Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: What is YOUR most wanted feature?  (Read 12333 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: What is YOUR most wanted feature?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 02:47:23 pm »

Not really. There will always be limited system resources, but there is no reason the game must slow down over time. It can be fixed, and should be fixed.

No, it's not necessary for the game to slow down over time for no reason.  The reason is the part that none of really know for sure.  Part of it I think is stuff that could be fixed.  Supposedly corpses participate in a lot of searches and such that they shouldn't.  That's fixable, and leads to a drain over time as you keep butchering animals and killing invaders.  How this is known I have no idea, but maybe someone has disassembled the game to determine this.

Other stuff like more items showing up from invaders or being created, bolts getting fired off halfway across the map and forgotten, things getting mined out, well, there's nothing that can be done to prevent those from causing eventual FPS death.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:45 am »

Aside from the "several fortressess per world/conserve fortress/ability to generate your own kingdom", what I'd really like is a better management of stockpiles and workshop options.

As in: Why do I have to specify which gems I want my jeweler to cut (which I don't really care, I just want him to cut them all), but meanwhile I can't tell my masons to stop using flux stone to make doors?

Also, why can't I search for something in the custom stockpile menu? For instance: I don't want to search through the hundreds of animals in the Animal stockpile option to find trolls, goblins, etc. I mean, at least they could be alphabetically sorted, right?

I'd also like magic getting its way into fortress mode, in the form of artifacts having (initially) unknown special effects, which you would have to gradually expose by having your dorfs using them.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 07:18:43 am »

Aside from the "several fortressess per world/conserve fortress/ability to generate your own kingdom", what I'd really like is a better management of stockpiles and workshop options.

As in: Why do I have to specify which gems I want my jeweler to cut (which I don't really care, I just want him to cut them all), but meanwhile I can't tell my masons to stop using flux stone to make doors?

Also, why can't I search for something in the custom stockpile menu? For instance: I don't want to search through the hundreds of animals in the Animal stockpile option to find trolls, goblins, etc. I mean, at least they could be alphabetically sorted, right?

I'd also like magic getting its way into fortress mode, in the form of artifacts having (initially) unknown special effects, which you would have to gradually expose by having your dorfs using them.

Curious fact: If you use DFHack to force your dwarf to cut/encrust without specifying any gems, he will cut and encrust with random gems. Why isn't this a feature already? Well, idk.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:53 am »

Simpler fixes that would greatly improve speed and ease of gameplay:

Copy stockpile settings.
I hate having to recreate complex stockpile settings from scratch if I want to expand them. "Q" select one and have a key to "copy" its settings.

Automatically select building material from last build instead of nearest.
I hate having to "* + + +" through a list 40 times over to fill in extra floor/wall tiles.

Faster list browsing keys.
Something like "+" that goes 5 spaces at a time so you don't need to press "+" 10 times to get to something in the middle of a "page".

Building algorithms that check to see if building a certain tile will make others inaccessible and building the inaccessible ones first.
I hate having to micromanage building walls, especially if I want to make a multiple z-level wall that's a constant width.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:08 am »

Curious fact: If you use DFHack to force your dwarf to cut/encrust without specifying any gems, he will cut and encrust with random gems. Why isn't this a feature already? Well, idk.
I guess I'll have to abuse it, then

Simpler fixes that would greatly improve speed and ease of gameplay:

Copy stockpile settings.
I hate having to recreate complex stockpile settings from scratch if I want to expand them. "Q" select one and have a key to "copy" its settings.

Automatically select building material from last build instead of nearest.
I hate having to "* + + +" through a list 40 times over to fill in extra floor/wall tiles.

Faster list browsing keys.
Something like "+" that goes 5 spaces at a time so you don't need to press "+" 10 times to get to something in the middle of a "page".

Building algorithms that check to see if building a certain tile will make others inaccessible and building the inaccessible ones first.
I hate having to micromanage building walls, especially if I want to make a multiple z-level wall that's a constant width.
These!!

Oh lawd, THESE!!
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:39 pm »

Some fucking proper AI to dwarves run to the secure area when chased by a goblin army.
Everytime, EVERYTIME there's an ambush, about 10 dwarves will start running towards the enemy army to haul a sock I forgot to forbid and then when the army chases them, the dwarves just run around like headless chickens. And when I order a squad to attack and then cancel because I notice they're just too weak, the bastards will keep running to a random location with "no job" status.
This is the only frustration I'm having with Dwarf Fortress.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

Some fucking proper AI to dwarves run to the secure area when chased by a goblin army.
Everytime, EVERYTIME there's an ambush, about 10 dwarves will start running towards the enemy army to haul a sock I forgot to forbid and then when the army chases them, the dwarves just run around like headless chickens. And when I order a squad to attack and then cancel because I notice they're just too weak, the bastards will keep running to a random location with "no job" status.
This is the only frustration I'm having with Dwarf Fortress.

Well, I grant, the military system doesn't work nearly well, but... If you look from a point of view, nothing on DF does. Nothing is really "exact" or precise at DF. You send orders and stuff and your dwarves do when they will or have the time. It's not like strategy games where you click or designate an order and either your troops do it at once or pop a message error that they couldn't do "X" because they are doing "Y". DF is much more complicated. Imagine it as a real fortress, and you're a single dwarf. You're hauling stockpiles and then you notice you're being ambushed. They take the same time (arguably more) than you to realize that. Now imagine you're a soldier this time, and received an order to attack the enemy. In the MIDDLE of the battle, you receive an order to withdraw. It won't go as expected.

There are real, legitimate glitches within DF (including exploits, such as danger rooms and "coin multiplying") that should be taken care before.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:23:12 pm by Wellincolin »

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »

There are real, legitimate glitches within DF (including exploits, such as danger rooms and "coin multiplying") that should be taken care before.
Well, but since I don't use coins and don't build danger rooms because I dislike exploiting, I don't care about those.
But I agree they are serious exploits that should be fixed as soon as possible.

But what I meant is: sometimes dwarves will just run to the weirdest place possible when standing next to a door. This happened to me today:

G -> Goblins
_ -> Floor
| -> Tunnel
D -> Dwarf

__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
__D___
______
______
G G G G

The dwarf was heading for the stockpiles to drink. Then, the goblins here started to chase him, and he started running another way, like this:

__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
__|||__
______D
______
___G_G
G G __

This dwarf wasn't really important, but this kind of stuff happens way too often IMO.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:37:57 pm by VNdoug »

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »

Well, but since I don't use coins and don't build danger rooms because I dislike exploiting, I don't care about those.

It's not done with coins only, they're just the most effective. You get roughly 50%+ (150% metal back total, it was something inbetween .3 or .5 IIRC) metal from melting coins than you used for making them. Including candy (blue metal).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:38:45 pm by Wellincolin »

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »

It's not done with coins only, they're just the most effective. You get roughly 50%+ (150% metal back total) metal from melting coins than you used for making them. Including candy (blue metal).
I'm such a noob that I never found candy and made only about 10 iron weapons in 5 or 6 forts I've lost.  :P

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »

It's not done with coins only, they're just the most effective. You get roughly 50%+ (150% metal back total) metal from melting coins than you used for making them. Including candy (blue metal).
I'm such a noob that I never found candy and made only about 10 iron weapons in 5 or 6 forts I've lost.  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:31:59 pm by Wellincolin »

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

Fuller integration; can take a DF character and put him in adventure mode or vice versa.
Ability to siege
history changes as time goes along.
Etc

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:07 pm »

Boats, Sea Travel, Pirates being one and fighting them and Sea Monsters. Hmmm if he does add boats he'll need to add cannons >_> 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Noozeelander

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »

Taverns, and the ability to play as one of my fortress Dwarves after abandoning.

Ooh ooh, rather than that, the ability to play as one of my fortress dwarves and not have to abandon at all! Even if everyone was just standing around in my fort I'd still prefer it to having to abandon every time I want to explore my world in adventure mode

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 01:16:25 am »

Boats, Sea Travel, Pirates being one and fighting them and Sea Monsters. Hmmm if he does add boats he'll need to add cannons >_>

We aren't going to get cannons in vanilla DF, as Toady doesn't want any technology beyond what 12th or so century Europeans had access to. However, it was perfectly normal for navy vessels to use mounted ballista turrets as heavy ranged weaponry on the high seas, and mobile siege equipment will happen eventually, so boats will eventually get heavy equipment like ballistae and catapults to complement their archers. Other than that, about all ancient warships would regularly do was ram each other. A couple other techniques were flamethrowers and releasing toxic gases upwind of an enemy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9