Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449743 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #900 on: November 11, 2013, 02:33:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure SA already has dynamic colonials. They are guaranteed to work in the Viceroyalties or whatever the Spanish set up there.

Given that they kicked it back to January, I think it's safe to say the current images are still heavily work in progress in any case.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 11, 2013, 02:58:10 pm »

I mostly want the population mechanic to simulate the weakening of natives via plagues (So they don't have to START weak in order for the historical steamroll to work out more often than not) and to simulate the idea, or lack there-of, of a nation being intrinsic to it's land. A native nation, at least the nomadic ones, are about it's people, more-so than it's land. At least compared to the European nations that came in, which were a lot more land-centric (though still people-centric).

Plus, it's a game, and I'd like to play a different style if I want to. Playing a nomadic nation that roams the coast and plains would be fun!

I'd also love to play a dark-ages game with this population = provinces you can own/"people in provinces" mechanic.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 11, 2013, 03:02:33 pm »

I mostly want the population mechanic to simulate the weakening of natives via plagues (So they don't have to START weak in order for the historical steamroll to work out more often than not) and to simulate the idea, or lack there-of, of a nation being intrinsic to it's land. A native nation, at least the nomadic ones, are about it's people, more-so than it's land. At least compared to the European nations that came in, which were a lot more land-centric (though still people-centric).

Plus, it's a game, and I'd like to play a different style if I want to. Playing a nomadic nation that roams the coast and plains would be fun!

I'd also love to play a dark-ages game with this population = provinces you can own/"people in provinces" mechanic.
I'm pretty sure that none of the native nations currently with tags were nomadic, though. I'd love for more to represent natives being pushed inland and becoming problematic, though. Ferocity should maybe increase over time in provinces bordering european colonies to represent trade for weapons, for instance.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »

I don't know if that's true, but maybe they don't have tags because when they decided which nations to use, they chose more sedentary natives?

If you're overhauling natives, there's no reason you have to stick with the natives you already have. So I don't see why "The natives in the game weren't nomadic!" is a reason to not put in natives that were nomadic, and a mechanic to simulate that. Case in point: This update is adding more native nations.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 11, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »

Well, I'm playing legitimately for pretty much the first time. I've pretty much always just cheated a lot and done ridiculous stuff like colonize the entirety of North America as Ming.

I've got Portugal under me in a PU as Castile and I'm not sure where to go next, seeing as Granada is allied with Algiers and Morocco.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 11, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »

Build a better fleet than the two African states, and block the strait of Gibraltar. They won't be able to cross over when you're fleet is in the strait, and any sea-crossings they attempt via fleet, you can take out with your stronger fleet. You should be able to check the ledger for fleet strengths.

Declare war on Grenada, take them out while keeping the Africans out via the above method while you occupy and annex Grenada.

After that, you can deal with the two African states, or just wait for them to accept a white peace. They will eventually, or should.

Things to watch out for: Coalitions (AFAIK you won't be able to peace-out and annex Grenada if they're a minor-member of a coalition that is at war with you), and both you and Grenada being minor members in a non-coalition war. You need to either negotiate with the war-leader if you're a minor war member, or you need to be the war-leader on your side to negotiate with minor war-members on the opposing side.

Things to hope for: Algiers and Morroco being minor members in the war and Grenada is the war-leader, or better yet, neither of them answer the call to arms. Either way, you'll be able to annex Grenada and finish the war without a lingering fight with the two African nations.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #906 on: November 11, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

Well, I'm playing legitimately for pretty much the first time. I've pretty much always just cheated a lot and done ridiculous stuff like colonize the entirety of North America as Ming.

I've got Portugal under me in a PU as Castile and I'm not sure where to go next, seeing as Granada is allied with Algiers and Morocco.

You can go straight Colonial Power or you can just wait to tech up a bit and then ignore Algiers and Morocco. Seriously, you shouldn't be that afraid with the Western tech group and advantage.

Of course, I haven't played Castille/Portugal/Granada/etc., so there might be other considerations for taking down Algiers and Morocco.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »

Completely changing the subject for a second there's something people have noticed from the stream that could completely change the makeup of colonial trade. There is now a "Western Europe" trade node where almost all New World trade converges. The most notable thing is that it seems to have no provinces linked to it making all of the trade completely dependent on light ship steering.

I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand you now have to create a strong naval force to maintain your trade which wasn't quite the case before, I had a German empire trading in the new world quite easily with minimal navy. However it might favour the nations that have a big naval force limit like Spain or England who already are quite effective at steering trade. This could make colonial empires a lot less appetising for smaller powers or it could add additional trade tactics like warring just to sink light ship stacks.
Personally I would have liked to see more improved trade interaction such as hiring privateers before this change but it's hard to judge without trying it out. I honestly can't tell if this will be a positive or negative change.

Picture: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=94662&d=1383905353
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:08:06 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 11, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »

They panned away from that very quickly when it was shown on screen. My guess is that it's simply a placeholder in the developmental build. Nothing to get excited about.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

Well, Granada's out of the picture and I'm expanding into Africa so I can make the jump to South America. I was hoping Portugal would be more active in its colonial ventures so that when I integrate them I got a headstart in the Americas, but so far all they've done is grab Cape Verde.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:13 pm »

They panned away from that very quickly when it was shown on screen. My guess is that it's simply a placeholder in the developmental build. Nothing to get excited about.
Thinking about it you're likely completely right. Such a fundamental change to the way colonial trade works would likely have been mentioned in the upcoming features, although I suppose we still haven't gotten all the dev diaries yet.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 12, 2013, 12:46:43 am »

Well, I control the entirety of the Iberian Peninsula now, but I'm really worried about the Big Blue Blob to the north. There aren't very many nations strong enough that an alliance would pretty much completely protect me, and I'm not sure I could take them out on my own. Well, at least I have lots of Caribbean provinces now, so those should be a bitch for them to besiege if they decide to wreck me.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:24 pm »

Might be a bit too late, but if you're Spain or Portugal, you benefit more from the other nation being alive than dead for 2 reasons : colonists and merchants. Basically, the other nation will colonize and steer trade in Sevilla, which you will profit from.
Since it was a PU though, it's better to integrate (you can lose a PU), but I'd suggest releasing Portugal as a vassal, to let them colonizing.
Afaik, Granada can colonize too, so might be interesting.

Against France, you can soon have such a colonial empire that you can recruit mercenaries to make up for the differences between your 2 nations. Ally Austria (though they may grow too much in this case) and some other nations (Russia maybe, Prussia, etc).

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 12, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »

Bah. Life as Ireland is hard. I managed to conquer all of Britain and some of France and Burgundy. And then I headed off to the much less dangerous lands of India to get a larger troop and income base.

Sadly I cannot diplo vassalize any Indian nations and so first I split them into the maximum number of nations and next I'll try and vassalize them militarily.

Is it possible to diploannex a country of another religion? It doesn't really specify on the tool tip.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »

IIRC: yes you can.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 216