Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449730 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2325 on: December 04, 2015, 05:58:42 pm »

I beat the Poland-Lithuanian Union straight up in 1470 as Muscovy. Pretty happy about that :D

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »

In my game Poland decided not to form a personal union and went Feudal Monarchy instead.  They changed the PLC mechanics a little in 1.14

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2327 on: December 04, 2015, 08:08:11 pm »

Oh, thank goodness. The Commonwealth was really quite silly in 1.13.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »

Well from some of the reports I see about 1.14 it's Austria that gets silly now.  PLC can still form, there's just a chance that the AI won't go for the personal union.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: December 04, 2015, 09:34:47 pm »

Would someone be so kind as to report a bug I found on their forums? Their password recovery doesn't seem to be working, and their site's NOT remembered my details like I asked it to.
(In case you don't visit their forums often.) I had this same problem a while ago. Turns out they changed their forum software earlier this year and invalidated the old accounts. I had to register a new account, but was given the option to migrate my old account as part of that process. So if you haven't logged into the Paradox forums since (I want to say) March, you should try that.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:01 am »

So I was chilling in my OPM Saxony(yes, I know) campaign, helping my buddy Lünenburg crush Pomerania when a declaration from Bohemia came in. The Lünenburg rascals -- who, by the way, control a large part of Lower Saxony, Denmark and a foothold in Norway, guess with the help of who? -- decided not to honor their alliance. Fine, I still have Austria(which was not in great shape, but eh) and a few minors as my allies, and my trusty thuringian vassal, this is gonna be very hard, but by no means impossible. Right? Right? That's when I looked at the war screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And yes, I started cheating, if only in order not to just ragequit.
Still, it helped me realize just how unviable my fantasy of making a regional OPM FC power through development was stupid.

And this isn't by far the oddest alliance the Ottos have done in 1.14. Some people in the forums have been reporting them allying Austria and the Pope :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: December 05, 2015, 09:49:07 am »

Having development tied to wealth rather than MP would be a big improvement IMO.
While from a historical point of view, wealth would be the most logic, I can understand why it is tied to MP. If it was tied to wealth, a player/AI nation could sink tons of cash into development without slowing down their tech. This way, you have to choose between a better province, or keeping up with the rest of the world.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:52 am »

It's behind you having to have the game registered on the forums, same with the mod boards. It's their take on DRM.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: December 05, 2015, 11:06:33 am »

Having development tied to wealth rather than MP would be a big improvement IMO.
While from a historical point of view, wealth would be the most logic, I can understand why it is tied to MP. If it was tied to wealth, a player/AI nation could sink tons of cash into development without slowing down their tech. This way, you have to choose between a better province, or keeping up with the rest of the world.
Which... makes sense from an abstracted game-balance standpoint but not from an accuracy-oriented one. Development tended to go hand in hand with technological advancement in most cases, especially later in history thanks to how closely urbanization was intertwined with industrialization. Sort of silly to think that (essentially) building up population, infrastructure, &c. would somehow slow the march of progress.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: December 05, 2015, 11:35:16 am »

Western countries can develop more simply because they spend less MP on tech anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2335 on: December 05, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »

So people with pirated games can't report bugs that might be caused by the crack or other modifications done to make it work.
Or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: December 05, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »

Been doing the extended timeline mod but whenever I play as a barbarian in the "Barbarian Invasion" bookmark, I don't get an event to declare war on Rome(because I know that it's an event making all the barbarians declare war without a CB) and I don't know how to seize land from them.  Do I need the cossacks DLC to seize their land?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: December 05, 2015, 05:13:35 pm »

Which... makes sense from an abstracted game-balance standpoint but not from an accuracy-oriented one. Development tended to go hand in hand with technological advancement in most cases, especially later in history thanks to how closely urbanization was intertwined with industrialization. Sort of silly to think that (essentially) building up population, infrastructure, &c. would somehow slow the march of progress.
It doesn't even make sense from a gameplay stance since it rewards countries that do nothing and luck out on a god-king. There's absolutely no player agency when it comes to development, no tactical thought or strategy needed, just mash the button every few months on speed 5. Playing "tall" is a joke and development has basically become an AI only feature unless you're truly drowning in MP (which means you're a disgusting eurobabby).

The one thing in the game that might make ducats a semi-competitive currency compared to MP just serves to make MP an even rarer and more important resource. Top quality game design there.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: December 05, 2015, 05:33:34 pm »

My initial issue with development being linked to ducats was that it's an infinite feedback loop, with nations that are ludicrously rich getting more insanely rich as time goes (though it's not the money, but the core costs and overextension that bothers me). But looking at it now, with fort costs and AI mercenary spending in particular, most large AIs end up in huge amounts of debt after even the lightest scuffle, so provided some competent financial AI (quite a stretch) and higher costs for large nations (the opposite of what paradox seems to think), having it cost ducats instead sounds better in every conceivable way.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2339 on: December 05, 2015, 05:46:44 pm »

Coring costs, overextension, and wealth feedback can all be balanced separately. My complaint is that the current development system leads to OPMs becoming sprawling metropolises, while larger countries might have a small town here and there.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 216