Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451576 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1650 on: November 02, 2014, 10:23:40 am »

:D

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:51 pm »

This new expansion is actually the proverbial tits. I normally don't buy things full price, and don't think I've ever done so on Steam, but damn, I actually think it may have been worth it. There are just so many minor little unfixable things where you needed to play in a gamey and fiddly way to get around, that are now given proper player options.

There was always this fear in the back of my mind that every time I declare war on some random insignificant target their alliances would travel up the chain and somehow always lead to France joining in. Or wanting to bring my allies into the fight, but also having to race them to the provinces I want and just wait for them to occupy the provinces I want them to get. Also or, having to fabricate some CB to be able to force some country into returning cores to a vassal. Also also or, starting wars where you want the same CB to apply to the target and one or more of their allies, rather than eating the dip points.

I also think it may be possible to get around all the vassal feeding restrictions with the change occupation feature, by having the peace cede the provinces to them directly rather than having to sell them. It's seemed to work so far, but I have seen some weirdness where I still end up getting the province when the peace said a vassal would get it, so maybe they anticipated that.

One kind of annoying thing though is that it seems occupying all of the war leader's provinces no longer gives 100% warscore, which is only really a problem when you're annexing a OPM war leader and they have sprawling blob allies. It seems to work fine in circumstances where the target is larger though, since you'll be able to get a higher local warscore.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 02, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »

which is only really a problem when you're annexing a OPM war leader and they have sprawling blob allies

This is about 90% of circumstances. Instead of fixing unbeatable OPMs in coalitions, they've now extended that same ally-warscore finagling BS that ruins the fun of fighting coalitions to every other war. In other words, if someone you want to annex has france as an ally, you may as well just declare war on france and let the allies get dragged in so you can freely annex them after complete occupation. I actually think that this change has made it so I'll literally never play vanilla EU4 again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:21:55 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »

Have coalitions changed from the previous versions much? Or is it still a case of AE=slog as before?

Edit: Darn it Mict you ninja.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 02, 2014, 01:23:05 pm »

I mean it makes sense from a realism perspective, it's not like WWI would've ended if Austria just occupied all of Serbia really quickly. It's just that I think some of the ticking acceptance modifiers need to be tweaked, like the "Giraffslavia would be annexed or vassalized with this peace" one, or if the war length one started lower. Might be moddable, there may be a value to tweak there.

On the AE front, it looks like it's been diminished greatly, just from me doing a quick Ottomans game. Being able to cede provinces to your vassals directly also means that they'll take some of the AE rather than you, which is nice.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 02, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »

I mean it makes sense from a realism perspective, it's not like WWI would've ended if Austria just occupied all of Serbia really quickly.

AH annexed Bosnia AFAIK but that's neither here nor there. In this video game's mechanics, if you declare war on a OPM with a blob ally/allies you're doing it wrong *because* you will not be able to win, you will not be able to annex this single province belonging to a single nation because they have friends with land. [If that's realistic.. then I'm a cartoon.] You're better off directly declaring war on the person your target is allied with, so the war score belongs to that war leader. That way your main target is dragged into the war and you can annex them once you've 100% occupied them, like you should be able to when you decide to declare war on them in the first place. But now this has added another layer of worrying about unbeatable blob warscore in all cases instead of just worrying about fighting the anti-fun coalitions.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:29:16 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 02, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

Huh... For some reason I've encountered a bug where ALL of my saves have had France become Rev. France
I believe there's a screenshot on the official forums about a Revolutionary Revolutionary France. France France Revolution? France Revolution Revolution? This joke needs refinement.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 02, 2014, 01:55:03 pm »

AH annexed Bosnia AFAIK but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah, exactly, Austria-Hungary occupied Serbia but the war didn't end. I think it's actually a pretty good real example of what the game's trying to represent. Granted, if I were to try to represent WWI as an EUIV war, I doubt Serbia would be the war leader, but I guess that's the problem. They just need to make whatever base tax/whatever difference is needed for a new war leader be smaller. But in the mean time, that's a good idea about declaring directly on a larger ally with the OPM as co-belligerent.

I would agree that blob warscores have always been annoying, but the old way of getting 100% warscore quickly was more a way of playing around it than anything, and was definitely less realistic. It was ridiculous how powerful rivals would just give up the war because you occupied and annexed their tiny ally. I don't think realism should be the most important thing in these games, but if you're trying to argue that having to beat a target's allies before they give up the war is unrealistic... I don't know how you could think that. I mean yeah, sieging lots of territory is annoying, but you can just tweak the warscore defines to make wargoals more influential, which I did when I was digging in the defines for relevant values.

I get the feeling from previous discussions with you that there's nothing I could say that would change your mind, though, so I'm not pursuing this further.

Edit:
Found MONTHS_BEFORE_TOTAL_OCCUPATION in the defines, so you do actually get 100% score from occupying the war leader, it just by default only triggers after 5 years. Can just set it to 0 for before the change.

Editedit:
Spoiler: NOOOOO (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:17:55 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 02, 2014, 01:58:19 pm »

I guess some people just enjoy occupying half the world to take one province.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:48 am »

If you occupy the war leaders provinces and the war is over 5 years old you will get 100% warscore. It was added to stoppeople from jumping small countries before their large allies had a say in the matter.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 03, 2014, 02:14:05 am »

I've been playing Yemen and I'm having great fun. Arabian coast is mostly mine. I created Mogadishu as a vassal, turned it into a March and been feeding it the entire Somalian coast, giving me a nice strongman in Africa. I just conquered Mombasa, which I plan to keep and I'll go for Zanzibar next. On the way I've turned into a Merchant Republic. Now I'm pondering how to gain a foothold in India. I'm allied to Persia, Hedjaz and Sind, giving nice protection from Mameluks, although I think being Ibani means I don't get most of the nice Muslim events. Oh well - my ultimate goal is to get the Spice Islands and dominate the whole East Indian trade before Europeans get there. I'm currently taking exploration ideas. No idea whether to choose expansion or maritime/naval next, though. Any military power will kick my ass on land, but I don't think I really have ideas to waste on that.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:32 am »

If you occupy the war leaders provinces and the war is over 5 years old you will get 100% warscore. It was added to stoppeople from jumping small countries before their large allies had a say in the matter.
Alternatively, you can save and reload. Probably an exploit, yeah, but it works.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 03, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »

What does this even mean though? Like if I occupy one province of the war leader's I'll have 100% after 5 years? Or I can't get 100% before 5 years have passed?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 07, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »

Is anyone else having stability issues with the new patch? I've got my game consistently crashing a minute or two after I open a trade node's info screen.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 07, 2014, 04:06:27 pm »

Is anyone else having stability issues with the new patch? I've got my game consistently crashing a minute or two after I open a trade node's info screen.

I've experienced quite a few crashes during load.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 216