Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451660 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1455 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:35 am »

I've been thinking, this being a paradox title (more precisely a EU-like) aren't over 90% of the players in the biggest multiplayer games still AIs? :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 18, 2014, 07:01:40 am »

Omg.... all countries controlled by players multiplayer game... What would that be like.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:10 am »

Omg.... all countries controlled by players multiplayer game... What would that be like.

Lots of people would lose reaallly quickly?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 18, 2014, 07:22:36 am »

You think? Would anyone want anyone else to get an advantage over them? I can imagine instant alliances and coalitions forming, and the only way anything is getting done is a literal world war.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:11 am »

Lots of people would lose reaallly quickly?
Well, it's kinda like being eliminated from the first round of the World Championship: it might be short, but you were part of something memorable.
(plus imagine how amazing the decrease in lag will feel)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:38 am »

I haven't played EU4 in a while, and now am two expansions behind. Having some experience with modding, I can tell you guys that if truce times are such a big deal, you can edit common\defines.lua (preferably with Notepad++) and adjust the values to your liking. This is what you're looking for:

Code: [Select]
TRUCE_YEARS = 5, -- _DDEF_TRUCE_YEARS_; Years of Truce
SCALED_TRUCE_YEARS = 10, -- Additional years of truce based on % of warscore taken in war (100% warscore = full scaled truce years)

It'd seem truce lengths are variable, depending on the intensity of the previous war, as indicated on the comments.

As for losing to a smaller force, there's more than troop numbers and general quality at play. There's unit types, composition, tech and terrain. Terrain can not only provide bonuses to the defender, but also reduce the front width (which I don't think is maximized in the beginning even in optimal terrain), diminishing the viability of large armies until your technology is sufficiently advanced.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:30:04 am by Greenbane »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 18, 2014, 09:30:46 am »

Did you attack them in mountains? What mil tech did you both have? Did they have a better army composition? What units were you using? What pips did the generals have? Did you have any military ideas? What year was it? Did you have any maluses in place like "increased serfdom"?
Savoy can take Defensive, Offensive and Quality for the record.

There's a lot that factors into military battles and if you miss something even minor it can completely floor your army.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:36:55 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »

Well, it's more like the issue with EU4's combat system is it's so opaque and you're bound to lose most battles anyway unless you get together doomstacks for warring. Because the only reliable way to actually play the game and win battles is to get the insta-wipe battles and nothing else. If you don't get into an insta-wipe battle you'll always lose a disproportionate amount of forces and/or morale in the first shock phase no matter the rolls, it's actually pretty neat to see. EU4 combat is more whack a mole than ever thanks to the useless [for you] and broken [for AI] shattered retreat, as well. Which is why you always want to instantly wipe, because 'battles' in EU consist of the AI getting ridiculous damage numbers and near-null damage without a 6+ advantage on rolls.

And don't lie to me about discipline/morale/tactics being the most important factors. I've been the one with the most discipline/morale/tactics since launch because EU4s combat system consists of rushing for discipline and morale bonuses, and yet despite this Nubian nationalists in mountains outnumbered 10-1 can still inflict significant casualties despite general bonuses *if* they get to actual combat. It's the fact that you're basically forced into doomstacking everything to combat that makes EU4 combat such a boring, boring slog, honestly.

I'm actually getting significant morale losses lately attacking shattered armies with .01 morale. That's something that's bound to make you delete the game.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:31:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »

They really, honestly should play more single player. Yes, yes, the multiplayer is amazing, it's fantastic, it's some of the best fun you can have in 2014, but still. These things are not rocket surgery. AI that doesn't outright murder suspension of disbelief is always a bonus, Paradox!

*shake fist*
Even if they did, Johan seems determined to balance the game around multiplayer regardless based on his posts. He believes that, if something is balanced in multiplayer, it will also balance out in singleplayer if the AI behaves like a human does if I remember his wording correctly. You can find it somewhere on the same thread Rakonas linked to.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

I wish we had a better intelligence system. It's ridiculous that before declaring war on the UK I can tell their army if made of 35476 Infantrymen, 23124 Cavalrymen, 30495 Artillerymen and a three-legged mule named Bob, but I have no idea if their troops even are in the UK proper or in their colonies...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »

So many things wrong with this game, and so many things are going to get worse because of the patches; and yet I still find my self staying up 3 days straight trying to eating the world as Ryukyu...
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »

Is the game actually balanced in multiplayer anyway?  I have a hard time imagining that being true...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »

God no. Not in any way shape or form. It's always been an accepted fact that to play any Paradox game in MP you have to enforce about a bajillion house rules. Why Johan is putting so much emphasis on MP boggles me, especially since their last MP focused game, March of the Eagles, bombed harder than a poor analogy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:43 pm »

So, is EU4 a total failure?
._.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 18, 2014, 06:30:01 pm »

Rebels suck, AI cheats

Worth noting that for nationalists (and maybe patriots, can't remember), they'll spawn with the same tech level and base morale as your units, though possibly in a different tech group. It means that basically you're going to be fighting armies of around the same quality as your own armies, which seems disproportionately tough when you consider how far ahead players usually are over their neighbors. When you add on top the 10-25% morale bonus some types get (though many get a malus), and the fact that you'll almost always be the one attacking, it's natural that you'll need a larger army to beat them, and that they'll inflict more casualties. Really all that it means is that you shouldn't be lazy and leave conquered provinces alone with revolt risk, you should always be using harsh treatment and an occupying army for high base tax provinces.

If you want to avoid ping ponging, you can either raise the maximum dice roll (making combat more random) or increase the amount of minimum time armies have to stay engaged (at its extreme, one army would always eventually destroy the other to the last man).
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 216