Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451648 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2400 on: December 26, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »

Yep..sort of. Anyway I've found it in the workshop. It's called Theatrum Orbis Terrarum.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 26, 2015, 03:39:09 pm »

Unfortunately, I've lost my best savegame. In short, I was playing as the Rome and expanded over all of Europe. In the end it came to a stalemate end-game when there were 4 blobs in the Old World; Me, Abbasid, some russian-type (Muscovy perhaps) and a China-type. There were a few small states left, but definitely less than 30.

I would get into wars with Abbasid but due to territory value at that point, and simply due to the size of our empires, the 10 to 40-year wars were simply not worth it; ergo, it became a stalemate. This was a couple of years ago.

My more impressive game was in the Extended Timeline mod, a few months ago. I played as a small nation of Frisia on the border of the Roman Empire. I dumped masses of monarch points into my territories and built stable allies (or destroyed, slowly and non-agressively, my rivals).

Eventually I launched a suicide war against the Roman Empire (who had got into a war with the Parthia a few months prior). I spread as quickly as I could, breaking down their War Exhaustion, and eventually caused riots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eventually, their armies had arrived from the Eastern Front. Shits were shat.

But then suddenly

I forced the Romans to submit:

Then over the next few hundred years, built and split my nation because I enjoy the roleplay side of it.

And grew more.

And after a thousand years of gameplay, and reunition...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:42:50 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

I have a few questions about the roman empire in the extended timeline mod.

1.Is it possible to stop the spread of Christianity or is it just plain impossible to beat?

2.Will Dacia get the same bonuses as the other tribes in 395 and inevitably declare war one me?

3.What year does the barbarian bonuses wear off?   

Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: December 26, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »

Yep..sort of. Anyway I've found it in the workshop. It's called Theatrum Orbis Terrarum.
If you do decide to use it, make sure to grab the addon for increased color opaqueness, otherwise everything will be worn-parchment brown when you're zoomed in to a playable level.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2404 on: December 26, 2015, 11:30:58 pm »

1.Is it possible to stop the spread of Christianity or is it just plain impossible to beat?
I saw my Rome defeat it up until it got rekt by the Germanic invasion. The Greeks and Germanics also subsequently kept Christianity quite small until one of the major Germanic tribes converted and started pressuring everyone else. I'm sure it can be done, use that festival to Saturn and favour the deity which gives bonus to missionary, focus on eradicating rival pagans first and then pick on the Christians who have lost their zeal whilst making sure to spread Roman culture as much as possible/keeping stability high and avoiding losing wars or fighting costly wars as much as possible.

2.Will Dacia get the same bonuses as the other tribes in 395 and inevitably declare war one me?
Probably, would advise vassalizing it

3.What year does the barbarian bonuses wear off?   
3560 days, so just under 10 years from when the barbarian tribe first fires the migration event, there's not really an exact date when it ends

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: December 27, 2015, 04:12:11 am »

Francia's completely swallowed the British Isles and a bit more of the German states, but Andalusia, the Abbasids, and Sijilmasa have put together a solid alliance that slightly outnumbers the French in just about every area, and are working with the Byzantines to strangle French merchants. Meanwhile, just about the whole of Asia is either Tibet or a churning mass of rebellion, war, and changing national colors. I was content picking away at Mongolia until Xia abruptly popped into existence and colored much of China a disgusting shade of yellow.

I edited Extended Timeline so that the Exploration idea unlocked at Admin 30 (instead of Admin 49, which is where it normally pegs all of the vanilla ideas). Yeah, so that I could start popping colonies all over Oceania, but also for the sake of the New World: The Crimson Empire has a near-Asia continent all to itself and I want a fight, Zhengheian is on the first continent the French will reach, and there's a third major continent with about thirty minor native states who'll hit 30 Admin in the next few decades.

3. Run Resize Enable

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: December 27, 2015, 11:33:00 am »

If you do decide to use it, make sure to grab the addon for increased color opaqueness, otherwise everything will be worn-parchment brown when you're zoomed in to a playable level.

Thanks for the advice.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: December 27, 2015, 02:19:23 pm »

EU4 or CK2? Which game you think is it better to invest (scarse) free time into? I have played EU3 for a reatively long time (my greatest achievement was establishing the Hindustan state over the whole India) and now I'm sampling the 4th incarnation, but I want to experience something new in Paradox games. I have started getting into CK2 today as well, and I'm afraid it's going to take quite some time to comprehense merely the basics (everything seems soo different from the EU series). (sorry for offtopic)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:05:18 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 27, 2015, 02:38:15 pm »

EU4 or CK2? Which game you think is it better to invest (scarse) free time into? I have played EU3 for a reatively long time (my greatest achievement was establishing the Indostan state over the whole India) and now I'm sampling the 4th incarnation, but I want to experience something new in Paradox games. I have started getting into CK2 today as well, and I'm afraid it's going to take quite some time to comprehense merely the basics (everything seems soo different from the EU series). (sorry for offtopic)

Well, I personally have a lot more play hours in EU4. But mods for CK2 are overall a lot better. However, I much prefer the DLCs EU4 releases.

CK2 I notice is a lot more slower paced, since its more about your dynasty and not really growing a huge empire. There isn't really a lot of action that happens, and it never gets intense or anything. I mean sure your son/daughter can turn around and kill you, but it isn't intense or exciting (at least to me).

EU4 downside is it does get blobby (you don't really blob very much in CK2, that isn't the point of it). Where as EU4 is almost all about blobbing. But its a lot more exciting and intense, and I personally much prefer a huge game map to play on, and not the little play area of europe/tiny part of arica and india...where as in EU4 you get the entire world. EU4 is far more like a VERY advanced RISK to me, which I personally prefer MUCH more.

Nothing wrong with both, but only 60 or so hours of CK2, and I got Eu4 AFTER CK2 (many months after), and it already has hundreds of hours of game time. I barely touch CK2, and when I do, I get kinda bored and go back to EU4. I think people who get most enjoyment out of CK2 is by RPing their dynasty, and I don't really care about that...but I'm a sim city guy, not a Sims guy :P I just find CK2 to go to slow for me, when EU4 is more actiony and to me, EU4 feels a lot more dynamic in what happens to the world map (as long as you turn lucky nations off)

(edit:
Also, for some reason CK2 has no naval combat (and pretty sure naval combat was still important in CK2s timeline :P But I built a huge fleet to take on the AI's fleet coming to land on my shore, and...my guys waved at them like friendly british men and they started raiding my place. Naval combat isn't that great in EU4 either, but there is a ton of features regarding the water (trade, blockades, all kinds of stuff) that is completely missing in CK2. This was a HUGE negative for me.

But yeah, I mean just different games. CK is more for RPers I think, where as EU is more for strategists. That's how I see it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:44:03 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 27, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »

So, I decided to test out the new random world gen and they were quite a bit nicer for the most part. Then, uh, this happened:

Spoiler: MY EYES (click to show/hide)

Naturally I had to start playing. I had no idea continents could get this ridiculous.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 27, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »

Oh geez, yeah, that fugly tile is responsible for something like a third of my RNW rerolls.

EU4 or CK2? Which game you think is it better to invest (scarse) free time into? I have played EU3 for a reatively long time (my greatest achievement was establishing the Indostan state over the whole India) and now I'm sampling the 4th incarnation, but I want to experience something new in Paradox games. I have started getting into CK2 today as well, and I'm afraid it's going to take quite some time to comprehense merely the basics (everything seems soo different from the EU series). (sorry for offtopic)
Depends on your tastes, I'd say.

EU4 if you really like the macro-level play in EU3: blobbing, colonizing, lots of strategic-level combat with big stacks all over.

CK2 is a lot more heavily focused on lower-level management, politics, and dynasty management. I've heard it described as an RPG centered around your family line (as opposed to a single character) and that's a pretty fair assessment, I'd say, not least because there are a shitload more people than the ruler and three advisers and each of them has a bunch of different traits, skills, &c. as opposed to EU rulers consisting entirely of the three tech stats and their age.

They're both fun, but they are fairly different games. CK2 (mods aside) is set in an earlier timeframe, and you're generally going to be using smaller armies on a smaller scale while directly controlling relatively little territory.

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 27, 2015, 05:05:26 pm »

I built a huge fleet to take on the AI's fleet coming to land on my shore, and...my guys waved at them like friendly british men and they started raiding my place.

This is a fairly obscure "feature" that I think is a holdover from EU3. Fleets that are transporting troops have a chance to not be intercepted (which I think happens regardless of composition, number of troops, maneuver, or anything rational). It's pretty annoying when it happens, since typically it's either your fleet failing to engage when you want it to, or the AI getting away when they don't deserve to. Sometimes, if you're really desperate, you can throw the dice and try it yourself, attempting to sneak a weak fleet through by transporting a merc or something.

But yeah, naval combat kind of sucks. It's basically just ships randomly running into each other until they run out of morale, at which point they stop doing anything and just take loads of damage.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 27, 2015, 07:04:35 pm »

I built a huge fleet to take on the AI's fleet coming to land on my shore, and...my guys waved at them like friendly british men and they started raiding my place.

This is a fairly obscure "feature" that I think is a holdover from EU3. Fleets that are transporting troops have a chance to not be intercepted (which I think happens regardless of composition, number of troops, maneuver, or anything rational). It's pretty annoying when it happens, since typically it's either your fleet failing to engage when you want it to, or the AI getting away when they don't deserve to. Sometimes, if you're really desperate, you can throw the dice and try it yourself, attempting to sneak a weak fleet through by transporting a merc or something.

But yeah, naval combat kind of sucks. It's basically just ships randomly running into each other until they run out of morale, at which point they stop doing anything and just take loads of damage.

That was actually in CK2, sorry if it wasn't clear. In CK2 there is no naval anything at all. Not even any trade as far as I saw. I haven't actually noticed that in EU4, so it must be rare or I just don't notice or both lol.

(edit: I have noticed females like CK2 more than EU4 however. From my personal observations, I've seen FAR more female fans for CK2 on facebook+forums than female fans for EU4, which seem to be very rare (I've seen 2-3 over a period of a few months, but they get chased off the forums/facebook group from all the guys lol. Where as female fans for CK2 don't get bombarded by the guys nearly as much...maybe possibly because there are more females that join the groups/forum for CK2, so they get treated differently just because there are more of them so it isn't as rare to see a female join a CK2 group. Or whatever reason. Just my observations.

But for whatever reason, CK2 attracts far more females than EU4 does. But Sims attracts more females than sim city does, so there is that)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:15:53 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2413 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:47 pm »

CK2 gets my vote as the more interesting of the two, as EU4 just does not have the same character depth as CK2. Whilst EU4 is a very nice, calm and even borderline casual (once you understand the mechanics... That have been released) it turns into a game of patient map painting. Not to say that it is slow or unchallenging, as it can be very fast paced and incredibly difficult at times. Much more fun in multiplayer dicking over your m8s on the international stage. And really, sometimes all you want is an exercise in patience ;P
But whilst things are more set in stone in EU4, CK2 is much, much more dynamic and the much more complete of the two (with or without factoring in DLC). The lack of naval battles I feel is incredibly shit, but just about everything else in CK2 is perfect.
EU4 is about the age of Imperialism, where national darwinism and constant growth meant nations which dominated survived and nations which didn't perished. CK2 is about the wheel of fortune and how a pauper today is an Emperor tomorrow, and an Emperor today a pauper tomorrow. The interactions between the people are the focus and their stories the central point of it all.
I'll give you a comparison between two average games of EU4 and CK2 I've had.

In EU4 I started off as the Kingdom of England. I surrendered the French lands to the French, ending the hundred years war. I colonized North America and crushed the American revolution, annexed the Irish Kingdoms and united with Scotland. I placed the Lancasters upon the throne in the war of the roses, gained a foothold in Central America, the Caribbean, the Indian Subcontinent and even Australia - essentially the proto-British Empire of the 19th century, minus the Cape of Africa (which belonged to Portugal, a stalwart ally). In the religious league wars the English joined the Catholic side as they too were Catholic, and the Austrians ever victorious cemented their position as Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and ended Ottoman ambitions for expansion beyond Serbia and Bulgaria. The game would culminate in a showdown between Revolutionary France, Austria, Russia, Tuscany, the Ottomans and Great Britain where France would force the surrender of all of Britain's allies until the war turned into the contest between the Whale and the Elephant, neither one capable of truly challenging the other outside its element. With a relentless blockade unable to be broken even by the most valiant efforts of the French navy, eventually the French Rev Republic was too exhausted to fight and was crushed - ushering in the age of pax Britannica.

In CK2 I started off as a Christian count (I forgot all of their names as this was an average game) on the wrong side of the Holy Lands to an irate Emir who desired my lands. My wife was a Sunni Arab who was not particularly fond of me but eventually grew to fall in love with me, so much so that she stopped sending assassins after our children. My Lord the Emir of Bagdhad grudgingly accepted I was a talented commander and appointed me martial of his forces. All around me great things were happening, the Vikings were making their forays into raiding, the Franks had defeated the Andalusian invasion of France, the Caliphate and the Byzantines were waging bitter war - it all mattered for nought. I was busy partying with the sole Muslim in a Baghdad court decadent enough to drink!
This Emir would however grow ever increasingly hostile to me as time went on, and I waged a war of independence upon him in order to serve the Caliph directly. Being the Marshal of his forces helped considerably, and I had timed the war to coincide with his invasion of one of his rival Emirs - between his rival and my forces, the war was won. The Caliph recognized my skill and made me marshal of the whole Caliphate and commander of the centre; the Caliph was quite happy with me after I led the Caliphate's forces to victory against the Byzantine Empire's attempt to reclaim the levant. This war had very little impact on me despite being a world-changing event, and after some political concessions were forced from the Caliph I found myself back under the suzerainty of an even angrier Emir of Bagdhad. Things were looking to be once more horrendous.
After scheming with some help from my decadent friend (who just so happened to inherit a county within the Emirate with help from myself) a second war was launched and I gained control of the Bagdhad Emirate, elevating myself to ruler of the Emirate and the former Emir reduced to a Sheikh (who was promptly murdered in a Zoroastrian riot, his lands subsequently conquered by me). My decadent friend (now a decadent sheikh) was made my right hand man and I was in turn once more promoted to Marshal and Commander of the Caliphate - just in time to lead the Muslim armies in the First Crusade. After the first Caliph I had served died of old age, a second younger and more martial Caliph took charge (whilst the Crusade was still ongoing). He still looked favourably on me, but had noticeably demoted me from commander of the centre to commander of the right flank. The Crusaders would be defeated but truthfully, it mattered not either way whether we won or not - only if I made it home did it matter.
I made it home and all hell broke loose, the Caliph was victorious but the Caliphate had descended into civil war. The Sultan of Egypt, the Emirs of Persia and the Caliph with his loyalists in the Levant and Arabia all fought viciously, I stayed mostly in the sidelines, running the logistics of the Caliph and helping reinforcements get to the front line. The only time I saw battle was when a hostile Emir tried laying siege to one of my towns.
The second Caliph I served was eventually removed from power and Egypt became an independent Sultanate. The third Caliph was a zealous Sunni convert from Persia, the son of a former Zoroastrian nobleman. He did not like me for my heathen ways, nor did he like how close I had been to the previous Caliph. I gave him my two daughters for reeducation, knowing that they in their old age and their stubborn cynical ways would probably tell his teachers to suck on some figs. But my son on the other hand... He was a hard working, trusting and studious infant. He did not possess his sisters' perception for how things were. I had to refuse his reeducation into a bedouin nobleman.
This pissed off the third Caliph immensely. Before long the Caliph was caught between the decision of invading Egypt or invading Bagdhad. I began gathering friends fast, aware that soon I would die of old age or assassin blades and Bagdhad would be left in the hands of a trusting boy. My coalition of a Christian, a decadent Muslim, the last Zoroastrian, a Khawarjite heretic and the Emir whose 1st and 2nd wife had cheated on him with the Caliph fought hard and long and won - securing independence just in time for the Sultan of Egypt to capture the Caliphate's capital. After my death the coalition would unite behind my son, by then an able commander holding together a loose federation of Catholics, Sunni heretics, Sunnis, Assassins and a smidgen of Buddhists. The only ones who left were the Zoroastrians, who were granted independence as their Duke was violently opposed to rule from anywhere except home.

Those are the average games for me. The exceptional ones I can think off the top of my head in EU4:
  • Using the extended timeline mod to play as Nepal and over the course of 600 years outlive Rome, unite India, revive the Han, bring back Rome and lose my colonial Empire after a government oversight led to a third of my Empire converting to Islam
  • Playing as the Knights of Rhodes surrounded by hostile states, raiding the Mamluks for gold and desperately trying to stay alive. Managed to raid my way around Africa and land a single colony in modern day Colombia just days before my fleet was destroyed, my African territories lost to Mali and my North African territories lost to Spain. I had gained Malta and lost it to the Mamluks and Rhodes herself was barely holding on.

The colony succeeded and for a tense few decades the Knights of Rhodes expanded through central America and the Caribbean. With the conquering of the Incans became a great power and all those who had turned Rhodes to ruins suddenly had reason to fear the sunset invasion. The Knights were back, and not to negotiate.
Whilst in CK2:
  • In a word, Miroslavs

Over the longest campaign possible from the Old Gods Start to the very end the Miroslav dynasty expanded (I was operating under the self-imposed restriction of no expansion through conquest for a long while) and kept expanding, fighting shadow wars behind overt wars, playing off Crusader Knights against Byzantines, Byzantine Queens against Byzantine Empresses, Shiite Caliphs against Byzantine Baselieuses against Sunni Caliphs, fighting dynastic wars of intrigue against Karlings, Isauros and growing so potent as to even make the Mongol invaders into Miroslavs. By the end of that run there had been 21,000 confirmed Miroslavs and everyone alive had a Miroslav as their common ancestor, from the farthest reaches of Timbuktu or Reykjavik to Calcutta. All the world religions were controlled by Miroslavs, all the banks controlled by Miroslavs, the holy orders controlled by Miroslavs, every level of government from the lowest to highest controlled by Miroslavs and the dynastic management was intense. And every single time I was always hanging on by the razor's edge of survival and it was intense. It was only made all the better by conversion funnily enough, to EU4 - managing the dynasty took a different light with the far more powerful EU4 armies and navies raising the cost of war, or made better with the use of mods. Still, I don't think I'll ever top the invasion of the Game of Thrones world:
No. Fucking Words.
You used the fucking world-ending demonic ice zombie hordes as a tool against your personal enemies, invaded the entire planet, and then polished it off by watching as three hundred thousand fucking aztecs landed in the heart of Winter with a dozen dragons, drove back the zombie hordes, and re-established the barrier of men against the wastes you previously let slip.
And then, of all things, the sheer charisma of the aztechs persuaded the White Walkers to take over the duties of the Night's Watch. This is where you've sunk to. You are the bad guy. The aztecs are slitting throats, skinning people, and ripping out hearts, and you're the bad guy. The ice demons of the endless northern wastes are guarding the Wall from themselves and you're the bad guy. The great slavery empires of the East have been overthrown under wave of screaming tribesmen, and you're the bad guy. Winter has become a formal fucking procedure and you're the bad guy.
When you play the game of thrones, you win, or the serbians come.
EU4 does not have the same potential to go... Completely... Off... The same way. On a thematic note I don't want EU4 to have the same character depth as CK2, I think it's quite appropriate that the Imperialism simulator has more concern for the tea trade than the people drinking it, but CK2 does have it and it uses it perfectly (in a very DF style, leave the notes and let your mind connect them to make music). If EU4 had better peacetime mechanics to deal with infrastructure development, client/ally management and technological/social progress control/guidance it could perhaps compete by doing what EU4 does better than what CK2 does in regards to what CK2 does best. I haven't tried the Cossacks or Common Sense DLCs in EU4 which deal with some of those, which may explain that a bit. The trade system could also use some dynamism to help history develop on non-linear paths (that surprise you! You will only once in your life see the invincible ring of Portugal) and the culture and religion spread system are inferior to both CK2 and VIC2 (VIC2 doing it fantastically with population tracking, migration, assimilation and CK2 doing it well with it all happening through layers of nobles, courtiers and commoners), also failing to accurately represent how culture and religion spread through the age of Exploration and early Imperialism. The monarch points system itself is quite painful, overextension seems quite forced (compare CK2 and EU4's ideas of overextension, where in CK2 there is no number that decides you are overextended too much. It's a personal judgement that if you refuse to make will eventually result in your Empire growing too large to administrate properly, crush all revolts and stop vassals breaking away - resulting in a natural collapse, versus EU4's "you go over 100% you die," which really slows down the aggressive Imperialism the game models (at least until client states are unlocked)). Without even addressing the cost of DLCs... CK2 offers more. On a technical basis EU4 runs smoother and its saves are much smaller which may be of concern to you, as after a while CK2 games can slow down (so games lasting several centuries are not advised except in really special games).

When it comes to investing scarce time, I would actually say go for EU4. CK2 and EU4 both have a wealth of mechanics to learn, but EU4's are definitely simpler and more abstracted, something which it achieves very well (perhaps too well :D). EU4 will give you all the fun you want and is solid in its own right, and a brilliant banter machine slightly less vehement against friends than Monopoly. But it's like this, if you have more time, just as investing time to learn DF makes Fun, investing time to learn CK2 makes Fun.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 28, 2015, 04:52:10 am »

So, I decided to test out the new random world gen and they were quite a bit nicer for the most part. Then, uh, this happened:

Spoiler: MY EYES (click to show/hide)

Naturally I had to start playing. I had no idea continents could get this ridiculous.

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 216