Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540908 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8295 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »

Scott will try a compromise solution and extend his soul from his corporeal head instead of removing it completely, like a hermit crab, so he will be the reverse form of a headless horseman. A head with a spectral body.

((By the way Harry, if this doesn't work and Scott dies, I want to say this has been fun. It;s been one of my main distractions for a while and you have been an excellent host and I could never thank you enough, given all the time in the universe.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:11:25 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: January 09, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »

"Not that I know."

"What a strange creature. How many have gone through the portal? What happened to them?"

And another turn for Innsmothe. Let's get this show on the road.

Under the sea...

Scott, not feeling like going the full possible distance, tries a half-measure. A compromise. He shall be like the hermit crab, extending a new ectoplasmic body from his head!

[Scott's will roll: 2-1]

Midway through the process, something in Scott's mind tells him it couldn't and shouldn't work this way - but he wants to try anyway. He pushes mentally at his life, loosening it once again. And then the feeling returns.

[Scott's will roll: 2]

This time, his soul does begin to slip away! Question is, has he gone past the point of no return? Does he face a choice of being a ghost or being stone-dead, or is there another alternative?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:08 pm »

The desk is hesitant to outright call this behavior rude, but it most certainly isn't polite. But Morton shall not judged, at least no openly, such is not the butler way. He does sometimes wonder if people from cities recieve schooling in etiquette, graces, or proper politeness however, and this is most certainly one of those times.

Still though, seeing as Kevin and his friend seem to be enthralled in their own conversation, Morton will attempt to continue the one he was carrying before with Art. Albeit at a quieter tone so as to not interrupt the others in the room.

"As you were saying, good mage Art?"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:08 pm »

>Timothy will take the first option for Helping-People-Magic.

((No time for da dialoguesies just now, sorry))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »

Mark bows to his master then goes and takes inventory of the body below deck and gets them ready for the trip

((Everyone list your ideas for what perks you might get

Mark: polearm skill +1
monster maker ; bonus when fighting monsters as you are a bit crazy about using there parts

Morton : tea maker: can make tea that gives a bonus
Desk mimic; can pretend to be a desk and quickly kill anyone who looks through you
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: January 09, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »

[Technically Morton already has an ability to mimic being a desk, a +2 to hiding as a desk as long as the people haven't seen him talking/walking/know before the fact. A rather nice and hefty bonus, although I haven't really used it yet. Haven't had a reason to so far.

One I can give a good guess on is some Tea Apostle skill. 'Course, this assumes he survives to the end of the chapter, you can't talk your way out of deep sea monster attacks. At least, not that I can figure for now. I may think of something later.

Maybe consult a demon for the gift of gab...]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:16 am »

((No idea at all what I'm going to get. Likely some sort of berzerker rage or something. I didn't get an opportunity to cook much after having my body destroyed 3 or more times.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: January 10, 2014, 01:57:46 am »

"I dunno. Quite a few, go ask them."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: January 10, 2014, 02:58:59 am »

Scott will try and stabilise himself as a head before trying to rebuild his form at a later date.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:01:53 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: January 10, 2014, 04:35:14 am »

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, guessing that reality has not crumbled yet, slinks back to the cargo hold, sits down and attempts to psych himself up for some serious focus creation. This time, he thinks he will take this a bit more seriously - he's had good luck with focus creation so far, but he can't let it go to his head. If something goes wrong, he has to be ready to prevent horrible things from happening at all costs. He doesn't know what might happen if he drops the ball big time, and he's pretty sure he wouldn't like to personally find out just yet. The fear fills him in a motivating way, like the way a master of dubious moral integrity tries to inspire his minions of equally dubious loyalty.

Back on deck, meanwhile, Niklas begins to practice his war chanting, being quite idle at the moment.

[Niklas' practice roll: 5]

Despite having a somewhat different vocal apparatus, Niklas finds that he can, in fact, perform the treasured Northerner tradition of the war throat-chant, designed to strike fear into the hearts of man, beast and Northern food alike and build strong relationships between fellow warriors. It gives the deck a very nice ambience. Niklas also finds that he can masterfully impersonate the Northern didgeridoo, an absolute requirement for a proper Northern war chant, even as he sings the main parts. He's like a one-man Northern musical warband in that respect. All in all, he discovers a ton of useful information.

"Wow, dad! I didn't know you could do that! Can you teach me?"

Mark, paying no mind to Niklas' performance, is about to head off down to take inventory of the ship's corpses, but the Artiste stops him on the way.

"Put Niklas down somewhere here, okay? I... kind of like how he's singing."

"Exotic fellow, that chair of yours!"

Seeing no reason not to do such a thing, Mark puts Niklas down according to his master's wishes and walks to the cargo hold, where he finds Sigmund in the middle of something undisclosed, yet probably quite intense. There seem to be... one, two, three - yes, three corpses still available, plus a pile of organs left over from a fourth guy. Mark makes sure to gather them all together, then looks for some kind of pickling solution to keep them in a state of reasonable integrity. Fortunately, he finds a whole barrel filled with salted meat - very old salted meat at that. He gets rid of the choice cuts of ancient pork and sticks the corpses in there instead - at least they won't stink up the place anymore. It took two barrels and a whole lot of cutting up corpses to pack all this stuff, but Mark dares say he's done an admirable job of it. Now he's got two whole barrels of reasonably preserved, mostly intact body parts! Hooray!

In the den of the Second Shank...

Morton is determined not to be offended by the most impolite way he had just been treated, and resumes his conversation with Art.

"As you were saying, good mage Art?" he asks in a quiet tone, and Art responds in much the same way.

"I... what was I saying? I remember thinking that you could ask Evelyn, but she's a bit indisposed... I guess she could write out some advice for you, maybe? She's the metamagic person around here, she's got a better grasp on theory than I do. I think she might know how to use an enchanted object as a template. If I remember it right, she did take a whole bunch of enchanting classes back at uni - she had to, 'cause pure metamagic classes were quite few in number."

Kevin, meanwhile, carries on a conversation of his own on the other side of the room.

"I dunno. Quite a few, go ask them."

"Ah. I get the feeling I'm boring you, Kevin," Lizzie says, tapping her fingers against her lower jaw. The process, Kevin notes, makes no sound at all, despite it being the tapping of metal against metal. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

In the Realm of Love...

Timothy knows that Helping-People-Magic is best when you can give people help without them asking for it first, and thus chooses the first option. His demonic benefactor claps its hands together.

"GREAT! NOW STAND STILL FOR A SECOND."

Not a problem for Timothy, obviously. The demon raises its hands dramatically.

"SHALAKAZAM!"

And with that single word, Timothy is filled with what feels like incredible cosmic power - so it's nothing unexpected, really. Timothy suddenly feels like he's no less than twice as powerful than before! Rather appropriately, the demonic minions around him all emit a simultaneous, harmonious 'ooh!', and the realm itself brightens for a moment before returning to normal.

"THERE WE GO. YOU ARE NOW DEMON-BLESSED! ENJOY YOUR VASTLY IMPROVED... UNLIFE, I SUPPOSE. SO, WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO DROP YOU OFF? THE MORTAL WORLD, RIGHT?"

Under the sea...

Scott, quite sure he doesn't want to die just yet, tries to backpedal into his head once again. He focuses his will, trying to stabilize himself.

[Scott's will support roll: 6]
[Scott's will roll: 1-1+2]

Unfortunately, though, he is definitely slipping out of his body rapidly. He realizes that now, unless he gets extremely lucky, he is likely to die if he doesn't think of something quickly. Going full-on ghost is starting to look more and more viable, actually. Preferable to dying, at any rate.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: January 10, 2014, 06:52:28 am »

Mark heads around the ship taking inventory of whats around on ship and who.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: January 10, 2014, 07:30:10 am »

Do mass focus making. On the sheets of paper.

((Oh, well, it was a pleasure to have you with us here, Innsmothe. We will miss Scott, well, we will miss the fun created by his conflicts))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:28 am »

Time to join the captain in spooky awesomeness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:29 am »

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Mark, having gotten into the proper shipping spirit, tries to take an inventory of all the stuff and people on the ship. After spending about half an hour walking to and fro, opening barrels, examining people and opening crates, he finds out several things - firstly, a lot of barrels and  contain useless crap, and they would require Mark to dig through them all to locate what might be in them. He also finds a barrel of sludge, one and a half barrels of absolutely horrible pseudo-ale (or perhaps wine - it is difficult to tell, and his tree nearly wilts from the aroma), several barrels of near-fossilized apples and lemons, a lot of rope secreted away in the strangest places, a whole bunch of bowls, jars, buckets tankards and more (also put in the darnedest of hiding spots), various foods in the kitchen along with a container of dry ice, a large supply of paper and writing supplies, a crate of spare sailcloth and a few other odds and ends. Oh, and a high quality mop and bucket in the kitchen. Plus the three corpses plus extra organs pickled in two barrels.

As for people, they seem to have everyone - the Artiste, himself, Evelyn, Erin, Art, Justine, Morton, Niklas, Kevin, Sigmund, Tailor Craig, the Captain... Scott's missing. Gods damn it all to hell, how many people will he have to pull back here? Oh, and they also have two guests, Chatty Golden Skeleton Lady and Equally Chatty Painted Dude.

Sigmund, unaware of Mark's highly productive exploits, continues his mass focus creation.

[Sigmund's focus creation rolls: 3+1, 6-1, 2+1, 4+1, 2+1, 6-1, 2+1, 2+1, 5, 5]

He gets ten pages of... varying quality. He would say that five of them came out nicely, one was merely okay, but four others are pretty weak. No immense catastrophes happened, though, so that's good! This is quite tiring, though.

In the deep, spooky depths of the Sea of Pleasant Winds...

Scott, knowing he has but one chance at this, tries to ghostify himself - his knowledge, while hardly complete, should be enough... he hopes.

[Scott's ghostification roll: 6]

As his soul peels out of his head, Scott lets go for a moment, his soul slipping out of his mortal remains and, for a split second, beginning to fly off into the afterlife. Scott is ready, however, and, in a single, mighty effort, asserts his powerful need to be here, in this very spot. Fortunately enough, his soul immediately responds, suddenly becoming very, very still. There it hangs for a bit, Scott wondering if this is it. Did he mess something up? Can he fix it?

Then, in a moment that feels like a longer wait than it really was, it starts. The area around Scott's soul becomes foggy and thick suddenly, forming a sphere of what looks like a milky, blue-greenish fluid. It swirls and moves all around for a bit, reminding Scott of mushroom soup more than a little bit - he supposes it has less bits in it, though, so the similarity is imperfect.

However, before he can consider this further, the fog suddenly implodes on itself, congealing around Scott's soul with great rapidity and not an insignificant amount of light emission. Blinding, painful light emission. For a good minute or so, Scott is in the middle of a dense swirl of what he realizes must be ectoplasm. And with this realization, the swirl stops, assuming a definite shape over the span of a second. And then, just as abruptly as it happened, it is over. Scott can only see the sea around him, rather quiet now. When he looks down, he can also spot a whole bunch of body parts that he knows are his own lying around - including his former place of residence, his fleshy, traumatized head that still manages to look devilishly handsome despite having been vacated of its inimitable occupant.

As he looks down, however, he realizes another thing. Though he is now a ghost, he still seems to have no body. Combined with the fact that Scott can still see his own nose, this leads him to strongly suspect that he is still just a disembodied head, albeit a spectral, floating one. He'd have to get confirmation on that, though. And after that, he could certainly use spectral flames enveloping his head. That is definitely second on the great checklist.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:43 am »

((So, do we have any PCs currently in the party that HAVEN'T undergone some sort of transformation left?))
"You're not boring me, I just don't really know much. I think Morton and Siggy talked to the tailor a lot, though. I just came around and he offered me a trip through the portal... It's certainly better than being a skeleton. Not being able to talk sucks, you know."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 719