Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451593 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1695 on: November 20, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »

~20 galleys is about all I needed to beat the Ottomans as the Byzantines, as they would leave their not-so-impressive galley/transport stack in their capitol so I can pick off the other straggling navies and achieve naval superiority rather easily.

Now, the not so easy part is dealing with a 12k+ Ottoman army that is usually parked in Greece. Sometimes you can luck out and the Ottomans will move their armies into easily stoppable places. They moved 20k soldiers to Corfu my last Byzantine game, and I just stopped them from returning to the mainland with a couple transports, basically pinning down their whole force limit for the entire war. Needless to say I took back 99% warscore of provinces. If they don't do something pants-on-head retarded like that in your attempts, though, your best bet is putting a 12k stack of your own on a mountain province. The Ottomans are usually suicidally aggressive if they have a path to your armies.

It all depends on luck, really. And I don't find it particularly fun because once you've beaten the Ottomans you win everything else as the Byzantines.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:28:43 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »

Can't you transfver from EU IV to Victoria 2 and then to Hearts of Iron 3, for extra hilarity?
._.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 20, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »

Ok first off, your navy force limit is like.....12. The ottomans have over 40 ships. Do you sacrifice advisers or something? Because it sounds like it will get expensive if you go 300% over your force limit.

Secondly, Poland doesn't seem to be bordering water or the ottomans, so how do they help?
They may have 40 ships, but they don't have 40 galleys. Transports and lightships don't have much combat power on the inland seas. Constantinople is quite rich, so you can easily overbuild your naval forcelimits to achieve force superiority. I took a few loans and probably did without a few advisors in the first decade, yes.

Secondly, Poland does border the Ottomans, albeit through their vassal Moldova.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:18:36 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:16 pm »

Is the MP game beginning any time soon? I think I'll be available only after the 29th of this month.
I'm a complete newb(on EU, not on Paradox) though, so I'll probably choose a bad country and get steamrolled early on. And I don't have all the DLCs either(I bought the complete pack some months ago, but I think a new one already came out?)

Also poor excuse to PTW this one. I think I'm beginning a campaign later tonight.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:12 am »

I could theoretically be interested in a multiplayer campaign. However, I am Europe-based and currently swamped in work so options this side of New Years Eve are limited.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:46 am »

Euro here too. I have all the add-ons but the latest.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 21, 2014, 08:07:38 am »

I believe the host determines which DLCs are used, the client players need only have the base game to enjoy all the DLCs that the host has. Conversely, the host, if lacking DLCs, will also make the game lack those DLCs.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 21, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »

That's the way it's always been with Paradox. Almost makes me forgive them for releasing 5+ game-changing DLCs within 2 years of releasing the base game - which most of the time is shit by itself. Almost.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:58:45 pm by FritzPL »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 21, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »

I'm in for MP. East Coast US here.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:38 pm »

That's the way it's always been with Paradox. Almost makes me forgive them for releasing 5+ game-changing DLCs within 2 years of releasing the base game - which most of the time is shit by itself. Almost.
No, only since CK2 came out. Before, if you didn't have all the same expansions as the host, you couldn't play with them unless they downgraded.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »

Well, forgive me, but I don't think there was much for MP in Paradox games before CK2 and EU4 came out. Sure, there was EU3, but reflecting on my past playthroughs of that game, I frequently ask myself: how could I've played such a steaming pile of manure?
(just a personal opinon)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 21, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »

I just ragequitted my first campaign, as Savoy. Began the game by steamrolling Switzerland and Genoa with Milan and Burgundy, Austria threatened me into giving the genoese province back and it all went downhill from there. In the end Milan threw a dumb war against Venice, got absolutely destroyed and all I had to rely upon for my vengenace war against Genoa was petty Tuscany. Sucks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 21, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »

It's kinda weird you didn't have problems with France.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 21, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »

It's kinda weird you didn't have problems with France.
Yeah, it felt strange they didn't bug me at all, or my ally Burgundy, for that matter. The worst they did was snatching Provence away from me when I still had then under a truce.
Burgundy is pure awesome and has balls of steel. At one moment they were enemies of both France, England and Austria at the same time. Not to mention repealling a Castillan invasion all by themselves.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:54:44 pm by Uristides »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 21, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »

Did you turn lucky nations off? I had MP game where we did that - my friend played Brandenburg and I played France. While the Hansa wasn't such a bully to him, he still had a hard time - and considering I was playing France and I was unable to take any of the Burgundian provinces, so did I.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 216