Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451514 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3045 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:33 am »

Unsurprisingly Western units are the best in the late-game by two pips while Easter/Anatolian units are better in the early game. Everyone else is pretty much neck and neck, though I'm sure that some comparisons are more favourable than others.

It's very much worth noting that tech group units really don't matter so much (especially as compared to release). There are obvious breakpoints and close cases where it's a really bad idea to fight a war, but that's more a function of the tech system than unit pip differences. An equivtech war against a similar-sized enemy is not much harder if they have a small advantage in unit pips, although it will mean slightly higher casualties.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3046 on: November 07, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My North Sea Norse run. The Norse Empire stretches from Scandinavia to the British Isles and Greenland beyond, far West to the island of Bermuda and down south to the Falklands, farther into the Pacific and out into Norse Zealand. It is a mighty Empire, the Empire of Oldfoundland!

I started out in Canada with a joke custom nation of Atlantean Vikings, swiftly absorbing all of North and South America's coasts, when I realized with some hilarity upon settling the West African coast that animists and fetishists were treated as Norse pagan heretics - not a heathen religion. As such, the religious war cb allowed the option of converting West African princes to Norseness... Which of course, was too irresistible a chance to refuse.
I did my best to create powerful African trade Empires, then upon ensuring their territorial integrity, set them loose upon the continent. This had the lovely benefit of creating numerous friendly nations that would allow my troops access to Africa but refuse the Christians, and even better - block all their attempts at colonizing Eastwards, resulting in Portugal getting so Poortugal, it was once nearly wholly annexed by Morocco. Poortugal was reduced down to Lisboa and would've suffered further had the African Norse not united to repel the Moroccan expedition in West Africa. Spain never founded a single colony. For that matter, almost no colonial powers existed, to the point where the principle settlers of the East Indies were the Indonesian princes (helpfully converted to Norse paganism) and the Russians.

Oldfoundland was originally an OPM in Canada, yet the ultimate goal was to reclaim the Danelaw. Naturally this meant evicting the Catholics, which the locals seemed to oppose rather vehemently. The result was to be the great clashing of Atlantean and European civilization:
For whom the only true winner was the Ottoman Empire, annexing the entirety of Austria and Hungary amidst the great war. Thereafter the Norse moved their capital to Yorkshire, provoking a great controversy and uproar back home in the Americas, with the American Atlanteans protesting that the government had forgotten their ways, protesting to such an extent that the American nations erupted into outright rebellion. Before long warlords seized control of their own private Republics, and central authority over the two continents would be shattered forever more, replaced by the great scheming game between the various alliances of such arcane nations as Republican Mexico and the Canadian Empire. Amidst all of this the Government of Oldfoundland quietly divided the British realms into smaller realms, and quietly annexed those - until such time as it could set its sights upon the realms of Denmark and Russia. Thereafter it settled Norse Zealand, and with the aid of Norse African allies, spread the good word of Odin into the interior of Africa, or confounded the politics of the Christians with a good rabble rousing round of invasion.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:06 am »

My North Sea Norse run. The Norse Empire stretches from Scandinavia to the British Isles and Greenland beyond, far West to the island of Bermuda and down south to the Falklands, farther into the Pacific and out into Norse Zealand. It is a mighty Empire, the Empire of Oldfoundland!

I started out in Canada with a joke custom nation of Atlantean Vikings, swiftly absorbing all of North and South America's coasts, when I realized with some hilarity upon settling the West African coast that animists and fetishists were treated as Norse pagan heretics - not a heathen religion. As such, the religious war cb allowed the option of converting West African princes to Norseness... Which of course, was too irresistible a chance to refuse.
I did my best to create powerful African trade Empires, then upon ensuring their territorial integrity, set them loose upon the continent. This had the lovely benefit of creating numerous friendly nations that would allow my troops access to Africa but refuse the Christians, and even better - block all their attempts at colonizing Eastwards, resulting in Portugal getting so Poortugal, it was once nearly wholly annexed by Morocco. Poortugal was reduced down to Lisboa and would've suffered further had the African Norse not united to repel the Moroccan expedition in West Africa. Spain never founded a single colony. For that matter, almost no colonial powers existed, to the point where the principle settlers of the East Indies were the Indonesian princes (helpfully converted to Norse paganism) and the Russians.

Oldfoundland was originally an OPM in Canada, yet the ultimate goal was to reclaim the Danelaw. Naturally this meant evicting the Catholics, which the locals seemed to oppose rather vehemently. The result was to be the great clashing of Atlantean and European civilization:
For whom the only true winner was the Ottoman Empire, annexing the entirety of Austria and Hungary amidst the great war. Thereafter the Norse moved their capital to Yorkshire, provoking a great controversy and uproar back home in the Americas, with the American Atlanteans protesting that the government had forgotten their ways, protesting to such an extent that the American nations erupted into outright rebellion. Before long warlords seized control of their own private Republics, and central authority over the two continents would be shattered forever more, replaced by the great scheming game between the various alliances of such arcane nations as Republican Mexico and the Canadian Empire. Amidst all of this the Government of Oldfoundland quietly divided the British realms into smaller realms, and quietly annexed those - until such time as it could set its sights upon the realms of Denmark and Russia. Thereafter it settled Norse Zealand, and with the aid of Norse African allies, spread the good word of Odin into the interior of Africa, or confounded the politics of the Christians with a good rabble rousing round of invasion.

Its ahistorical stuff like this that makes this game darn good

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 08, 2017, 10:42:34 am »

Damn it, Loud Whispers. I was gunning for the same achievement and now my accomplishments can't help but pale in comparison to your own. It's 1700 and I barely have a foothold on Scandinavia for Odin's sake. Admittedly it's because I got infected by colonization fever and beating up defenceless Mexicans, Inca and First Nations distracted me for decades. At least it catapulted me into my rightful place as the second greatest nation in the world, behind the inevitable Ottoman blob.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3049 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:02 pm »

Damn it, Loud Whispers. I was gunning for the same achievement and now my accomplishments can't help but pale in comparison to your own. It's 1700 and I barely have a foothold on Scandinavia for Odin's sake. Admittedly it's because I got infected by colonization fever and beating up defenceless Mexicans, Inca and First Nations distracted me for decades. At least it catapulted me into my rightful place as the second greatest nation in the world, behind the inevitable Ottoman blob.
I know that feel, though to be fair colonization fever isn't all that bad, and has the added benefit of denying the Americas to the European powers. imo you can just chill for the first 100 years, keeping your MP saved to develop provinces and spawn renaissance & colonialism in North America, while taking over all of the Caribbean, St. Lawrence & American East Coast, everything after that is icing on the cake. Just don't get drawn into the curse of trying to colonize all the continents at the same time, leaving Norse Africa alone is as much self-deterrence as it was for the Poortuguese Empire ;D
Also note that you can save a hell of a lot of time colonizing by taking over the coasts, moving your capital to yurop and letting the colonial nations do their own thing more or less. By leaving the Americas and popping colonial republics your colonist count should jump from +3 to +13, which also frees up your states count so you can properly begin converting the British Isles & Scandinavia to Odinism with the religion edict

Easy mode:
Ally with the Ottomans.
Seriously with the power of the Americas and the Ottomans combined few things can last the Ottoblob and Norseblob glancing at them in a neutral manner. Natural allies, with different trade empires, common enemies and a desire to carve up Christendom - match made in heaven

I'm not sure if the Norse treating Fetishists as heretics is a bug or feature ;]

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 10, 2017, 09:01:20 pm »

I'm not sure if the Norse treating Fetishists as heretics is a bug or feature ;]
It seems the Norse were a pretty kinky people.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:08 pm »

Quick tip I learned the painful way - don't take the Mandate of Heaven unless you've balkanized all of Asia and Muscovy has been strangled. Kinda ruined my Oirat-Yuan game.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 16, 2017, 05:17:47 pm »

So I was just recommended this game by a friend, and noticed it's currently on sale.

I've never actually tried a single game in this genre before, though, and have no idea if I'd actually like it. The base game is currently $11, which is about the limit of what I want to gamble on an unknown... but reading the reviews and such, it sounds like people are saying the game is "incomplete" unless you buy another $30+ of DLC.

So... is there actually any point in buying just the base game to try it out? If it's not fun without the DLC, I'll probably just assume the genre's not for me. But I don't wanna drop a lot of money on DLCs only to find I don't like the entire game, either.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 16, 2017, 05:22:30 pm »

It's definitely playable without the DLC. It's a little frustrating every now and then if you don't have Art of War, but that's all I'd really say is a necessity for playing.

E: Long-term, that is. You'd definitely want to pick up Art of War if you come to like the game, but you don't really need it if you're just testing the waters for now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:33:59 am by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 17, 2017, 12:59:02 am »

So... is there actually any point in buying just the base game to try it out? If it's not fun without the DLC, I'll probably just assume the genre's not for me.

I personally wouldn't play the base game; the game is designed around having almost all the DLC. You can avoid most problems by just getting Art of War and Common Sense, but that's still an investment for an incomplete experience. EU4 isn't really something I can recommend to someone new to the genre. Taking a stab in the dark with such an expensive game doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In other news, Cradle of Civilization came out today, along with the accompanying patch. It's pretty fun, although the Ottoman AI is royally hecked now. Albania starts gaurunteed by Venice and can usually ally Poland/Hungary immediately. If the Ottomans attack (and they usually do) they get crushed & the newly buffed Mamluks come in to mop up.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 17, 2017, 03:54:15 am »

I would probably try Victoria 2 or so in that case. Complete game with less DLC and cheaper on sale. But all games are basically different, even though they use the Clausewitz engine.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 17, 2017, 05:39:39 am »

Yeah, I must admit that the list of DLC is... daunting. For all my paradox game so far but HoI IV, I took a stab using... less legal methods before buying it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:39 am »

I've never actually tried a single game in this genre before, though, and have no idea if I'd actually like it.

Have you watched any let's play videos of it? YouTube's full of them. I sometimes watch those, when I'm not sure if I want to buy a game or not. You get to see what the game's like and a bit of a tutorial as well. I've watched Arumba's EU4 LP's in the past (don't remember which ones), but there are a whole lot of others making LP's of Paradox games. (Sure, they've got most of the DLC and a bunch of mods, but you'll still get an idea of what the game is like.)
And if you don't want to watch videos, there are also LP's on various forums like FearfulJesuit's one here in B12.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 17, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »

I also wouldn't be too obsessed over getting the "complete" experience.  No matter which nation you play, you won't be playing with features from many of the packs for no other reason than because you're only playing one country at a time.  If you aren't playing in the New World, you can skip El Dorado and Conquest of Paradise; almost all of their features pertain to New World nations, with a few for other colonizers.  If you aren't playing in the Far East, especially China, the Manchu tribes, or Japan, Mandate of Heaven isn't nearly as important; it has precisely one feature that isn't "ease-of-use" and applies to all nations. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:22:52 pm by Culise »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 17, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »

I would probably try Victoria 2 or so in that case. Complete game with less DLC and cheaper on sale. But all games are basically different, even though they use the Clausewitz engine.
Side note, but I had to buy Vicky 2 off Amazon for some reason (the steam version wouldn't work for me IIRC?).  And the version I got off Amazon shipped unpatched.  Unpatched Vicky 2 is madness.  T h e  r e b e l s  a r e  c o m i n g.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 216