Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451682 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #930 on: November 15, 2013, 07:14:40 pm »

And now Britain's being a dick and curbstomping me with their alliance with Muscovy and the fact that they have an absolutely ridiculous navy. I  can't do anything, Muscovy is virtually invincible because of their forcelimits. Half of my troops are in South America with no way to get to the mainland, and Britain's occupied all of Cuba. This sucks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 16, 2013, 05:06:43 am »

A good strategy is to engage their fleet off one of your base, then retreat before loosing ships, repair and do it again a few times. The AI doesn't always pull its ships back, so in the end you can sink their ships over several battles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 17, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »

I decided to play a game as Brandenburg and form Prussia, and it's going fairly well so far. I was just elected Emperor, which is good because there've been a lot of reforms passed. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get elected before we were all made vassals of Austria. Hopefully I'll be able to stay Emperor long enough for everyone to become vassals of me, instead. Here's how it's going:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 28, 2013, 05:33:46 am »

Pray for me my dwarven brothers. I am playing my first ever Ironman game as Denmark. I managed to be married to Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, England, and France. However I fucked up and failed to get my alliance with Hungary before they rivaled Poland. FML. I managed to conquer Osel from the Livonian Order for my mission, then I managed to get the Denmark trade mission and somehow with none of my worthless allies helping take Lubeck from the Hansa and take down Austria and some HRE OPPs. It took ages and ended up costing me more dip points in war exhaustion than I got from the mission. I fucked up again here. I should have truced out some OPPs for their 50 ducats and 3 prestige. I could have just waited for the war goal + war length to lower the peace cost in warscore. I could have gotten 6 prestige and 100 ducats. Might have been able to gift Hungary into allying me with that money. Or at least got some prestige and cash for later efforts.

But in the end after I miraculously tanked Austria with my 4/2 pip king general I got lucky again. My marriage with France has resulted in their next ruler being of my dynasty. So I did some research to be sure and claimed throne. So many people hate me but fuck em, with only a single royal marriage I am likely to inherit France once it finishes crushing England in the Hundred Years War. Sadly they may end up not annexing or vassalizing all the french minors but this PU will be worth tons later. I'll inherit the Burgundian lands, or at least France will, and if I am lucky I can win a war against Burgundy before that to get Antwerpen before Austria inherits it, move my capital there, and have the best trade node in the game with control over its major feeding nodes.

If we all pray, maybe their 26 year old king will die and I shall have a chance at a crazy trade empire with Denmark and the power to fight the HRE. I was considering joining the HRE with the possibility of stealing the imperial crown myself. Does anyone know if that's a good strategy for Denmark?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 29, 2013, 03:12:00 pm »

New dev diary.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?738163-Europa-Universalis-IV-Conquest-of-Paradise-%96-Dev-diary-5-A-new-way-of-playing

Doesn't state too much but does give a small outline of federations and migrations. While I'm still not completely sold on the DLC federations do sound like a good contribution. They're basically regionalised defencive coalitions that only go to war if outside forces attack. Honestly it seems like what coalitions should have been in the first place instead of the current situation where half of europe joins Ottomans' jihad on Italy because it annexed Venice 4 years ago.

Oh and apparently the north american natives have been granted the divine gift of trading. The reason for the original exclusion is rather weak but baby steps...

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 01, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

Having finally got a legit copy via the steam sale Ive been driving myself insane with Ironman.
As expected, Castille was still a joke however my attempts to play Brandenburg have all been great !FUN!
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 02, 2013, 01:14:49 pm »

EUIV's just gone on Daily Deal on steam - 50% off (which makes it £17.49 here, your various currencies may obviously vary!)  :)

So - it's a Paradox game, so I have to ask: worth it at that price, or still glitchy/unbalanced?  I'm aware it's a (relatively) recent release, and though I love Paradox I recall what CKII was like early on!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 02, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

If you really wanted to play it now then yeah it's a good price. However if you don't mind waiting it will probably cost less money and have more content a year from now.

It's a good game. It's not my favourite series out of their grand strategy titles, but if you like the EU formula you'll probably enjoy EU4. I didn't find it to be overly buggy on release, though there were some nations that had more problems (like Japan and Christian rebels), but most of that stuff was fixed. I'm sure there are still bugs here and there, but I've never had major issues and I've put in about 70 hours.  Balance is one of those things that seems to be always tweaked throughout the life of Paradox titles but the game is definitely enjoyable.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 05, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »

Finally bought the game, and I have to say....... **** you AI.

It feels like in order to make the game more difficult, the AI intentionally abuses the system to hurt you. I can take some bad luck, but every single game countries suddenly declare me a rival at 99 relation to stop me from completing a mission, or my monarch suddenly goes insane, and then dies, putting me in a PU with a country that is allied to France (always France...). It feels intentional compared to EU3

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »

If you are playing on hard, then the AI is programmed to hate human scum like you. Otherwise it is only a opportunistic bastard as usual.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 06, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »

Does anyone know if the AI ever repays loans (diplomatic ones)? It seems I've either had a really unlucky streak or it's a player-only option (it's worth noting that I've never seen the AI offer a loan either)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22:34 pm »

Ok, AI is flat out cheating now. Ulster allied with England while at war. That's suppose to cause a -1000 modifier.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:18 pm »

Have you seen a game where the AI doesn't suck and doesn't cheat? Don't worry about it too much.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20:46 am »

Have you seen a game where the AI doesn't suck and doesn't cheat? Don't worry about it too much.

At least I noticed it less in EU3... Worst it got was them not taking attrition when I tricked a stack of 200 onto Venice and sealed them in. But that's at least reasonable as that would of been a huge exploit.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:04 am »

Why? Trapping an enemy army in a place where they starve is a good strategy. I'd just like it if the AI was doing that kind of things.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 216