Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451618 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2655 on: April 22, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »

POLSKA SILNY!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2656 on: April 23, 2016, 05:09:44 am »

Playing as Spain again. I wanted to go for the Master of Africa achievement, and was making pretty good progress on it. All that was left to conquer was the Egypt/Sudan/Ethiopia region along the Red Sea. Oman was holding a couple of provinces on that strait that connects to Arabia, so I declared war on them and took a bunch of provinces along the Arabian coast.
Now, Oman was allied to Mewar or something in India, and I thought, "hey it's only 1720 I could pull off Master of Africa and Master of India". Obviously this wasn't the case but vov.
I took only a couple of Indian provinces in the end, I couldn't be arsed sieging down their level 6 fort spam. Still, it was a foothold (that kept spawning 40k rebel stacks, RIP) and that was okay.
Meanwhile, the coalition of Ottomans, Ethiopia, Persia, and Egypt (I think they were released by Ottomans in a peace deal) was dissolved, so I launched an invasion there. Went well, after a few years of chasing around dozens of 1k armies I took about 140% overextension worth of shitty territory.
This would have been fine, I had more than enough troops in the area to keep knocking down rebels, but I noticed that Hindustan (who owned most of India) was sitting on 0 manpower. So Very Clever me decided that whatever war I started over there wouldn't end until well after the Ethiopian provinces were all cored.
Not so.
I forgot to factor in that Hindustan had allies in Delhi who had also blobbed quite significantly. I assumed that 60k soldiers would be enough to subdue India while another 120k squished rebels, but that was also not true. I was haemorrhaging soldiers to 130% discipline rebels and 80-100k Indian doomstacks at the same time. I burned through my ~150k manpower in no time, regretting not taking Quantity, and watched in despair.
Eventually I got myself into a white peace with Delhi, and then sank more ducats/manpower into making Hindustan give me their delicious dye provinces.
This put me at ~220% OE. Apparently coring takes a while when rebels are occupying everything.
Almost immediately, rebels everywhere. Then my ruler died and I got a shitty foreign noble take over. Now I've got bloody Africans declaring independence all over, Civil War ticking up, Aspiration for Liberty ticking up, and basically no soldiers to deal with it.

RIP African-Indian-Spanish Empire. Your 2500 development will be missed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 23, 2016, 11:32:40 am »

Playing as Spain again. I wanted to go for the Master of Africa achievement

the what now

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 23, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »

Playing as Spain again. I wanted to go for the Master of Africa achievement

the what now
I'm guessing someone accidentally conflated "Master of India" (as a European country, own and have cores on all of India) with the same conceptual idea for Africa...maybe African Power? (Own and have cores in all of Africa as Kongo - not Spain). 

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2659 on: April 23, 2016, 02:47:30 pm »

(Own and have cores in all of Africa as Kongo - not Spain). 
Fug
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 29, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »

My game keeps crashing. I haven't had problems at the beginning, but now it's just crashing every half an hour or so. Does anyone know a possible reason, or how I can diagnose this?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 29, 2016, 02:24:09 pm »

There are logs in the "documents/paradox interactive" directory (the same directory for mods and savefiles) that should show the cause of the crash. You can take that to the technical support forum, or if you're using any mods, try disabling them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2662 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Mongol Empire is fun. You eventually reach critical Mongol where with a million marching Mongols, only the extent of your maps and the ability of your commanders becomes the greatest obstacle in your way.

Unfortunately towards the end of the great conquest, the great armies of the Khans began to slow their progress. Time had to be made to construct new fleets in the Mediterranean and the Baltics, and to make matters worse the density of Fortresses greatly amassed the closer the horde approached the Holy Roman Empire, some unknown and unchartered foreign Empire. With momentum decreased the horde could no longer annex the Germans without risking overextension, which given the size of the Empire was much too much to risk - much easier to diplomatically annex and chip away at the ailing Empire, at least until the Empire was consolidated and the silk roads united. With horde unity decreasing the great Khan decided to reform the Empire and do away with the old hordes and settle down across the land - ordering the construction of a great swathe of Fortresses across the conquered lands to ensure the lands of the West could pose absolutely no threat all across the entire Empire's restructuring. It would only take a few decades for the Mongols to develop cannons and reduce the Holy Roman Empire to dust - the Empire's days were numbered unless the French could come to their aid fast.

I'm thinking a second Knights hardcore run, but this time vs the Mongol Empire, based in Malta, not Rhodes - using the ET mod, not ironman vanilla. I'm not sure if the Mongolian Empire can physically be defeated in any meaningful sense of the term, but repelling them and pushing them into Asia should be within the realm of possibility, with perhaps the additional goal of cutting them off from Africa.

Ryukyu could also do, but they'd spend the game doing not much in particular. Interestingly when the Mongols smashed Andalusia, Portugal entered into a personal union with Spain - if the Iberians can stop the Mongols diplo-annexing Granada, all of Iberia could belong to one crown. I wonder if the French and Germans can hold off the Mongol Empire long enough for the Iberians and Britons to form colonial Empires capable of attaining victory? Will the Timbuktu Empire of West Africa potentially be the dark horse three hundred years later?

It goes without saying that it will not be an easy task, least of all because before saving I cheated to give the Empire an admin tech 260 years ahead of its time in order to give the Empire much-needed stability to not implode, so even the AI will have a hard time making the Empire collapse - with over 1,500,000 cavalry at its disposal, and a few tens of thousands of infantry. The Empire is Nestorian and reformed to a monarchy, and has both humanitarian and religious ideas so it'll only grow more stable as time goes on. The only issue I think the Empire will ever have is that there are so many provinces manually assigning estates is near impossible, which should be no issue for the AI :D

Norwegian exodus or big blue blob also seem appealing, but I'm not sure if I have the time for that, whilst operating clandestine pirate armadas is just as rewarding - I especially like unraveling giants by making them fall through a pin.

Religions. I'll cheat the Mongols into gaining expansion ideas before switching to the Knights (I think given their aggressive expansion they've def. earned it). Hopefully everyone else will develop exploration ideas before everything becomes Mongols

First Knights mission:
  • Rescue the Pope

Thus begins Mongolia Universalis

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 29, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »

mods used?
time spent?
virgins drained of blood to give you inspiration for these campaigns?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2664 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:20 pm »

1. Extended Timeline, Genghis Khan's bookmark
2. About 8 hours just for the Mongols
3. Enough to turn EU4 into HOI2
MONGOLIA IS NOW

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:50 am »

With the new expansion, I'm going back to try and complete my first (failed) run Brandenburg -> Germany -> Historical Roman Territories.

Brandenburg seems to have a much stronger start than they did a few years back.

Anyways, the year is ~1500, I'm the current Holy Roman Emperor, although Authority is 0 because I'm just using the title to dodge Unlawful Territory, and also to dismantle free states (there's like two on Luibeck Estuaries).

The Protestant Reformation has just begun. Based on existing reformation centers, more than half of my lands will convert to protestant. If I convert to protestant I loose my Emperorship, which would be very inconvenient since forming Germany involves carving deep into the HRE. Since 4/6 Electors are voting for me with over +150, it seems a bit foolish to just toss that.

I'm allied to Hungary, three smallish electors, Poland-Lithuania, and France-Austria, and Sweden-Norway. I've actually never played a significant role in the League Wars, and never on the Protestant Side. I assume some of my allies will split on each side of the war.

Is there a way for me, the Catholic Emperor, to support the Protestant League, and retain Emperorship without having to re-garner a support base? oh yeah, I think France-Austria might end up Protestant in this game. I know Sweden-Norway is.

Also how bad is the Religious Unity < 75% Disaster?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:26:32 am by Jiokuy »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 17, 2016, 11:14:10 pm »

Also how bad is the Religious Unity < 75% Disaster?

Since it's been a week you've probably figured this out by now, but it's not bad at all. Compared to most disasters, the religious one is very tame. Which is probably a good thing, since you might be stuck in it a while if you want to remain catholic & aren't going Humanist.

Not sure if there is a way to be the catholic emperor and join the protestants. I think the emperor is forced to be the leader of the catholic league.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 24, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »

Could someone explain to me why sometimes on of my armies simply don't retreat? I'm in a battle with multiple armies, I tell them to retreat, and all but one will go to the capital. That one will just sit there and another army can attack it. I tell it to retreat again, the battle ends but it doesn't move, another army attacks it and it's gone.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2668 on: May 25, 2016, 12:50:28 am »

Depends on how long each army has been there, their morale, and whether or not the pathing AI feels like fucking with you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 25, 2016, 07:46:57 pm »

What do you mean it depends? Could you give me a scenario in which it could happen?
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 216