Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Drakefire Chasm: The Dragon Goes "Omnomnom"  (Read 8195 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Drakefire Chasm: The Dragon Goes "Omnomnom"
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »

OP not as witty as title, huzzah! Here's the link. You want the v1.3 version! [Half year later edit: Or whatever's most recent!]

Blurb
Drakefire Chasm is known for its dragon inhabitants. Over the decades, brave and greedy adventurers have dwindled down the numbers of the scalykind, however. Yet some still remain, and the many caves of the Chasm keep drawing treasure hunters even today.

Drakefire Chasm is a seven day roguelike made in 7DRL Challenge of 2012. You play as a freshly born wyrmling, trying to survive and prosper in the old home of dragons. Eat lesser beings, hoard riches, defeat your foes, and finally become a Great Wyrm, the most terrifying and noblest of creatures.

What is it? Drakefire chasm is a coffee-break roguelike about growing up as a dragon. By murdering and eating everything that moves, not always as two separate actions! It's a neat little gem, a former 7dRL* that's been updated a bit since.

Why should I care? Because, for all the shortness, it's one of the better expressions in games I've seen about, well, being a dragon. Killing things, eating things, and collecting the shinies. It's fairly simple, but rampaging around eating everything and spewing fire or lightning or poison or whatev' is enjoyable, the progression system is pretty clean, combat is quick and painless (for the player, anyway. Not so much what's being played, or anything said playee runs in to), and it still manages to be quite challenging. Overall, it's quick, challenging, and good for a few playthroughs or the occasional fireup and rampage.

Any warnings? ASCII! It may be restricted to windows OS... not sure how libtcod and junk deals with crossplatform. That's about it, I think. Except the gnomes. Watch out for ranged crap, especially until you got some better range on you!

Anyway! Just won for the first time with a strength/stamina focused red, and the last fight was pretty amazing**, so I figured I'd throw up a little interest post to see if anyone else has played it/would be interested in it. Give it a whirl folks, and enjoy!

*Seven day roguelike, a roguelike made in seven days, for the uninitiated.
Spoiler: ** (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:29:31 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drakefire Chasm: The Dragon Goes "Omnomnom"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »

Sounds very interesting. Giving it a try.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »

Playable dragons? Definetely checking it out.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:24 am »

Pretty good. A simple dragon simulator, but likely one of the best I have seen.

One thing I don't like though is how you can just suddenly be utterly screwed if you go though a tunnel and come out surrounded by like 10 guys.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:14:50 am by Criptfeind »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:41 am »

murdering and eating everything that moves
Didn't read farther. Downloading.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay for the fantastic first attempt!

Edit2: Meh, crappy game. Ten minutes and I see no reason to continue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:41:03 am by Dariush »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:23 am »

Hmmm, might as well check it out when I get home.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:45:28 pm »

Don't get discouraged too fast. The immediate start is actually one of the most difficult places in the game as your freshly hatched dragon gets swarmed by everyone and the kitchen sink. It is in fact quite possible to be completely screwed from the start.

Just start over until you start in a corridor and figure out which attack to use on which type of enemy (this is one part of the game I actually rather dislike, rock/paper/scissors does not make for a good roguelike).

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »

Played a bit of this and WOW the beginning is likely to kill you.

I got to age 2. Once. Out of 11 deaths. Not sure if I'm really bad or...yeah I'm really bad. More trying, hoy!

EDIT: 19th dragon was huge success. Blue, line, strength/stamina. Got to Old, died after 1838 turns when I was woken up by a party of adventurers and promptly scourged and cleaved to death.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:35:28 pm by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »

Man. I dunno. I find the first three or so levels the easiest. Once the adventures start popping up is when it gets hard for me. I have gotten to what I assume is the last level. And holy shit. Deathknights are killer on that, because they stop you from eating and shit.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

Carrosh wrecked my dragon really quickly. I've had the most success with reds with fireballs, scorewise. The one that got to Carrosh, I picked up an attack of each type (Really does help), magic resistance and hardened scales. As I said, he wrecked me really quickly so not sure the defensive abilities matter at all.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »

Carrosh?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »

I find the first level quite hard and it takes down a lot of my dragons.  Generally the subsequent levels get easier as you go along but the last level is pretty dangerous.  I usually go for balanced stats.  In version 1.1 I had a single victory out of 39 attempts.  I lost twice on the last level.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 01:49:33 am »

Carrosh?

Another question, anyone gotten a dragon orb yet? I'm curious what those do.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:57:40 am »

In my dreams I imagine a dragon sim starting out with eggs hatching in a clutch and the little dragons eating each other until they are alone in the nest(Winner!), get eaten, or find the edge of the nest and climb out...kind of a mini-game to start off.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:19 am »

Dragon orbs are 1 use items, they are usually pretty useful usually.
EG. white dragon orb allows you to freeze a target for ~10 turns, blue dragon orb allows a ~10 distance teleport.
Thoughts: First level can be very annoying unless you are a red dragon (who starts with 20 health), due to the possibility of bad positioning or luck that kill you since you can only take 10 attacks.
They generally get easier (since your powers grow faster then your enemies power grows) up until the final level, which is a real pain in the ass.
Line is a great breath, since it kills everything in 1 hit usually up until the very end of the game.
Best dragon was a white, got to the adventures and killed ~80% of them, probably died because I was too stupid to realize that you could take abilities from trees even if you hadn't taken the previous abilities (magic resistance would have saved my life there since mages did so much damage and I just curbstomped all the melee enemies).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: [1] 2 3