Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451613 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1980 on: June 11, 2015, 04:21:35 pm »

The first thing I did was play Mzab as well, funnily enough. Since you get a base income for being independent, it's much easier to actually pay some troops in the beginning (old Mzab could only afford like half their pitiful force limit most of the time). There's something really hilarious about being able to form an empire-level sheikdom as well, which I was able to do after getting Iberia and most of Africa.

I want to do it again, but stay Abadi this time instead of wimping out and converting to Sunni right off the bat like a casual.

The best thing about this patch for me is that it seems much easier for AI underdogs to suddenly swing into powerful positions. Whereas before I was always happy to see a wild Ryazan or something appear, now it's almost common for OPMs and the like to be able to take and actually hold large amounts of land from wars with larger powers.

After playing a bit with Common Sense, I'd also say that I don't think buying the DLC is necessary to enjoy the game fully. Development isn't worth the MP, the vassal interactions are neat but not particularly vital, government ranks are just small bonuses to reward nations that have already blobbed past the need for them, and the rest are all mechanics specific to certain regions/governments/religions. If you buy it for anything, I'd buy it for the Protestant and theocracy mechanics, but I wouldn't say that's good value for money. Still, that's just my personal preference; any of the other things I mentioned may tickle your fancy if you're interested in a different way of playing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:23:15 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 13, 2015, 12:39:02 am »

So, this is random. My first game, since I just bought EU4 (it was on sale), all DLC.

Playing ironman mode...cause no console or save scumming for me!

Started as Byzantines. Managed to avoid Ottoman war, probably with my alliance to poland+lithuania they wanted to avoid making my allies angry. Plus, I got lucky and they were busy declaring war on small nations that were around them and too busy to notice me.

Get up to where I can colonize the new world. Just slowly building up, making sure everyone doesn't want my head.

Arrive in south america, successfully colonize two areas. And...ottoman+golden horde both declare war on me :( And for some reason poland and lithuania didn't join in, but probably cause they had a lot of civil wars. Or they couldn't go through hungary to reach me (hungary still exists, barely declared war on). So instead of losing my capital and losing the game...I break alliance with athens. Give my two states that are by athens and give them, one to venice and other to athens. Then I move my capital to south america. Give my former capital to venice (cause heck if I let ottomans get it). Get peace with golden horde (but ottomans wanted no peace, but eventually because I was so far away I guess, they accepted about a year in-game after I arrived in south america). And...get the hell out of there.

And it is so random. my Byzantines are now south american migrants lol. I get my leader (I had him as a general) and my ships to south america. Then I conquer a bunch of territory, from north tip of south america (furthest north I went so far is panama canal) to down south to where incas are. Had a huge war, but my military is more advanced so I ended up winning. Then all south america hated me cause I expanded too fast. So I got declared war on by ALL of south america. Have war for 3 game years, defeat inca and take all his land and get peace.

So now I've just been sitting back, colonizing and slowly building. Waiting for reputation with the other south americans natives to go up from too fast expansion (that was -200 reputation). Its almost back down to 0 with most of them though. I did get one ally and a protectorate though. But if I get at least some south american allies, and choose a central america+north american ally(ies)...I can control all of north and south america as byzantines. :D
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 13, 2015, 12:59:31 am »

Got bored of my M'zab game. Expanded hard and fast into egypt and couldn't really find an interesting end-game goal aside from uniting Islam as Ibadi and uniting the mediterranean, neither I could be bothered with.

I'm not completely sold on the new development system. It seems like it rewards rushing towards easy to develop provinces with decent trade goods, trying to develop anything below costal (that doesn't have gold) seems like a waste of MP. This is what CK2 seemed to encourage and I ended up getting bored of that because almost every game would involve me migrating to Italy. Maybe I just need to learn more of the system's finesse.

Decided on my next Ironman game. Ultra-defensive Kurdish state. No provinces that aren't Mountain, Highlands or Hills allowed. Maximum fort defensiveness and attrition with as many forts as I can afford. I want their armies to melt before they even reach my own.

EDIT: mapmodebuttons still not updated. Arrrghhhhh.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:06:43 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 14, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »

When MEIOU gets updated (I dunno how much it changes religion, but religion in vanilla EUIV is a HUGE fail. Can't convert anyone, even your vassals...pretty stupid lol).

Out of three possible factions (I'll have three games going)

Should I be hawaii (its listed as one of the nations, so I assume its playable)...probably be a super slow game, but hawaii is so random rofl. When hawaii was introduced in CIV 5 me and my friend laughed so much. Just the most random nation you could be.

One of the HRE nations (never done anything in HRE, usually not a big fan of europe stuff...but supposedly unique gameplay mechanics and a lot of diplomacy)

Chorokee, Inca or Iroquois (I always play natives if given the chance. So wouldn't be most unique for me...but playing natives is usually a ton of fun

One of the chinese nations (probably choose Ming)...never done anything with asia at all in any game, so be a new experience

One of the japan nations

Byzantines (cause romans are epic and re-create roman empire...but this is a super popular choice, so pretty typical.)

Ottomans (they start huge, so probably be really easy...I tend to prefer much smaller nations. But I do like Ottoman history)

Cilicia (amazing history, and I'd probably ally ottomans so I don't get pwned :P)

One of the african nations (I'd probably choose an eastern africa one, or a south africa nation. I wouldn't want to choose a northern one, or its too similar to how I usually play...interacting with same nations of europe :P)

What would your three choices be out of those?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 14, 2015, 07:09:35 pm »

I wish, as a native american nation, you could expand outside lands occupied already by other major tribes.  But you need colonization like the non-natives do.

All that empty land just bothers me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:51 am »

Just got my hat raped off as Brandenburg. Developed my territories, allied with Saxony, allied with WhoCaresOPM near Bremen, got dragged into a defensive war, won, got declared on by the Swiss, Austria, Bohemia, and Bavaria.

I didn't survive the Bohemian Conquest of Berlin. :(

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:47 am »

Git gud.

On differing matters my new Kurdish ironman game is going good. Got independence and annexed most of the Timurids. Converted to glorious Shi'a, Persian is accepted (of course). Forts are doing a surprisingly decent job of melting enemy armies before I engaged them with superior morale. Unfortunately the game is on hiatus until I get my new computer (which should be by the end of the week). Common Sense runs like shit and I cannot abide by it.

I miss theocracies.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:46:53 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:17 pm »

Just got my hat raped off as Brandenburg. Developed my territories, allied with Saxony, allied with WhoCaresOPM near Bremen, got dragged into a defensive war, won, got declared on by the Swiss, Austria, Bohemia, and Bavaria.

I also played an HRE game recently (for the first time since EU3 I think) as Nassau, and there are a few things that are fairly critical (aside from gitting gud). You should always either be the emperor or allied to the emperor, for instance. The emperor won't do diddly for you when fighting in the HRE (though will be more than happy to call you into whatever horrible war they've gotten themselves into), but will keep you from getting that disgusting "unlawful territory" opinion/province modifier malus from taking land in the HRE.

I would also get someone else who's big as a defensive ally to dissuade people from DoWing you, and from there go over your diplomatic relations cap allying as many electors as you can. Once you're emperor, staying emperor isn't difficult, and so long as France isn't feeling perky early on you can blob with impunity and massive bonuses. Revoking the privilegia is also one of the easiest ways of getting a WC if you're of loose morals and low self-esteem, but I personally preferred dismantling it from within and painting Europe that lovely shade of Nassau lilac.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 20, 2015, 10:47:27 pm »

So, in MEIOU

I started as Cilicia, an Armenian empire. Armenia history is among my favorites. However, I ended up allying Byzantines and helping them out a bunch in their war against Ottomans and some other enemies. So, now in the game they are pretty big because of me.

After that was over, I went and captured Jerusalem from the egypt guys over there. Got peace, and then freed the jerusalem jewish guys.

I then saved my game so I can go back as Cilicia (if I choose, since I do really like playing as Cilicia)...and within the same game I switched over to jerusalem. Saved it as a separate save (pretty awesome EU lets you switch nations, I think CK does that too).

So now I got two games going in one (isreal and cilicia) both from the same game :D

Anyway, onto the ending. So, I did end up cheating on this one. But not for money or anything (I almost never cheat, unless a game bugs out or the mechanics are really weird like this one)...but I did a lot of reading and couldn't figure out at all how to get the Jewish religion. From what I read, supposedly you can "only" if you port over a CK2 jewish game. I won't have any of that. So I did an event in the console that spawned jewish rebels, let them capture jerusalem and then met their demands and switched from catholic to jewish. Kinda a minor cheat, nothing that big. And I wanted a jewish jerusalem, not a weird catholic one that I didn't want as jerusalem.

Allied byzantines again (see a thing I have for byzantines? :P)

And then went to war with the egypt guys, took two provinces with help of byzantines (you only need three to form israel) and...well...formed israel.

And btw, israel in MEIOU looks beautiful on the map. A very pretty icy blue color. Looks amazing. :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:41:08 am by Vendayn »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 26, 2015, 05:40:57 pm »

If you play MEIOU, I added The Templar Order to Jerusalem and the surrounding provinces. Its a small four province nation. Very challenging as Mamluks have a huge army.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/submod-the-templar-order-for-meiou-1-19.866203/

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 27, 2015, 09:21:15 am »

Brunswick 1444 start. Now 1460. Stole a province from Cologne, another from East Frisia that somehow conquered Münster with Pomeriania's help and I have Lüneburg and Verde as my vassals(so that I can later annex them and form Hannover), Brandenburg, Madgeburg, Cleves and Hansa as my allies. My rivals are Cologne, Hesse and Anhalt, enemies being the same plus Denmark. The rival-ally networks around me prevent me from expanding easily right now but at least my own allies are also in check and cant eat each other unless they end up on opposite sides through Polish-Bohemian war or something. I can still snatch a province from Cologne although I cant do it without getting Illegal Territory thing... So I guess I need to wait, annex subjects and finish off East Frisia.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:07 pm »

I play through steam but the game won't upon after the Common Sense patch. Happen to anyone else?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 27, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »

I play through steam but the game won't upon after the Common Sense patch. Happen to anyone else?
You play on a Mac or PC?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:40 am »

You play on a Mac or PC?
PC
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 28, 2015, 01:53:50 am »

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-wont-open-anymore.862000/

should work :)

Might have to delete your saves too. One of my saves got corrupted or something, and game kept crashing every time it opened. Deleted saves, and game started up. But the thing in that thread should work for you.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 216