is it game over if the revolutionsts succeed and my country breaks, or is there some way I can let this happen and assume controle of the newborn republic? If not, how do I even form a republic?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:33 am »

Is it game over if the revolutionsts succeed and my country breaks, or is there some way I can let this happen and assume controle of the newborn republic? If not, how do I even form a republic?
I don't think you can ever straight up lose due to rebels. Perhaps lose a few provinces, lose some taxes and prestige, get your religion or goverment form changed, but that's about it.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #790 on: October 10, 2013, 08:48:21 am »

'negotiating' works like this.
Go in the panel (click on the banner) with the twin flags (one red and one black)
there should be a 'handle rebels'
There are options like 'accept demands' but those are greyed out until the rebels actually 'conquer' what they want.

So, peasants was less taxes in lombardia, peasants rise, 'conquer' lombardia and yell 'LESS TAXES'.
You agree, the peasant forces disappears and Lombardia now gets the 'reduced taxation' until the Year XXXX
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 10, 2013, 09:08:23 am »

The option to accept demands was greyed out though, they wouldn't rest until the government was overthrown.

I say was because it seems the revolution succeeded, surprisingly peaceful and seamless in fact. Once they captured sufficient territory I was forced to accept the demands, and now I have a new fully functional government. Somehow I thought this would be far messier.

I suppose I could've just waited and seen what would happen, I kind of panicked.  :-[
I also feel sort of bad for the baby in the reed, who knows what they did with it.

As a sidenote, jeez so many free troops. All these rebel forces turned into a standing army, without manpower or gold cost. Better go conquering, for the republic!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:13:12 am by Jelle »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:23 am »

That's because the type of rebels were government revolutionaries that affect the entire country. Other rebels that only focus on one territory or a group of territories need to take much less land (depending on country size).

Is this still your Maya game? I think you're getting pretty darn far for a Mayan player.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2013, 03:11:08 pm »

That's because the type of rebels were government revolutionaries that affect the entire country. Other rebels that only focus on one territory or a group of territories need to take much less land (depending on country size).

Is this still your Maya game? I think you're getting pretty darn far for a Mayan player.

Yeah, I was actually doing pretty well compared to other nations. I ended up with highest overall income globally somehow (probably inflation to, all that inca and aztec gold does that to an economy), and I just kept expanding. Eventually, after figuring out all the economy stuff, I got bored and invited death to the americas. Got into a war with France, Britain, Castile, Portugal and Sweden all at once, just for the heck of it. After seeing they weren't going to put up much of a fight (hard to transport so many troops overseas, and I don't know what Castile was even doing) I figured I was probably in for a boring ride of expansion till 1820.

I think I'm going to give another new world nation a go. I wonder what would happen if the Iroqouis Confederacy remained in power in North America, let's find out. :)
At any rate the provinces are way more valuable then those in Central and South America so far, those were all 1 and 2 tax rate provinces. Now I'm surrounded by 3 4 and 5 potential tax rate provinces, goody. Is this just particularly good land, or is central and south american land just particularly shitty?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 11, 2013, 03:17:12 pm »

Might be balance in return for all of the gold mines. Also, much of those areas are mountains, jungle, impassable terrain, etc. Very difficult to live there. The land in central/eastern US is much more friendly to live on. That might be another factor.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 216