Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449753 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1710 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »

I've finally managed to form the Kingdom of Ireland without cheating! England was being torn apart by Catholic zealots right after they converted to Protestant, so I started supporting the rebels (with the subsidy money France and Portugal give me) and I teamed up with Scotland to kick them while they were down. I got Meath and Leinster (who'd been diploannexed,) and Scotland got Arryshire and the Highlands back. I also freed Northumberland, Wales, Cornwall, and their Breton vassals. All of the Celtic nations have ridiculously high opinions of each other because of the war, and alliances are starting to form. Truly an unqualified success.

Now what should I do? The English hate my guts, but they can't really do anything about it anymore and I don't have any interest in the now mostly Protestant provinces they have left. Maybe I'll start working over the new African nations, or intervene in Northern Europe where the Hansa has somehow managed to roflstomp Denmark and are enjoying even more improbable success against Sweden and Norway at the same time, with a warscore of +46.They have no allies.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 21, 2014, 03:26:30 pm »

Anyways, Brit here... looks like we may have to play an EU game and an American game.

Yeah... No offense to those on the other side of the Atlantic, but I think Europeans are in majority here. We should still try to do one unified game, though. Just find more or less perfect time for everyone.

@Baffler
Please, screenshot it all and send us a link.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 21, 2014, 03:27:46 pm »

Did you turn lucky nations off? I had MP game where we did that - my friend played Brandenburg and I played France. While the Hansa wasn't such a bully to him, he still had a hard time - and considering I was playing France and I was unable to take any of the Burgundian provinces, so did I.
Oh, I had set it to random. No idea who gained the bonus or how to check it though.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 21, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »

Random is still weighted towards the usual extreme blobs, unfortunately.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »

Random is still weighted towards the usual extreme blobs, unfortunately.
Oh, I thought it would give more balanced, or at least interesting, results. But by "usual extreme blobs" you mean just the ones we know and love or bizarre stuff like extreme blob Albania and Ryukyu? The latter at least could be quite amusing for a while.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 21, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »

I believe 'Random' lucky is weighted towards the ones who already are on the 'Lucky' list. And if not, they'll be conquered anyway and the lucky bonus transferred to France/Spain/GB/Muscovy as the AI can't play the game at all if they're a OPM in a moderately hostile area. All in all LN is a terrible mechanic, since it gives an arbitrary bonus to a huge [10+] amount of already incredibly OP nations, mechanically it is inferring the other nations of the earth were 'unlucky' for the literal entire period of EU4. Pretty historical stuff there. Turning it off completely actually gives the game a chance to be dynamic and not completely predictable after the first 20 years.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:47:42 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 21, 2014, 03:52:04 pm »

I believe 'Random' lucky is weighted towards the ones who already are on the 'Lucky' list. And if not, they'll be conquered anyway and the lucky bonus transferred to France/Spain/GB/Muscovy as the AI can't play the game at all if they're a OPM in a moderately hostile area. All in all LN is a terrible mechanic, since it gives an arbitrary bonus to a huge [10+] amount of already incredibly OP nations, mechanically it is inferring the other nations of the earth were 'unlucky' for the literal entire period of EU4. Pretty historical stuff there. Turning it off completely actually gives the game a chance to be dynamic and not completely predictable after the first 20 years.
I see, thanks for the breakdown. Will turn it off for my next campaign.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 21, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »

If we are going to organize a MP game we should make a separate thread on the "Play with your Buddies" forum instead of using this thread.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »

A good idea, but 1: Nobody has defined a host or volunteered for it, and 2: This thread had been quite quiet without the multiplayer talk, so it's not that big of an issue.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 22, 2014, 07:58:02 am »

Assuming my new apartment has the same capability (it should), I can host. I think. Technically anyway. This is not a promise! I'm EET, or UTC+2, or GMT +2 (I believe).
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:59 am »

Ugh, Art of War ruined it kind-of for me, I love the new features but it turned the game into a grinding hault even with 1024-8xx resulotion and everything else turned off. I went from being able to play a speed 3 to barely even speed 1. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I've got compressed autosaves off also.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 22, 2014, 10:16:36 am »

Graphics settings shouldn't affect simulation speed.

Do you have a very old processor or something?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 22, 2014, 10:27:37 am »

Ugh, Art of War ruined it kind-of for me, I love the new features but it turned the game into a grinding hault even with 1024-8xx resulotion and everything else turned off. I went from being able to play a speed 3 to barely even speed 1. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I've got compressed autosaves off also.
Afaik, the only thing to do right now is to wait. Some people have trouble with the new patch (do you have AoW ?), and last time I looked, they didn't knew how to fix it yet.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 22, 2014, 11:31:15 am »

In terms of game host, it's gotta be
a) a person with a majority, if not all of the DLCs
b) preferably in GMT+0

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 22, 2014, 04:56:02 pm »

Managed to find a good save of my early campaign, right when we were fighting Switzerland, Genoa and Provence. Near the end of the war the king of Burgundy died and everything got turned over to Austria. Still took Laguria(Provence is damn expensive) and gave them the finger when they asked it back.
Everything was fine for some 10 years and I got Korsika as a vassal and monies and stuff until Tuscany started antagonizing me. Even worse they had an union with Milan, which was my strongest ally in Italy. I joined a coalition against them but lol Ferrara and Mantua.
Then the war started and all went downhill. The T-M coalition soon formed a 20-strong deathstack that none of us could quite breach. It just roamed the map picking us out individually. I blame some of that on how poorly the game controls, some of my troops did some mad loops around instead of simply backing when I told them to.
And it's ragequit time again. Hopefully I have a decent save I can load later so I can wipe the floor with their faces.

And god, that's an awfully slow game. Pre-Clausewitz Paradox games at least took some half of the campaign to get to the point where  I'm falling asleep even at max speed when nothing happens.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:04:17 pm by Uristides »
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 216