Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542672 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10335 on: February 07, 2015, 05:01:02 pm »

Scott will pray.
''Oh, almighty gub! Hear this sinners prayer! I believe I am about to die and require your aid, for the sake of my master and the Divine PlanTM please save me!''

If no immediate[2-3 minutes] response, he will attempt to do the trick his tutor taught him and phase though the artefact.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47:19 pm »

In the kitchen of Castle Fenton...

Niklas tells the King to cool his britches for a moment - there's cooking to be done here first. Not the edible sort of cooking, though. More of a wedding cake project, with a dash of homuncular science and vegetable anatomy. Indeed, his project is to turn this perfectly dead human being and the perfectly alive fungus it hosts into something much nicer instead. It takes him but a moment to form a coherent shape in his mind - a humanfungus and liver replica potato is what he wants. Now, how shall he achieve this?

["Medicine" roll: 6+1]

First, he rolls up the freshly dead chef into a careful fetal position, and holds him that way for a good minute or so before the knitting of the hyphae proves enough to hold it fast. This leaves the resulting potato approximation in the rough spatial neighborhood, though the little creases and lumps, like the armpits or the knees, are certainly no good whatsoever. So Niklas grabs some of the available goose livers and quickly fashions some putty out of them to fill in some of the more terrible unevenness, and ascribing the rest simply to non-traditional tuber shapes. The humanfungus is glad to oblige many of these structural requests, it seems, and though of questionable intelligence overall, seems to be cooperative and malleable enough.

Now then, with the potato shape being done, Niklas is struck by a terribly strange feeling, where for a moment he isn't entirely sure whether potatoes are supposed to have brains or not. This is cause for concern for but a moment, as the default answer is always the one Niklas has liked best - even if they are not, true Northern ones certainly are, and he will have it no other way. So he goes ahead and fashions what he believes to be an appropriate brain out of available supplies of untouched, perfectly good food and non-perishable materials. It looks like a brain, he thinks, which probably should be good enough for a potato anyway, since it's known to be a job that's less than taxing on the mental faculties. He sticks it into the potato, trusting that the thing will know best where its brain should be and how it needs to be wired up, similarly to the large degree of agency in their own neurosurgery that his countrymen generally espouse.

And so, in a process that's somehow both less and more involved than one would expect, the humanfungus and liver replica potato with authentic potato organs (potatoes that Niklas hypothesizes might be organs of some sort if properly applied) is complete, writhing in a lively fashion and seemingly burning with desire to be planted so that it may create more giant tubers soon. It seems to be growing little roots, even! How cute! Now, if only Niklas could teach the thing that uniform expansion of its mycelium in every direction is not the potato way as a general rule, he may in fact be golden.

In the unhallowed presence of Mr. T...

Mark, not liking Mr. T's insistence on stressing the importance of Morton like some form of posthuman exclamation mark, tries to express his confusion more clearly, which for the moment seems strangely paradoxical.

The awful amount of confusion that trying to understand the implications of intentionally clarifying one's confusion in no uncertain terms seems to resonate with Mr. T., who promptly dematerializes and rematerializes above Mark, his feet a scant few centimeters away from the top of his head. Glad at being the most important one once more, he motions for the rest of the crew to get him some writing implements before taking note of the fact that he's the only one who carries writing implements around in the first place and that he seems to have plenty already on his person. Nevertheless, feels good to ask imperiously about these things, you know.

Morton, meanwhile, tries a different tack, suspecting telepathy to be at work.

~Salutations, good sir! Can you hear me?~ he mentally wonders, but Mr. T appears to be fascinated with Mark too much for the moment. Feeling a little left out, Morton forms two arms out of his surface and performs a little ritual, pointing his palms and the ground and slowly pushing them down. It seems to work reasonably well, at least in the symbolic way. The calm collectedness of Morton's mind seems to seep into Mr. T as well, as he appears to be almost still now, or at least vibrating too quickly to be seen by the naked eye.

Feeling grand about this fascinating discovery, Morton is about to politely share his insights, but the universe feels compelled to intervene. This manifests as a slight movement on Morton's port, a little reflexive fidget just as insight hits him, where one part of his body - one of the corners of his desk surface, in fact - goes one way, embedding itself into the wall of a stone manor across the street, while his desk leg, theoretically corresponding to that same corner, disappears into the sky. Both, peculiarly enough, remain attached to his body and don't seem to hurt at all.

[Morton's will roll: 3]

It still fails to hurt when he experimentally moves but a smidgen, which causes a long black triangle of Morton's stretched demonflesh to form a neat perspective effect in the distance as seemingly more parts are pulled in the same unusual directions.

"I... think it might be best to consider quickly leaving," Wilma says, having had quite enough of the strangeness. Mr. T starts to vibrate more noticeably. "Never looking back, that also seems like a wise plan."

In the local inn of Rugish...

Kevin, intrigued by bridgebreakers and lynch mobs, tries to figure out where this discussion in the inn is going - his first impression is "nowhere", as there's too much speculation about beavers for the immediate course of the group mind to produce much of use. It does, however, quickly progress into a much more practical plan of action proposed by the man on the counter, apparently a priest of Narcillicus by the name of Dan. This plan entails looking for suspicious new people or nervous familiar people in town (on the basis that the townsfolk already know the witch on the hill is evil, and that the Black Circle is even more evil, and the latter will no doubt exterminate the village if it tries anything against the former, and also that the witch on the hill probably has few reasons to mess with these villagers aside from the abductions here and there), grilling them for what they know and then probably figuring out they're behind all this once enough grilling has been done.

Sleuthing isn't difficult if the whole village is in on it, the priest states. The goal is to find the odd ones out, then figure out their angle, then think of a suitably painful punishment for them, clearly. Now, who could possibly be a good candidate for this sort of investigation, the crowd wonders? As they do so, Kevin is relieved that this doesn't seem to have been a rhetorical question and nobody seems to be giving him any sinister looks just yet.

In the wilderness outside Eckledun...

Sigmund, unsure of how his pebble of magic might actually work, considers its structure carefully. After all, if he doesn't remember anything, who's to say he hasn't made it into something completely ridiculous again? It's hard being his own quality control, he grumblingly decides. Giving the thing a cursory inspection, he realizes that it should probably work perfectly well, and that it's a bit silly to assume he'll have some special insight about its structural flaws the very minute after he made it (which he did in under two minutes).

Having regained confidence, he strives to prepare a sphere of stone for his flesh to inhabit.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 4]

It is almost immediately that he realizes that his stone shaping abilities don't appear to extend very far or very wide. Namely, not enough to reach much of actual stone, though the nearby pillar of stone he managed to form seems to work well enough as a source of material.

Secondly, the control is definitely not the finest that Sigmund's experienced, and the closest he can manage to a stone sphere is best described as a jar, if jars had no hollow space inside them. Hm.

Across a magical sheet deep beneath the earth...

Scott, having run out of options of his own, tries to invoke the gub to help him out in this dire time of need.

"Oh, almighty gub! Hear this sinner's prayer! I believe I am about to die and require your aid, for the sake of my master and the Divine PlanTM please save me!" he says, specifically enunciating the TM for unknown reasons. This appears to not matter, as the gub do not seem to hear him at all, or at least make no indication of having done so at all. Hm. Time for drastic measures, he thinks as he tries to phase through the magical wall - this, just as predictably, shows no signs of success, either, considering that enchanted objects react with ectoplasm as if it were tangible, if Scott remembers his undead trivia right.

Hm. That's two perfectly good plans proven untenable in three minutes. Scott has stepped up his methodology's efficiency in terms of plan output, it seems.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: February 07, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »

((Wow, this is updating fast))

Hmmm, a weak focus... better try to do that while being nearer, maybe the range of the focus is lower and thus Sigmund needs to be closer to its target.

carry focus peeble near the stone jar, magically make it hollow, but leave a thick wall to protect the future contents.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: February 07, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

Hm. He must say, this is odd and possibly inconvenient. "Please remain calm, good mage Wilma. Our friend here responds to emotion, if one is calm, he is calm. I agree all the same, lingering is perhaps not in our best interest." The desk explains, keeping his calm he had just prior gained. He wasn't even sure what was going on anymore, but he'd be a shame to butlers everywhere if he'd let it crack his newfound calm.

Morton tries to coalesce his rebellious body together and moves with Wilma out of here.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »

nodding at Morton Mark carmly walks away from the gravity hole
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: February 07, 2015, 10:33:05 pm »

Excellent! Put Påt the Potato on a baking tray or something and then carry him over to wherever the king guy was.
Baby talk to Påt on the way there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: February 08, 2015, 03:06:14 am »

[Time to play risky.]
Scott will attempt to heat the artefact to break the apparent magnetism that has him caught.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: February 08, 2015, 03:37:16 am »

Nonchalantly walk out and look for a particularily witched-looking hill.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: February 08, 2015, 06:28:54 am »

In the wilderness near Eckledun...

Sigmund, grabbing the enchanted pebble in his unwieldy badger claws, tries to get closer to the stone jar to make it into a proper phylactery yet.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 6]

With a powerful push of presence, he easily manages to hollow out the jar, creating a space within it that could certainly host his insides if needed. The resulting phylactery is about a third of a meter in diameter, so it's a bit too large for a badger to lug around, but Sigmund suspects that this isn't a problem that couldn't be solved by throwing more magic at it. In fact, is there a problem that can't be solved by throwing more magic at it?

In the increasingly illogical environs of Eckledun...

Morton, despite his parts going places without his permission, keeps his cool and advises Wilma to do the same.

"Please remain calm, good mage Wilma. Our friend here responds to emotion, if one is calm, he is calm. I agree all the same, lingering is perhaps not in our best interest."

"I... agree, I suppose?" she says, distrustfully looking over Mr. T, who makes no visible response. Mark also appears to be on board with all this, deciding to walk away from Morton's current location in case the clearly dangerous gravitational anomalies affect him, too. With that matter all settled, Morton focuses on trying to get his own body together.

[Morton's contortion roll: 1]

He tries to draw one of his corners back, and it turns jagged and strange, waggling around in the air as it indecisively moves through a wall. Drawing back the leg results in his entire left side disappearing into the ground, then reappearing in the distance as an infinitely tall monolith pointing at the sky, with the two desk legs rotating like massive propellers - a thing Morton can't quite see, but perceives nevertheless. He appears to be well and truly stuck.

"Uh oh. That doesn't look good."

In the kitchen of Castle Fenton...

Niklas decides that his newest creation Påt is definitely required in a discussion with the sovereign ruler of a state, and looks for a baking tray to carry him on. Fortunately, there is a pretty big one available, so Niklas just rolls Påt onto it and tries to lift the man-sized false potato for easy carrying.

[Niklas' strength roll: 1]

It takes him a few moments to realize that there is no way that he could possibly lift a chef that must have weighed at least 120 kilos in life when he himself currently weighs about 80 or so at most. And Påt doesn't look very ambulatory, to be perfectly honest. More like the sort of thing that'd best be buried underground and left alone for the foreseeable future.

Across an underground sheetlike artifact...

Scott, having gotten into quite the sticky wicket, considers the possibility of somehow damaging or destroying this magical artifact that appears to be keeping him in place. The first and most obvious solution is to try and heat it up, which he thinks the ability to set fires should nicely translate to.

[Scott's firestarting roll: 5]

At his calling, the flat surface beneath him heats up. It begins to undulate and warble as it does so, the temperature rising for a moment before becoming steady. However, the sheet appears to be undulating faster and faster with every passing moment. Scott begins to suspect that this process may not be, strictly speaking, a safe thing to be in the immediate vicinity of. In addition, he feels quite a bit more free than he used to, which is an additional plus.

In a Rugish inn...

Kevin is interested by this mention of witches on hills, and so wanders out of the inn to look about for something of that nature.

Fortunately, a witched hill is very simple to spot from here or, indeed, anywhere in town. It's that hill with a dilapidated-looking house on top of it, seemingly abandoned to the ages, emanating an almost palpable aura of foreboding, surrounded by gnarled, old, yet still very lively trees. In other words, that house Ms. Klemm put him in when she teleported him here. What a strange coincidence! Maybe he should relate this to the local authorities. Surely they could help him get to the bottom of this.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:31:21 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: February 08, 2015, 07:00:43 am »

((I'm glad you are find new enthusiasm in this game, Harry))

Practice levitating the jar and moving it around smoothly.

((Yes, I'm aiming to use Tedium Mastery with this, just because I do not want the RNG to screw with me each time I want to move.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: February 08, 2015, 07:08:26 am »

Losing enthusiasm in a game is, I find, a self-fulfilling cycle:

1) You feel like there's not enough progress.
2) You lose enthusiasm.
3) You update less frequently.
4) Even less progress is made.
5) Go to step one, repeat until game death.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:24 am »

Scott will continually try to move away during heating process.

[*Blinks*
I had metapower? ]
the power of knowing what could happen next through studying of wording and experience from other games

[[FYI, Harry's interpretation of my character being semi-nobility and coupling with a mage allowed me the freedom to transcribe some of my own academic learning and genre savviness in-character though the assumption of having an extensive library. I ain't a munchkin. :P]]

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: February 08, 2015, 07:55:47 am »

Mark seeing his friend being torn apart and being unable to help him turns to the hovering man and uses the power of the dance to ask him for help

(Incase anyone hasnt noticed Mark cares deeply about his friends he is just so screwed in the head from his death and unlife that it is shown weirdly.)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:01 am »

Losing enthusiasm in a game is, I find, a self-fulfilling cycle:

1) You feel like there's not enough progress.
2) You lose enthusiasm.
3) You update less frequently.
4) Even less progress is made.
5) Go to step one, repeat until game death.

True, but the elements that allow to break the cycle (that I have found) are outbursts of creativity, which encourage the GM to write more, even without progress.
Also, the time that one has spent in a game also helps to deter death. Nobody wants his effort to go to waste (unless the actual goal of creating the game was not running it, but creating the universe and/or the story, which seems to be the case for many short-lived forum games that are very well thought)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: February 08, 2015, 12:53:02 pm »

Say king guy, are you physically strong? I have a potato thing I need to lift so I can come over to you but this body's too scrawny.
Hmm. Maybe I can change that, now that I think about it...

This fungus-manipulating thing can't be too hard, right? Try to make it make this body stronger and more manly!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 719