Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239095 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect - Version 1.0 Release!
« Reply #1395 on: November 13, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »

It needs a willpower bar or something so that punishment / solitary has a meaning

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 13, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »

It needs a willpower bar or something so that punishment / solitary has a meaning
Suppressed prisoners are less likely to start trouble.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:22 pm »

yeah, but for escape mode.

you can just buy 500 dudes that are all SUPER INSTIGATORS and fights will start without you even doing anything.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 16, 2015, 04:39:59 pm »

Hmm... dormitories, the auto-search cell policy(for when prisoners commit a wrong) does not work for dorms.  This is pretty dangerous if you are not draconian with finding contraband/tools.... especially for a person like me who loves to scale things up on the macro level. 
I didn't realize that till almost too late... saw that many of them had a need for sleep.  The +100 prisoners were digging and already right under the 2nd(and final) set of perimeter fencing.  Of course, they instantly started rioting when I found the hole.  They were put down, surprisingly without any deaths, but then I was just starting out with lowsec and my armed guards were holed up at the armory and the solitary block.

On the other hand, Holding Cells do get auto-searched now. (I don't remember them getting auto-searched before Update #1.)  Typically, the holding cell searches are triggered at minimum 3 times a day... the amount of contraband that gets in there is ungodly, despite 1 layer of metal detectors.  (Holding Cells do not dig tunnels.)
350-ish prisoners in a 250-ish capacity holding cell.  Totally works.  Not all of em sleep anyways.

Current Dorms: 3 layers of metal detectors into the dorm room, with dogs patrolling the toilets.  So far, it has worked.  No tunnels since.  (Dogs seem to be more of a placebo effect and for smelly contraband as always... for my hands-off playstyle anyways.  Though, the extra help in rotating out into solitary probably does its part.)

Conclusion: Dorms are pretty awesome cause it also fills in the privacy need, despite the tunneling risks.  I probably need to do the math, but I think it is more efficient then a 1x3 type cell block of similar size...  (Though, doesn't hurt to still have a buncha 1x3 cells to bring down the average cell quality... anyways, seems to be one dorm, regardless of size is counted the same as one 1x3 cell.)  [Or if you are cheaty, dot some far off corner with empty 1x1 cells.]

Holding Cells are still the be-all end-all masters of efficient prisoner housing... doubly so with bunk beds.

Other Notes:
I've resigned myself to playing on the small map, since the game slows down significantly in medium-large once I get near 500 prisoners.  It has been a challenge.... fitting stuff in as I'd normally like to.  I've torn down and rebuilt some sections a number of times just to get things right and I need to find a way to fit in two more 250-ish capicity holding cells for medsec and maxsec before I can really let more of them join in. ... though, that number of prisoners may be overkill considering I have dorms with 60-ish capacity each too.
At the least, both the kitchen and canteen are perfect as they are.  300-ish seating capacity canteen(which could actually service probably 400 to 450-ish in a 2 hour slot if you have other need fulfillers to distract, 3 separate eating times of 2 hour slots each, per day) and the kitchen supposedly could feed 500-ish on high/high, so says the PA calculator.

EDIT: Huh, the PA wiki says Dorms don't fulfill privacy need.... but... I'm not seeing a lot of people with high need for privacy in my dorms...  And some of these people are old... but... my luxury solitary cells might actually do it for them...  The rotating solitary doors is the winner?  I give 48 hours for possessing a tool...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:00:58 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 16, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »

Holding cells have scaling problems, mainly in that you cant have multiple of them without things breaking.  I tried to build a holding-cell only prison a few versions back, and ran into lots of trouble as I started to scale it.

Dorms though, wow!  those bunk beds give you some crazy capacity.  I found that the game does not actually allow the full density, and I had to extend my dorm definition into some empty space before it would acknowledge all my beds.  Blew through the requirements for A, B, and C wing grants before the end of day 2.

My current plan is to build out all the central services on a small map, and then expand residential wings through future land expansion.  I should be able to bring in enough in grants to keep me building, until I need to actually accept a volume of prisoners.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 16, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »

Multi Holding Cells really only work when you run a multi security level prison.  Each security level gets their own mega holding cell. 
If say, you only ever bring in maxsec, you can only have 1 holding cell.
If you have maxsec and medsec, you can have 2 holding cells, you'd designate a maxsec only holding cell and a medsec only holding cell.

Dorm calculation: 4 squares = 1 bed/0.5 bunk bed = 1 prisoner
Holding Cell calculation: 2 square = 1 bunk bed = 2.5 - 3 prisoners (Because not all prisoners will sleep every night if you give em a full 6 hour of sleep time in the regime manager... it works out, especially when you scale it up...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:01 pm »

Multi Holding Cells really only work when you run a multi security level prison.  Each security level gets their own mega holding cell. 
If say, you only ever bring in maxsec, you can only have 1 holding cell.

Not sure about now, but that was definitely not true previously.  holding beyond the first were just not used, regardless of designation.

If it works that way now, it might be a great solution.  Though the issue with tunneling in dorms is probably better solved with a guard patrol.

I guess the trick with dorms is to make them do double duty as common room and shower, so you can still pack dense beds without forefitting the capacity.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 16, 2015, 08:22:15 pm »

I have found the flaw with big dorms combined with excessive punishment times for attempting escape.

Found a tunnel in one of the dorms, over 60 guys need to be in solitary for over 100 hours(time added cause of rioting over their tunnel too...).  My capacity is only around 40....  and I have an average of 20-ish in solitary all the time.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 16, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »

oh, thats a good point!  you can fill over capacity.  Will the guys be assigned to the dorm, even if it does not qualify for the capacity?

The only reason you need 'safe' capacity is for grants, i guess.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 16, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »

I have found the flaw with big dorms combined with excessive punishment times for attempting escape.

Found a tunnel in one of the dorms, over 60 guys need to be in solitary for over 100 hours(time added cause of rioting over their tunnel too...).  My capacity is only around 40....  and I have an average of 20-ish in solitary all the time.
Its not like solitary is particularly difficult to fit anywhere, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 16, 2015, 09:53:48 pm »

Its not like solitary is particularly difficult to fit anywhere, though.
My solitary is luxurious and 3x3.  And yea, its mostly just a matter of ordering them to be built, rather then the room.  (I have a huge section marked out just for solitary on the other side of the road.)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 17, 2015, 07:39:04 am »

My solitary is luxurious and 3x3.  And yea, its mostly just a matter of ordering them to be built, rather then the room.  (I have a huge section marked out just for solitary on the other side of the road.)

Luxurious solitary sounds like an oxymoron. The game should impose a penalty on suppression the more luxury items a solitary cell has (or just items period). I mean, social isolation aside, you're heavily rewarding a prisoner for committing offenses.

Just a random thought.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 17, 2015, 08:40:06 am »

There really is no other sane gameplay mechanic way to use long solitary hours though. 
There is no point to solitary punishment when problem prisoners are going to come out angry and looking for a fight.  They'll be back there in no time and the prisoner will eventually end up dead and/or continue being a disruptive little bastard. 
That is a stupid cycle to perpetuate... when you know why the prisoner is acting up, but you continue to do the same thing to encourage it anyways.  At least you don't have to micromanage the fix.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 17, 2015, 09:09:56 am »

There really is no other sane gameplay mechanic way to use long solitary hours though. 
There is no point to solitary punishment when problem prisoners are going to come out angry and looking for a fight.  They'll be back there in no time and the prisoner will eventually end up dead and/or continue being a disruptive little bastard. 
That is a stupid cycle to perpetuate... when you know why the prisoner is acting up, but you continue to do the same thing to encourage it anyways.  At least you don't have to micromanage the fix.

Conceptually, suppression after solitary would be high enough to prevent any misdeeds long enough for the prisoner to satisfy his needs. And then some, perhaps.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 17, 2015, 10:12:32 am »

Except prisoners have traits like stoic/fearless.  I have armed guards patrolling the cells too. 

Seriously though, luxury solitary works for me and my playstyle.  Forever angry prisoners ain't a problem to micromanage... and a +24 hour timeout keeps them out of trouble for that long.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107