Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542635 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - End of Chapter 5
« Reply #8580 on: January 26, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »

((Sorry. Also, why do you make all of these chapter-end traits so amazing? I'll take No Longer Out of Practice.))

This chapter lasted what, half a year? Have to provide something good after that. Besides, it helps offset my killer GM tendencies, which I've already been trying to keep in check.
I have to say that you have done a good job regarding that.
Just poking in to say Tedium Mastery for me. I think that I'm at 1 or 2 spells from being able to average it.

Actually, you'll already be able to average it. That day you spent practicing wind magic wasn't for nothing, after all. I'll roll for the last five in short order.
Woo! Now that I have time, I feel the need to assault you with a lot of questions, sorry if this is tedious:

-Which roll is taken into account? The natural one, or the modified one?
-If I decide to cast the spell the conventional way, then it is averaged instead of the one that was in the 5th place, right? Does this happen even with those spells casted using this ability?
-The average number needs to reach the roll, or, say, a 3.8 is still a 3?

I will resume normal play in some days, but I think that I can still do some actions, but probably not much roleplay.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:59 am »

-Which roll is taken into account? The natural one, or the modified one?

The natural one. After all, the idea of the trait is the mindless repetition of a certain task.

-If I decide to cast the spell the conventional way, then it is averaged instead of the one that was in the 5th place, right? Does this happen even with those spells casted using this ability?

If you cast a spell without utilizing the ability, it edges out the casting that was furthest in the past.

-The average number needs to reach the roll, or, say, a 3.8 is still a 3?

The result is rounded according to standard practices - a 3.5, for instance will be a 4. Speaking of, here are your current averages for each of the foci you have:

"Cause breeze to flow in the direction the user is thinking of. Funnel air into the point the user is thinking of. Stop air flow in the area the user is thinking of. Make wind flow at a constant rate determined by the user in the direction the user is thinking of. Repel air from the point the user is thinking of." - 4

"Make wind flow at a constant rate determined by the user in the direction the user is thinking of." - 4

"Stop air flow in the area the user is thinking of." - 5

"Funnel air into the point the user is thinking of." - 3

"Repel air from the point the user is thinking of." - 3

"Concentrate air in front of the user's right index finger, then blast it away in the direction the finger is pointing at." - 4

Unless you start keeping notes from here on in, you don't get to find out what the data this was gathered from actually is due to reasons of, surprise, the information being lost in the tedium.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:27 am »

((Oooh, tough choices here between the first two options. I'm not going to take Honestly Helpful because, well, people's bad reactions to Timothy's attempts at helping them are far too entertaining. :P
May I ask just what my compelling voice does already, or is that information purposefully hidden?
If the latter, that's fine. I think I'll take Plane Shift- countless situations where that could come in handy. Although I guess it could horribly backfire, too- but I can't exactly telefrag myself as a ghost now, can I?))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:13 am »

((May I ask just what my compelling voice does already, or is that information purposefully hidden?))

When you tell somebody to do something or believe something, they must make a Will roll to resist if they don't want to comply.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »

Timothy Amscray learned: Plane Shift!

Timothy glumly wondered just what to do. Didn't seem like there'd be any fooling these people, and they kept a pretty close eye on their food. He considered going and asking for food at that big spooky black tower, but not very enthusiastically.
A thought occurred to him, however: with all these recent world-bending, magic-portal-y adventures he'd been having... why not ask one of those weird Other places for food? Surely he could just head to one of those and there'd be all sorts of wonderful food, ripe for the taking!
Timothy wasn't exactly sure how this stuff worked, though. After a few moments of feverish consideration, he decided to just picture one of his favourite foods in his mind's eye, concentrate very hard, and hope for the best.

>Plane-shift to the Plane of Pie!

((...I really hope this doesn't go badly.))
((Edit: Just a typo.))
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:43:51 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: January 27, 2014, 05:35:29 pm »

"Thank you for considering."
Go back into the more concentrated areas of the catacombs.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:57 pm »

((Those were really good rolls! Now I still have to average two spells into proper fours or fives, as they are going to be my main offensive spells (repel air from somebody's lungs? Yes, please!)))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #8587 on: January 28, 2014, 06:18:20 am »

Chapter 6
Enjoying the Gub Life?

In the Free City of Gub...

Mere subjective moments after the sudden onset of unexpected unconsciousness, the undead cohorts of the Artiste begin to slowly awaken, their minds filled with very good questions like, for example, 'what's going on?', 'where am I?' and 'why does this always happen to me?'. However, these are questions they cannot immediately find answers for, partly because some of them are entirely rhetorical, but also because it hurts to think right now.

Mark, for one, awakens in what he recognizes to be a mortuary of some sort - the place is filled with partially melted, mutilated, burned, dismembered and otherwise grievously harmed corpses. Though most of them are human, some also appear to be, unusually enough, distinctly anthropomorphic human-sized rats, though in some cases it's hard to identify what some of the remains might actually be, given their rather sorry state. Most of them are placed into piles, with signs placed near them indicating that some organization may be in order, while others are placed into specific alcoves in the walls. Besides the vast quantities of fleshy material, Mark also notices several unoccupied stone slabs with various shiny surgical tools placed on them. Looks like this place might be open for business.

~welcome to workshop duty, city beautification officer! congratulations on your promotion! now, pretty sculptures to please the eyes of silly humans are needed!~ a now-familiar voice rings out in his head.

Elsewhere, the disembodied ethereal head known as Scott also slowly wakes from a slumber that did not feel all that long. He does appear to have been a little displaced, though. He seems to be at the top of a lighthouse, judging by the rather sizable empty brazier he appears to be floating over.

~enjoy your promotion, ship guide! your job is to be here and keep the beaches shipwreck-free!~

Judging by the way the shore, which he can see from here, seems to have quite a few shipwrecks on it already, Scott wonders who his predecessor might have been, and how he wasn't fired sooner.

Kevin regains consciousness in a tavern - a quite dilapidated and partially singed tavern, but a tavern nonetheless. He appears to be the only one here. Also, he doesn't see any booze - all of it seems to have been either drunk or stolen.

~you are the new jolly, enjoyable ambiance officer! your performance will be judged based on increase in business and subsequent, unavoidable immigration! at least it should. remind us if we forget!~

Morton awakens in an office of some kind - it looks to have belonged to a magistrate of some kind, although somebody evidently left it in quite a hurry. There are also quite a few signs of fire damage in it, with the heavily damaged drapes and the ashes lying on blackened spots on the wooden floor.

~beverage consultant! there are matters that require your attention! we think, at least! let us check right quick... yes. we think there are indeed matters that require your attention.~

Sigmund, though, finds himself in the strangest place of all - tied to a robust metal pole of some kind at the top of the town's central, tallest tower - the sun shining down on him feels incredibly unpleasant, and he can't say he's a big fan of being thirty one stories up from the ground, no matter how well-secured he is - and he looks to be rather well-secured indeed. With chains, in fact.

~airmaster! lovely view, yes? perfect for your job, we think. speaking of, you are now airmaster. very fun job. must keep the weather clear and the air nice or face severe consequences, like freezing solid or being struck by lightning. keep watch on clouds, don't trust them!~

All in all, a great way to start their day.

Under the sea...

Niklas, not one to say no to an opportunity for nautical plunder, goes over to explore the ship. A quick look at the thing, though, gives him a strange feeling. For one, there's no loot he can see. Secondly, the whole thing looks a bit wrong to him, not at all conceivably like a ship that might have sunk - Niklas knows what those look like from experience, after all. Though the hull is cracked, it doesn't look natural at all. Once he looks through the crack, though, he notices that the ship appears to be entirely hollow, lacking anything inside it apart from a rather strange-looking ornate metal capsule about the size of a small house. It's difficult to make out what exactly the ornaments on it might be, it being the bottom of the sea and all.

One thing's for sure, though - it's probably not supposed to be here.

In Blynn...

Since the town of Blynn appears to be lacking in food, or at least food that anyone would want or be ready to give, Timothy has a great idea. It involves pie and interdimensional travel, like all good ideas - the latter, which he thinks he should be able to do with the knowledge he's obtained so far, will provide the former! Time to head over to the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Pie, which Timothy is pretty sure might exist somewhere.

Despite the potential concern that the Plane of Pie may be a place he might not want to return from after having seen its glory, Timothy tries to slip off the mortal world for a quick trip to the plane he dearly wishes actually exists. He quickly shuffles off the world, and soon finds himself... elsewhere. Looks like a land of rhombuses and spheres to him. No pie in sight. What now?

At the Tomb of Everything...

Darren thanks the girl for considering pet adoption in the near future, and heads back down into the city of ghosts, passing by Karina on the way. He wonders where to find a more dense concentration of ghosts - there's several alternatives. The outskirts have few ghosts - Karina and Danielle, plus maybe some others, the outer city probably has more, but they're mostly hiding, the engineers' quarter has two he knows of, but both of them are crazy, though in different ways, plus a whole bunch of seemingly intelligent constructs, while the engineer tombs, his ultimate destination, presumably have a bunch of them, but he hasn't been there yet, so he can't vouch for the safety of going there right now.

All in all, lots of options for dear old Darren. But which will be densest?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:20:19 am by Harry Baldman »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: January 28, 2014, 07:59:29 am »

Mark takes stock of what he has to work with then looking over the lovely tools gets to work he starts making statues out of the meat around
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:23 am »

((And I thought being nice to the Artiste would result in a comfortable position. Hmpf.))
((Everything suggests that this town is completely deserted apart from us. Sigmund is the only one in a position to find out, though.))
"This better be some very elaborate joke... You don't have to rub it in, you know. It's not very funny either way..."
Look outside.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: January 28, 2014, 12:31:30 pm »

((Hehehe.))

Poke the capsule. Is it openable? Do I see a clapse or any such thing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »

[Oh hey, Niklas found Captain's old ship. The color and stuff here strikes me as familiar for some reason. The voice Morton heard when he listened really hard? Nope.]

~Beverage consultant?~

To say Morton was confused was a touch of an understatement. Distressed might actually be a bit of a better qualifier, really, but the butler wouldn't consider himself so crass as to say such forthwith. The desk takes a moment to compose himself, trying to recall what he knew of Mothdale and take stock of the situation.

Let's see... Uh. It... Had... Beautiful sunsets over its deserts? Wait no, no, the nice-but-self-disparaging ship told him it didn't have deserts. And that the ship was from there, right? And didn't that priest on the street tell him about some demon being banished or destroyed or something here? He's not sure if either of those tidbits are helpful though. Well, at least he won't have to take care to avoid sand abrasion.

The desk takes a closer look at his surroundings, along with seeing if anything of his was missing. He makes sure to avoid any floors that creak or crack, a fire might of harmed the structural stability of the place and he has no idea what floor he's on. Even when he had a human body, Morton wasn't that great at getting out of holes, no need to try to see if he fares any better.

Just at a quick glance though the place looks absolutely dreadful, but maybe a bit of work could make it spick and span again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:05:29 pm by Xanmyral »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »

((This'll go well. If I survive I'll be a pirate!))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: January 28, 2014, 12:50:18 pm »

[Wonder if the guy in there's still kicking, honestly. Poor mage must of been in there for, well, who knows how long. I think? I should refresh myself on his story about it. Portions of it may be crazy talk though.]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:02 pm »

"No, no, no! Dat's not right!"
Timothy grimaced at the boring looking vista before him, then went back to concentrating. He hunched his spectral shoulders, gritted his ghostly teeth, and squinted his eyes shut- not that that made much difference, seeing as he's transparent- and then began to emit a vague humming sound. He thought it might help.
Hey, when your learning process for inter-dimensional travel is so very trial-and-error, you experiment, okay! Sheesh.

>Try again! To the plane of pie! Or at the very least delicious baked goods and/or chocolate.

((I've realised that I've never really been sure what Timothy looks like, as a ghost in this setting. I've always pictured him as, well, a transparent floating human, translucently coloured the same as his dialogue. Spooky ethereal mist trail optional. ...Also I've just realised that I've neglected to get him a hat from someplace. Next stop after the plane of Pie shall have to be the plane of Adorable Spherical Bowler Hats.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 719