Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451575 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2355 on: December 08, 2015, 04:56:14 pm »

I'm finding the new "game restarts when you try to return to the menu" feature to be incredibly annoying. I know sometimes the game broke if you went back to the menu, but it seemed to happen pretty rarely. Now I'm forced to go through a five minute loading screen several times per day.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2356 on: December 08, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »

I'm finding the new "game restarts when you try to return to the menu" feature to be incredibly annoying.
Don't we all?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 08, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

It's really a pain when you're trying to get an interesting random new world because you have to restart every time you want to generate a new one.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: December 08, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »

Might be able to use the console to reveal it ("ti" to toggle terra incognita on and off). I've never used the random new world though, so I'm not sure exactly how or when it's generated.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 08, 2015, 09:28:37 pm »

It's generated on the nation select screen, and there's an option in settings to either hide it or not.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 09, 2015, 10:26:47 pm »

If you want a little bit later start, but has room for a TON of possibilities

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/3uvyon/awesome_bookmark/

November 24th 1457

I'm trying it as Navarra and its a ton of fun! A huge challenge too, because Navarra king starts so old and no heir. But navarra is my favorite nation to play as. They are just a ton of fun, but like I said, a big challenge, and not an annoying one either. Like playing as byzantium is a huge challenge, but unlike navarra, its annoying as hell lol.

Actually more dynamic than the default 1444.1.1 bookmark. A lot more randomness happens, but there is also much bigger wars. In one game, Ottomans actually collapsed somehow, in another France occupied south of the english island. In another there was a HUGE war with most of europe attacking both ottomans and muscovy and poland/lithuania declared war on austria which opened up another big war, and random nations joined in on the fun. That hasn't happened again thus far, but that was such a huge war lol.

I recommend trying it out. :) Very interesting date. And not that much later than vanilla.

Also, if you do the 23rd austria is occupied by another nation (Styria) if you prefer that. and hungary is in a personal union with austria. But I prefer the 24th.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:28:28 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: December 09, 2015, 10:48:20 pm »

I wouldn't really recommend trying to have a serious game with anything other than the starting date. Paradox barely supports the other bookmarks and they will be filled with all kinds of quirks and bugs (bizarre personal unions are the most common).

However 1444 completely sucks for balance: railroaded Burgundian succession, PLC, 100 years war mess and the Euros not having a foothold in the Americas (making them dick around in Africa, forcing natives sit on their dicks for centuries). Sadly we're stuck with it thanks to the filthy disgusting sub-human scum that are the byzantiphiles.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: December 09, 2015, 11:06:32 pm »

I wouldn't really recommend trying to have a serious game with anything other than the starting date. Paradox barely supports the other bookmarks and they will be filled with all kinds of quirks and bugs (bizarre personal unions are the most common).

However 1444 completely sucks for balance: railroaded Burgundian succession, PLC, 100 years war mess and the Euros not having a foothold in the Americas (making them dick around in Africa, forcing natives sit on their dicks for centuries). Sadly we're stuck with it thanks to the filthy disgusting sub-human scum that are the byzantiphiles.

I dunno. The bookmark I found suggested on reddit, seems vastly better than the default one. Cause like you said, 1444 is pretty unbalanced. And to make it worse, 1444 roughly the same thing happens each game...poland almost always gets a personal union and forms common wealth...ottomans always get big and overpowered...hordes do same thing each time. 1444 no randomness or huge wars at all (until way later). I mean, when I first played it was okay cause I didn't really know anything, but the 1457 bookmark is way more dynamic and huge wars happen. Anything can happen, and way better to me than the 1444 bookmark.

Then again, I do play with extended timelines+a submod for it that adds over 500 provinces. So that might change things around and make it better. Still, even with extended timelines, 1444 is way too samey.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: December 13, 2015, 02:09:11 am »

I personally wish we had some better support for either earlier or later start dates. I loved playing in 1399/1356 in EU3. The Ottomans aren't completely assured to crush everyone, the Golden Horde is the scariest thing ever (but will basically always implode), France starts in a more precarious, shattered position and has much more to do, etc. There's just a lot more dynamics and you end up with some truly interesting, history-defying scenarios.

Meanwhile, with Eu4's mechanics and start dates, all the major stuff basically always happens the same way. The Ottomans always expand in the same way and are always successful - they eat minors, byzantium, more minors, and then slowly snake their way through the mamlukes. England always loses their early war with France, eats everyone else on the isles, and then sits there doing nothing for the rest of the game. France wins that war, but has ended up nerfed down enough that it basically only sits there in fear of the Emperor until the end of time, sometimes having small skirmishes with Castille. Bohemia does virtually nothing, ever. Their main purpose seems to be trying to snipe the crown from Austria, which, if it happens, makes Austria (and the rest of the HRE, really) do nothing, too. I think the way they set up the major powers in this game needs some looking over, as the fact they are either set up for near 100% success (like the Ottos and Muscovy) or 100% stagnation (like Bohemia and England) makes everything else in Europe turn out the same, too.

The game has certainly come a long way since EU3 when we talk about how interesting it is to play outside of Europe and Anatolia, but inside it's stale.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:14:10 am by Rex_Nex »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2364 on: December 13, 2015, 02:20:25 am »

England actually won the Hundred Years in my last game. Burgundy was inherited almost immediately, and then Austria, England, and Aragon proceeded to partition France a la Poland.
Though that game was pretty weird all around. Castile got eaten by Portugal and Granada, of all things.
I was playing Scotland and a big England is bad for Scottish health. Ended up squatting in Iceland while GB proceeded to snap up all the good colonial spots before I quit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:22:46 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: December 18, 2015, 11:54:48 am »

Do you have screenshots of the game?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »

Do you have screenshots of the game?
No, there was something of a ragequit at that point.
Gotcha. Is there anything documenting AI troops and transports? Because that sounds like a stupid cheat if it is one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:00:21 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 18, 2015, 01:01:17 pm »

I've never seen enemy nations transport troops instantly. However, rebels can do that to solve the problem of lacking ships. You can sometimes see a rebel army with an arrow beneath it in a coastal province stating it is moving to province X. This portrays transport with fishing boats and whatever. If you blockade the port they are using the movement is stopped.

If you are playing some mod, perhaps the AI is using that option normally reserved only for rebels. In that case, you should blame the mod and not P'dox.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 18, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »

I was playing a fantasy RNW nation, and what I think was the crimson empire DoWed me (I say I think because the names were randomised when I reloaded. I was the Chinese nation and somehow my name because Omo)
It might've been a bug. The AI cheats in some ways (native uprisings in AI colonies are super rare, for example), but I've never seen any troops teleport, ever. The bolded part above might indicate that something is wrong with that save.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 18, 2015, 06:07:22 pm »

My guess is they crossed uncolonized provinces to get there (it can be surprising when the AI does that). I can 100% guarantee that they didn't cheat, and if you have the autosaves, you can see exactly what they did (if they do it again).

Also, if you're ever in a situation where you get DoW'd and want to ragequit, keep in mind that it's very easy to get out of completely hopeless wars only losing one or two provinces and some money, which isn't the end of the world. Even with a stack like that on your capital, one loan worth of mercs and the rest of your forces will probably get them off, and if you let the war last as long as you can, the length of war modifier will go down and you can get a favorable deal or white peace (even in situations where the AI really should be asking for more). Chances are you'll keep your cores on whatever you cede, and can prepare for the next war rather than being caught off guard.

One trick is to also release nations with provinces of your primary culture, since you'll keep your cores and can probably easily snipe them again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:09:22 pm by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 216