Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238069 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect
« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »

Haha, I was just watching a friend play this (still haven't bought it myself, too many games on my "to play" list and not enough free time).

Apparently the obstacles be damned thing applies to knives from kitchens too. I watched him build a kitchen way across the map from the canteen with a maze-like zig-zagging path between the two completely covered in staff-only doors. The prisoners would suddenly start acting strangely and make their way to the canteen and just sit there by the staff-only door until a cook came by, then follow them through a few hundred staff-only doors along the path across the map until making it to the kitchen. Then they'd get a knife and wait by the door again for the next cook making a trip to the canteen, repeating the trip all the way back, then go about their business as if nothing had happened (with their new knife).

It's just another in his long list of attempts at keeping the knives from the prisoners, which all failed miserably (including an attempt with a metal detector that he couldn't get to work). He loaded up and showed me one of his early ones that had led to all his prisoners escaping, as they went for knives to the kitchen that was outside the prison, then suddenly realized they were out and escaped. The cooks never seemed to mind that prisoners were following them outside or getting knives right in front of them, even guards stationed in the kitchen did nothing to stop them. On the one where the prisoners were escaping, guards stationed outside were too slow to actually catch any of the escapees, with them running off right through a bunch of guards before they reacted.

I then watched him build a 5x5 building (walls and a 3x3 area in the center) and pile 20 prisoners into it, then remove the door and wall it off with brick. Soon the prisoners inside were all destroying and fighting and beating each other up (with various weapons they had brought in from outside, ranging from clubs to knives to what looked like glass). But all his guards spazzed out outside the room trying to path to the "escaping" prisoners and he wasn't able to do anything with the next batch of prisoners to arrive.

It looks like a funny game with lots of potential, but it's definitely an alpha with all the bugs. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

It looks like a funny game with lots of potential, but it's definitely an alpha with all the bugs.

To be fair, a chunk of the amusement is from the bugs.  ;)

But yeah, there's a good reason they spent half the release trailer explaining that the game was still in alpha, and even showing off some of the main show-stopping bugs. The main reason to buy the game now is if you're interested in game development, or are otherwise interested in watching a game develop from 'first playable' to 'release'. (Or if you've got $1000 to spare and want to create your own warden - last I checked, there was still one warden package available!)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:33 pm »

Alpha 2 is out now.

This build contains an update to the guard control system allowing you to assign guards to a specific sector and give them patrols to walk.  You can adjust the prisoner intake rate and there's some mystery additions to the food system too!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:01 pm »

"Mystery additions to the food system" sounds more accurate than was probably intended.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »

Mystery additions, eh? Let's see what happens.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 18, 2012, 03:24:06 pm »

Oh goodie. I'd just remembered that the update was coming soon but i'd forgotten about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »

Prisoner control is wonderful. I can finally build prisons without swarms of escaping inmates!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »

God damn it, I was supposed to get some work done today. And then I see this thread bumped. With news of an update.

Welp, there goes the afternoon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »

God damn it, I was supposed to get some work done today. And then I see this thread bumped. With news of an update.

Welp, there goes the afternoon.
Pretty much my sentiment.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2012, 01:53:35 am »

Yeah, there goes what's left of my monthly bandwidth.

Hopefully this one won't go Subversion!
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2012, 02:35:04 am »

"Mystery additions to the food system" sounds more accurate than was probably intended.

So far it seems to be the addition of adjusting food cost by food quantity and variety...anything else? Certainly a welcome addition.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2012, 10:24:59 pm »

At least things will last pretty more or less indefinitely now, assuming that you didn't create a huge holding cell, give the prisoner some free time, and the game didn't crash.

Still, these prisoners are a bit less intelligent than our average dwarf in satifying their needs in a remotely logical manner, cue sleepy guy complaining about boredom keeping themselves -as well as each and every one of the other prisoners in the same cell block- awake in their standard issue sleep hour, and then decides to stay in the cell napping in their free time. This is a vicious cycle.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 20, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »

Yeah best way to break the cycle is eliminate free time until everyone is "acclimated"  or make the free time 1 hour spurts to avoid lots of sleeping.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 21, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

Or you can just go with it. 6 hours free time + 2 hours food, looped three times a day. They'll sleep when they feel like it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »

Or you can just go with it. 6 hours free time + 2 hours food, looped three times a day. They'll sleep when they feel like it.

That's less a prison and more a holiday.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 107