Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451550 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3060 on: November 18, 2017, 06:39:37 am »

So, I have Right of Man, Common Sense and Art of War as well as Mare Nostrum and I'm thinking of picking one or two more, suggestions?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 18, 2017, 12:06:53 pm »

I'm told that El Dorado is pretty good. Along with the Native American features, it comes with Nation Designer, and gives access to Support Independence (which also allows you to play countries like Norway or Holland.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 18, 2017, 03:20:11 pm »

I'm told that El Dorado is pretty good. Along with the Native American features, it comes with Nation Designer, and gives access to Support Independence (which also allows you to play countries like Norway or Holland.)

Yeah it's probably worth it just for the nation designer.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 24, 2017, 02:05:47 pm »

I just got back into the game after 3 years. Great improvements to the level of detail, performance, AI and overall playability. The game has reached a good level of complexity and ironman is no walk in the park. Had to restart a couple of times after having found out new mechanics I hadn't used before. I mean the estates interaction button is quite important despite being such a subtle button.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 24, 2017, 03:46:42 pm »

I just got back into the game after 3 years. Great improvements to the level of detail, performance, AI and overall playability. The game has reached a good level of complexity and ironman is no walk in the park. Had to restart a couple of times after having found out new mechanics I hadn't used before. I mean the estates interaction button is quite important despite being such a subtle button.

i think estates are generally a good concept and implemented ok. but they're kinda fussy because of all the arbitrary breakpoints.

they'd also be better if they were more varied - like instead of just a "nobility" estate there were different noble houses to juggle, with the possibility of any of them rebelling. also if estates were more mandatory - like get rid of the generic advisors, generic diplomats, and generic generals, and tie all of those into estates. like where do these people come from if they're not from estates?

anyway, they're fine how they are, but could be more interesting.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 24, 2017, 04:21:38 pm »

Oh man, different noble houses would be awesome.

So I just hit year 1700 in my "Hungary" run. I have transformed into Byzantium and am attempting to restore the Roman Empire. I've retaken Anatolia and Egypt and have nearly completed my conquests of North Africa (Just Morocco left) and Italy (Just Milan Left).

Currently gathering allies and defaming Austria in what is sure to be the first World War. (Actually the second, the HRE religious war was insane in scope.) It's gonna be tight... I need Vienna to restore the Empire, but they allied all my allies and Austria's Dip Rep is crazy rn. After that I'm somehow going to have to conquer all of Spain, France, and England.

Ugh.

EDIT: I'm not sure, but it seems like you could add more estates with a variety of events, effects, and conditions fairly easily... I may try my hand at noble houses mod.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:24:52 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 25, 2017, 07:23:27 pm »

It's so annoying when things go down the drain. The AI is an opportunist of infinite proportions, even the Sami with their miniscule armies seize moments against countries 20 times their size. The use of raiders/1k province takers is also difficult to combat without getting counter raiders wiped by their chased but avoidant main or semi-main stacks. My strategy is usually to fight the main stacks first and then detach some troops to take back provinces. They also seem to siege forts in a fraction of the time I do it, not sure if they storm or use the breach action. It's dangerous to play the game for too long at a time, but it's hard to quit without turning tides, which in essence just adds fuel to the deepening spiral of mistakes. :P I usually never lose in strategy games, in Civ 5 somtimes only a loss of 0-2 units per run, but this is really different, in a good way.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:25:49 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3067 on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With the aid of Burgundy, I managed to defeat the French as England and win the hundred years war - taking Paris and forming a personal union with France. Once I managed to win the loyalty of France, I was effectively free to bully all of Europe, stealing their colonies and such - but my main goal after the hundred years war was to bully the Scandinavians. Bullied Denmark to steal all of the Norwegian islands in the North Sea, took control of the Sound Toll and began nicking all their Baltic Islands. By stealing all their Baltic Islands my fleets of trade ships with maritime, naval and English ideas dominated Baltic trade, allowing me to then invade Novgorod, stunting Muscovite expansion, taking over key trade ports in the Baltic and White Sea. Then, maxing out on merchants, I turned all of Russia into my giant informal trade Empire, my caravans seizing all of their trade power and bringing it to the North and Baltic Seas, both dominated by me. I didn't bother expanding or fighting militarily at this point, content to just peacefully spread protestantism and send loads of money to the Portuguese and Burgundians for having been such faithful allies in the early-years. Both Burgundy and Portugal became great powers as a result. The Livonian Order willingly joined me, being diplo-annexed, but not before the Grandmaster converted the order to a protestant one. Thereafter the great Franco-British Union peacefully traded the ever loving shit out of the North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Sea, English Channel, Baltic and White Seas, flooding all the German and Russian markets with merchant caravans who could steal delicious trade without ever having to fire a single bullet.
Then some interesting things happen.
Austria inherits Hungary.
Spain inherits Austria.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 26, 2017, 01:28:17 pm »

Is there a reliable workaround to the trade company merchant bug yet?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3069 on: November 27, 2017, 01:09:42 pm »

Don't think so

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »

Don't think so

Found elsewhere that if you just remove provinces from trade companies you don't have 51% in you get the merchant from the ones you do in case anyone was wondering.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 28, 2017, 02:58:40 am »

Care to explain me that bug? I don't colonize as European countries often.

Also, here's an important tip for the people who want to play Hungary: NEVER EVER FORM THE BLACK ARMY. The discipline bonus for mercs seems godly, but mercs are frigging expensive for the Hungarian economy, and the discipline bonus isn't very good in the early game (morale is the king in the early game), where you need to remove Ottoderps from Balkans ASAP. Also, you'll need to pay some serious dosh for the Black Army's maintenance!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 28, 2017, 03:13:03 am »

Ya Hungary's all about min-maxing your income and getting a large enough force to fight off the Ottomans. Take Serbia and Bosnia ASAP and develop the fuck out of your gold mines (Hont and Kosovo.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3073 on: November 28, 2017, 07:54:01 am »

>not forming Hungary-Austria
weak hungry game tbh

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:33 am »

>not forming Hungary-Austria
weak hungry game tbh

Austrat is nation of weaklink, you must be of stronk to remove kebab from south empire!
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 216