Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 180819 times)

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.19)
« Reply #945 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:26 pm »

From the looks of it, it shouldn't mess up the current version, it should technically run without a hitch.
With the new fruits I Have come to realize that most of my plants and plant processes are obsolete, and I need to find time to rework that at least, I have a couple of chill days at work next week that may have to suffice.

So I guess this means you're planning on removing the apple tree building since it's been rendered obsolete by the advent of apple (and other fruit) trees that produce apples (and other fruits) that can be picked in the core game.
Though there still isn’t a way in game to plant your own orchards yet… I think. But that’ll probably come when it comes. (Possibly not for a long time but whatever)
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 08, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »

From patch notes for version 0.40.24:
Stopped certain situations where you could be stuck in the air above certain tiles.
Well, this one is a win for this mod. Hopefully.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Royal Flush

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a horrible fell look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 08, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »

From the looks of it, it shouldn't mess up the current version, it should technically run without a hitch.
With the new fruits I Have come to realize that most of my plants and plant processes are obsolete, and I need to find time to rework that at least, I have a couple of chill days at work next week that may have to suffice.

So I guess this means you're planning on removing the apple tree building since it's been rendered obsolete by the advent of apple (and other fruit) trees that produce apples (and other fruits) that can be picked in the core game.
Though there still isn’t a way in game to plant your own orchards yet… I think. But that’ll probably come when it comes. (Possibly not for a long time but whatever)

Honestly, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to give us apple orchards. Just make raw apples part of the 'build' requirement. Or mod apples themselves to be plantable and have apple 'trees' growing in farm plots. We could still make apple stuff work, it just needs finagled a little bit. You can make the 'trees' take a long time to mature(a year?) and have their yield be really high. ...I'm honestly not sure how much of this can be modded; I know grow time can, but I dunno if yeild can... I'm sure there's a way to make an apple orchard work out with the current modding abilities.

From patch notes for version 0.40.24:
Stopped certain situations where you could be stuck in the air above certain tiles.
Well, this one is a win for this mod. Hopefully.

I saw this and I cheered internally. As a temporary fix to that problem, I've actually clipped the entities' wings by removing the [FLIER] tag, and just gave them their flight speed as move speed. So they're still faster than non-fliers, but they don't get stuck up trees or straight up in mid air. I lost my alicorn weaponsmith because she decided 'midair' was where she should stay until she dehydrated and fell out of the sky. There was no reason for her to even be up there because I'd chopped down all the trees several seasons ago :|
Ponies ponies ponies.

Royal Flush High Res

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 08, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »

Has anyone confirmed that this means that cutting down trees won't leave pegasi stranded in the air anymore?  It certainly looks like that's what Toady meant, but I also remember there being something about buildings being stranded in the air, so I'm not sure if units got fixed too.

I sure hope so.  That's definitely my #1 gripe right now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:25 am »

I think I commented out the apple buildings in the latest version.
With the new fruit and harvesting the system could use a major rewrite, i just don't know when I'll find the time.
Hopefully we'll see less hovering Pegasi with this, it's a shame they still fly-path through trees and leave items in the branches, tho come to think of it, it might be because flying is faster than walking... hmmm that bears testing.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:50 pm »

So I know this might be a bit odd but... Well. I'm trying to cause a tantrum spiral. Small problem. I can't. I know ponies are friendship, love, and harmony... But...

Well when you're hanging out over the corpses of starved companions rotting in the dining hall, and you're in the mason's shop making coffins for all the dead while standing on top the prior mason assigned to the task that is rotting away beneath you... And you're just unhappy, not freaking out. Well, I think some tuning needs done somewhere.

But seriously the mental image of a gloss-eyed unicorn carefully shaving down stone with horn magic while a dead earth pony is draped half-inside a mostly finished coffin.... Only in Dwarf Fortress, man.

I believe even vanilla dwarves are less prone to devolving into tantrum spirals now.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 13, 2015, 03:08:31 pm »

With the new fruit and harvesting the system could use a major rewrite, i just don't know when I'll find the time.

Toady will probably include a way to make orchards in the future so really you probably can just ignore that stuff. Also as I figured out, one could make pseudo orchards by cordoning off an area with a fence (the fence there just to protect my gatherers from any nasty ground based creatures who would want to eat them so it’s optional) with fruit trees  in it and chopping down and/or killing the saplings of any non-fruit tree to allow more space for the fruit bearing ones to grow.  Throw some paths, a building to store the fruit, a still, and BAM! Cider production facility... or I guess you could just have your ponies bake them into pies instead.

Hopefully we'll see less hovering Pegasi with this, it's a shame they still fly-path through trees and leave items in the branches, tho come to think of it, it might be because flying is faster than walking... hmmm that bears testing.

Yah, that does get annoying...  Until Toady fixes flight pathing or something that probably won't go away.  Way to prevent it is to manually remove the "hauling" job from all pegasi to stop them from picking stuff up and loosing them in the trees.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 15, 2015, 12:58:35 am »

Back in the original pony-mod thread, Vandala posted some alternate SPEECH texts for ponies so that bandits & monsters could boast properly about killing them. Shortly thereafter I had a fell mood, claimed a text editor, grabbed his files & expanded them greatly, but then I let them sit for three years instead of posting them. I just dusted them off & did a touch of updating, and they seem to still work in 0.40. I can't trigger them in the arena, but they're happening in adventure mode.

To use them, put these files into data/speech, then patch the various creatures to use these instead of e.g. [SPEECH:dwarf.txt]. I have some gender- and caste-specific speech files, but I haven't tested to see if SPEECH_FEMALE, SPEECH_MALE and CASTE_SPEECH work and the patch here doesn't apply them.

Spoiler: pony.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_buffalo.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_changeling.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_dogs.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_female.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_griffon.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_lion.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_male.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_pegasus.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_royal.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_unicorn.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pony_zebra.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: patch for raws (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:53:10 am by fourpotatoes »

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:48 am »

Are you gonna re add unicorns and maybe some spells?
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:35 am »

All four pony types are already in, there's an infancy of a spell system in the files somewhere, but that will also require a bit of work to fully flesh out. Due to time restraints unfortunately I'm only doing bugfixing in the mod at the moment.
The biggest problem with extensive DF modding is that it's fairly time intensive and it's very easy to break things if you don't concentrate on what you're doing. Result is that currently I just don't have time unfortunately.

Hopefully I'll be able to take some time to fix this stuff properly but as of yet such a time has eluded me, so no promises this time :P

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 17, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »

I wonder if I could make the changelings possible to play as if I somehow got them to use the buildings and skills that the ponys use?

If that would work then I wonder how hard it would be for me to do. I never really did much modding of dwarf fortress before. If it could work then I think I would give it a shoot and see where I end up.

There is something about the changelings that makes me want to play as them, and also being attacked by ponys would be fun too.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 17, 2015, 04:45:14 pm »

If you just want them to use the pony buildings you can just change the [CREATURE:PONY] in Entity_Pony.txt to [CREATURE:PONY_CHANGELING]

The changelings aren't really made for civ mode tho, they only eat meat and bones, only Queens and Breeders can have babbies and only drones have the [male] tag.
Also they lay eggs which I don't think works in civ mode, i think the'll just lay eggs and they never pop. you may want to change that in the Creature_Pony_Changeling.txt file.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 17, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »

Egg laying does work in fort mode.  I've used it before with griffons.  It's a bit finicky, especially since even unmarried females will lay infertile eggs and sit on them forever if they aren't taken to the kitchen, but it does work.

All you need is a married couple and a nest box.  Forbid the eggs and wait.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 17, 2015, 05:11:42 pm »

The only eating meat and bones thing sounds like it could be a new kind of challenge for me to try. I normally would have large farms underground for food.

It's nice to know that the egg laying might work. Right now I'm not quite sure how I would go about changing it myself.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 18, 2015, 02:10:48 am »

I went and set the Entity_Pony.txt to use changeling and set Entity_Pony_CHANGELING.txt to use pony. I think I will now have good  changelings and evil ponys coming to try and seal babys.

I also removed the immobile tag from the breeder changelings so I can move them around. Not sure how I would work with them with them being immobile. They could have been workable if I had some other way of moving them around.

I started my fort and now I will see what happens next.

By the way 6 of my starting 7 were all breeders and the last one was a drone.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:31:18 am by Shadow_Hornet »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81