Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542797 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4935 on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:35 pm »

At the Bargain of Ages...

Niklas, confronted with the subtle, almost sublime horror of the dreaded entrance fee, doesn't lose his head just yet. Or make anyone else lose theirs. After all, it's only money.

"What need we pay?"

The captain sizes him up for a moment, a bit put off by his outlandish appearance.

"I would say... 30 copper coins for passage, or 1 gold and 1 silver if you prefer, 15 copper or 3 silver coins if the destination's exciting."

A metaphorical magical flash orb goes off in Morton's head. Why, he was here an hour ago!

"I believe this is the ship that our fellows were trying to get onto, they may have worked out the price by now, shall we check, chef Niklas?"

"No need!" comes the confident voice of the Artiste from behind him. Looking back, the two undead notice several things. For one, Mark seems to be trying to walk up some imaginary stairs. Kevin seems to be exuding an air of gladness at the easily found mages. Erin's hand is completely wrapped in bandages. Sigmund appears to be hitting the Artiste up for cash, saying it's for bandages and whatnot. The Artiste quickly hands him a gold coin as per his request. Scott looks rather sad and dejected for some reason, though looking at the ship seems to make him feel happy. Finally, the Artiste himself seems to be holding up said box of money.

"We have the money, good sir," he says, withdrawing 13 gold coins and 1 silver coin from the box. "Boarding fee for 11 people, right here."

"Ah, very good. We'll be leaving soon, as we're full up now. I'll take that and go find the navigator, and warn him not to get drunk today. He's a bit of a lout, you see, but still very good. Comes with the territory, I suppose. Anyway, we'll be setting off at dusk. You can get comfortable on the ship if you like, the crew will show you around."

He takes the money and walks down the pier to the waterfront, then turns left, heading deeper inside the town at a relaxed, dignified pace, still puffing that magnificent pipe of his.

"Well, you heard the man. Let's get comfortable! We've got until dusk."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:40 pm »

Scott will be looking for some kind of library or magical workshop aboard. He will of course remind them who is financing the trip if he is stopped for whatever reason.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »

Niklas gladly searches for the ship's galley to begin culinary experiments!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: May 27, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

[...And this is where we learn this is all a horrible scam run by that one guy, as I'm pretty sure it is. Why else would nobody take residence in the ship for several months? No way a ship like that offering prices that low would be at port for so long.]

"Oh dear, what happened to your hand Erin?" Morton asked the bandaged mage with a touch of worry in his voice. Feeling another tug on the shell though, he helps Niklas search the ship, due to still helping hold the giant clam. "Er, I'll be back after I help Chef Niklas with this."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: May 27, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »

Sigmund realized that Erin had her hand fixed, so he thought of another plan:

-Maybe I should acquire a weapon for myself. I'll be back in a moment.

Then go looking for a weapons store.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:55 pm »

get a gold coin and go get fishing gear and everything I need for the soul ritual
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »

Flee.
"Yup. There's definatly something in there. Tried to get in my head."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »

((So. What's going on?))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: May 27, 2013, 11:36:46 pm »

[Currently? The whole gang, except for the the ghost and the guy in the undefined void, are soul-bound to a something who goes by Artiste. Artiste isn't a demon, isn't a god, but is something akin but isn't. Calls himself an accountant, or something like that.

Currently trying to reach Horizon Isle, to get to the Plane of Dreams, so that we can do... Whatever it is that we're suppose to do there. We may be taking a flying ship there, may in that it could be a scam, or could not.

Not much else of note.]

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:59 am »

[And I'm still alive and with the group only person that has been around for more then one chapter  :P]
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:24 am »

At the Bargain of Ages...

The whole group (with the exception of Sigmund and Mark, who, having obtained a gold coin each, go shopping) boards the ship, Scott leading the way and Morton and Niklas following closely behind. Ascending the gangplank, they come upon the main deck of the ship, and it certainly looks rather impressive, if a bit cold and saturated with metal. There appear to be several robed people walking about. Morton, realizing that the fact that the most useful mage of the group seems to have her magic hand bandaged, expresses concern over this fact.

"Oh dear, what happened to your hand, Erin?"

"It was pretty weird, I accidentally animated a knife and it stabbed me straight through the palm! Then it got bandaged and stuff. Now it's all good," she says, waving the ball of bandages that now is her hand. Morton nods, though he feels Niklas pull on the clam rather impatiently. Duty calls, he supposes.

"Er, I'll be back after I help Chef Niklas with this."

"I wonder where the crew quarters are."

As the group converse, some of them preparing to go about their actual business, one of the robed people, a rather peevish-looking woman in a dark red robe of about thirty five years from the looks of it, walks up to them.

"May I ask what you're doing here?"

"May I remind you who is financing this trip, good woman?"

The woman looks a bit intrigued by this remark.

"You may, actually. Do so."

Some of the other undead begin to move to do what they were going to do.

"No, wait. Don't go anywhere just yet. We need to establish some things."

Outside the ship, Sigmund and Mark go on separate shopping trips. Sigmund looks for a weapon shop, but fails to find anything deeper within the town. However, he also manages to successfully avoid getting irrevocably lost! Mark, meanwhile, looks for some fishing gear, but there don't appear to be any stores offering such goods, and neither are there any lying around. With that being a resounding failure, he looks at his contract for the first time, examining the rituals needed.

Okay, so one, addressed to Jolly Vito, requires him to bleed a restrained living being and draw specific sigils with the blood. Uncomplicated, that. The second, addressed to Nicholas Tensworth, requires him to remove a rib from a being and then stab said being in the heart with it, then carve an elaborate rune around the stab wound with a knife. The third is addressed to Yuhan the Warlock, and it involves removing a being's limbs one by one, then throw them into a fire started in the center of a magic circle, ending with throwing the being itself when all the limbs are removed. In each case, the victim must be alive until the ritual's conclusion. So, to put it simply, he needs some manner of restraints, a bad attitude, some surgical implements, presumably, and possibly a bit of chalk for the third ritual. Rope shouldn't be hard to locate, and neither should chalk. Surgical implements... well... better find those, then.

Unfortunately, he can't think of a single place where he might get those. It's not like there's surgeon stores around here.

At the square of Emlocke...

Darren decides that he doesn't need this. At all. He tries to escape!

[Darren will roll: 3]

However, the worming into his skull that was attempted moments ago continues, and he feels a peculiar loss of control at the moment. He tries to move, but then decides not to for now. After all, where's the rush? It's perfectly nice here, you know. Besides, he can yell his news out to the group from here.

"Yup! There's definitely something in there! Tried to get in my head!"

The dog, who appears to be listening to something the whip man's telling it, nods at Darren's instruction, then shakes its head at the whip man.

[Master magic roll: 5+1]

It then barks loudly, catching the building (and Darren, to a lesser degree) in the blast!

[Building stability roll: 3]
[Darren endurance roll: 6]

Darren sort of giggles ticklishly while the building behind him shakes begins to crumble, the facade of it sliding bit by bit into the pit. For some reason, Darren feels better. Like something big has been distracted from his tasty mind-vittles for a bit.

"Flee quickly. Dangerous place," it says to Darren, who happily obliges, coming back to his two allies.

The whip man, upon seeing all this, can't help but try something. It involves twirling a wooden pentacle on his finger, but what it actually is, the others can't rightly say.

"Ghosts howl," the dog states matter-of-factly, looking at Darren. "Try howling. At building."

However, before any more progress can be made, the dog pricks up its ears. The whip man smells the air. Both of them look somewhat bothered by something.

"Something's coming."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:31 am »

Sigmund will look for a smith to fix his knife

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: May 28, 2013, 08:13:29 am »

Sigmund will look for a smith to fix his knife

Your knife is broken, but it also ran away. So technically you have no knife to fix.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:42 am »

((Damn))
Sigmund will look for a kitchen store to look for knives.

((I'll go then for throwing knives))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:38 am »

ask some passers by where a surgeons is by writing with my charcoal
My Sig

Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 719