Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542974 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10470 on: March 16, 2015, 04:09:25 am »

Oh. Does it usually take this long? Am I lucky? Unappetizing? Both?

Look around for incoming wrath. If there is none, check what time it is.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »

Bump?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:35 pm »

Outside the ruins of Eckledun...

Sigmund has a quick solution for this particular problem. He just needs to throw away the pebble! Going straight for it, he attempts to hurl it away with his unwieldy badger claws.

[Grip roll: 6]

Spinning around on his two badger legs, Sigmund throws the pebble far away toward Eckledun, far enough for it to disappear from sight entirely. Granted, it is a pretty small pebble. He feels better already, he finds!

[Will roll: 5-1]

Or at least he does after his badger body chunders profusely for a few moments. He seems to have no stomach for near-death experiences.

On a path leading into a deep forest...

Kevin, armed with an axe and a million stories of woodland horror, heads into the half-tamed wilderness. The forest is overwhelmingly oak, with low crowns and plentiful shadows and abundant vegetation encroaching on the road from both sides, increasingly so as he goes on, until it becomes hard to tell the road apart from any other bit of the forest. The path goes on, twisting and turning with no rhyme or reason, its maker obviously either drunk or unnecessarily sensitive to leylines. These two qualities tend to overlap in a person, of course.

Hours later, Kevin's legs feel rather tired, and the insects of the forest seem more intent than ever to impede his progress. There is, however, a figure he can see approaching from the distance lazily on horseback. Humanoid, clearly. Perhaps even human. Cowled, clearly, and robed as well. The horse, for its part, looks unusually pale in shade.

In the bloody woods...

In a fit of good judgment, Scott ascends upward, ever upward, about half a klick or so up, to get a good look at the surroundings. And hey, would you look at that - there's Eckledun! Pretty far off, all things considered. Maybe he should let people come to him instead. And what better way to do that than to light a signal fire?

[Firestarting roll: 2]

Scott has an epiphany as his sheetlike shape billows about, trying to get a specific tree about half a kilometer down to combust - maybe it would indeed be easier to just float off to Eckledun. Or at least try going a little lower before trying it again. There's always the possibility of finding a less damp forest to ignite as well.

Near an inevitable alleyway...

After a brief check of faculties, the team of Morton, Mark and Wilma proceed onward, heading into the alleyway. A brief walk that is nevertheless of undetermined length, possibly about an hour, perhaps two, perhaps even longer - time begins to bleed away after a short while - takes them to what feels definitively like the second third of their entire path.

"Did anybody just feel like we've gone two thirds of the way through the alley?" asks Wilma, audibly spooked. The alleyway's sides have grown taller, its windows rarer and barred, and its sounds entirely, eerily quiet.

In the plains of far, far away...

Darren looks around to see if there's any indication of him being smote, smitten, smited or smit, and is forced to conclude that there are no obvious ones. Maybe the god of death is merely disappointed rather than outraged? Maybe Darren's not about to be killed gruesomely after all? Seems too good to be true, really. Darren closes his eyes and presents his craven soul to the skies. Smiting fails to follow. Hm.

He checks the position of the sun right quick, and notes that it's completely absent from the sky right now, what with it being nighttime. Wait! Maybe Velusius can't see him in this dark, and that's why he's not dead yet? Could be the case, you never know. Can't see the moon either. Maybe it's right before dawn?

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: March 20, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »

((You know, a robed humanoid on a pale horse rings some bells when you're reading a Discworld novel :P))
Kevin waits for the horsehumanoid to come closer.
"Hey, there's nothing this way! The bridge has collapsed!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »

((I know that feel, HB. I know that feel far too well.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:45 pm »

Since the Blasphemous woods will not receive his holy flame, Scott shall travel upon the natural thermals in majestic style to Eckledon.

Upon his Arrival he will proclaim.

''Doo-Dabee-Da, Da Da, DA-DA-DA!* I have defeated a monstrous magical field that was attracting and trapping ethereal creatures with an unthinkable amount of force! Now... Where my money and axed peas?!''

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:54:11 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: March 20, 2015, 08:32:20 pm »

Mark nods to Wilma and keeps goings down the path watching for anything that further raises the creepiness factor.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: March 20, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »

((Well, I'm out of ideas about what to do. I feel like I need to fix this pink mayhem, because it could probably be my fault, but I don't know what to do))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: March 21, 2015, 05:37:30 am »

((From all we've seen of the pink, it's basically unstoppable and highly contagious.))

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: March 21, 2015, 10:38:00 am »

((But I want to stop it, somehow. I wonder if that peeble that almost killed me would help fighting that. Hmm.))

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »

((How did kevin become a woman?))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: March 22, 2015, 05:00:57 pm »

Well, before deciding over anything, try to determine (from a distance, of course) the area where that peeble fell. If it did so near the Pink, see if it contributing to stop it or not.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: March 23, 2015, 01:13:03 am »

"Hmm... Yes, same here good mage Wilma. Most strange. I could try floating above to see how much longer we have, if wished." The tea apostle offered, although truthfully with how high the sides have risen he's unsure if he could indeed float that high. This whole situation was quite odd, and set the man ill at ease.

Query, attempt if agreed upon, if not, continue along with the others. If they find another window, try to peer through it, or pull a plank from it to peer into it if possible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: March 25, 2015, 02:22:08 pm »

On the road to somewhere...

Kevin, perhaps overly enthusiastic about meeting somebody on this frankly sinister road, waves at the approaching figure.

"Hey, there's nothing this way! The bridge has collapsed!" he shouts from afar. The rider looks his way, but keeps on coming closer, so Kevin freely assumes that he hasn't been heard correctly, and waves again, shouting roughly the same thing. This time, though, the figure does not even raise its head. Within a few minutes, the rider comes within about ten or so meters, and finally looks at Kevin again. It's a wizened, shrunken old woman, and, looking at her face, it suddenly occurs to him that not all of the lines are wrinkles. A significant proportion of them are scars, in fact, and one or two defy any sort of explanation whatsoever. She tilts her head as she examines Kevin.

"Hey, there's nothing this way. The bridge has collapsed," he says weakly. His skeleton creaks at the jaundiced, dark-eyed gaze of the woman. The horse's gaze, though much clearer, is also accompanied by bared teeth that are a very familiar shade of yellow.

"That's where you're wrong, friend!" the rider says, her voice shrill, the last word coming out critically wrong, as if only half-memorized phonetically. "You're here! So why don't we talk business?"

The woman laboriously dismounts from the horse, showing her apparent age very definitively. She digs around in her saddlebag and produces an ancient-looking leather scroll. Her pudgy, spotted hand holds it out for him to see and perhaps grab at.

"Do you want to see the extremes of the universe? Heights and depravities both? Do you want to know? Do you want the Mantra? I know you do! Take a look!"

She pokes the scroll impatiently in Kevin's direction.

Up in the sky, where no birds dare fly...

Like a pyrokinetic airborne manta ray Scott descends upon Eckledun, prepared for a hero's welcome, though he finds himself becoming increasingly unsure of getting any such thing as Eckledun, upon closer and closer inspections, appears to look quite different than he remembers it. There's pink spikes poking out of it. There's no people. Something's burning. Distant screaming that cuts out suddenly.

Probably nothing, of course, but it does make one a little leery. The streets seem empty, too. And some of the buildings are twitching, twisting.

And finally, there's a badger looking soulfully at the city from a distance. Next to it is a sphere of stone, which looks like an odd combination. It pauses in its observation and starts to snuffle around a little, seemingly examining the area in front of it. It is greatly startled by Scott's sudden proclamation.

In an overly long alley...

A strange feeling is suspicious. A simultaneous strange feeling for three different people is adequate grounds to suspect enemy action.

Mark takes the lead, and explores a little further while the others stay put, traveling about 100 meters down the path, at which point it occurs to him that he's about halfway to the end of the alley.

Morton, however, tries a different tack.

"Hmm... Yes, same here good mage Wilma. Most strange. I could try floating above to see how much longer we have, if wished," he offers, and Wilma shrugs in response.

"I don't see why not, surely?" she says, and moves to examine a nearby wall. Taking this as approval, Morton ascends slowly, past a single barred window, then another, and then past another that, he notices, seems to not be a window at all - merely a painted-on ornament that nevertheless looks exactly like the ones below from a certain perspective. And above that is the roof.

Above the roof, though, there is nothing. Absolutely nothing at all, just a narrow band of blue skies above. The buildings are not buildings - they seem to be fences, props, false. The alleyway stretches off in the distance both ways, its walls coming to a point visually, insufficiently far apart for Morton's sight to resolve. But that's nothing compared to what lies below, beyond the fence. It only occurs to Morton in the last moment to actually look down. He'd assume there was nothing there, after all, same as in the distance.

However, he is wrong. Terribly wrong. A single look, not enough to tell what he saw in detail, reveals this readily. What it also reveals, it should be noted, is that perhaps Morton would be a better person for never looking that way again.

One other thing, though. Whatever it is down there, it seems to be rising. Coming up. Reaching.

Outside the ruins of Eckledun...

Sigmund is not about to walk into a trap. Consequently, he looks around to see where the pebble might have fallen - it flew far, this much he knows. If it landed before the first building, it probably disappeared in the long grass. And if it flew deeper in, it'd probably be very hard to discern where it might have landed. Especially from this distance. Maybe it even landed in a gutter or some pool of stagnant water. In any case, the only safe way of telling where it might be would be to go over and find out with his own body. This, naturally, is not the most appealing proposition. He sniffs the air. Can't smell the pebble, either. Damned useless animal senses. This will require some careful-

"Doo-Dabee-Da, Da Da, DA-DA-DA! I have defeated a monstrous magical field that was attracting and trapping ethereal creatures with an unthinkable amount of force! Now... Where my money and axed peas?!" comes a shouted proclamation from behind Sigmund, tempting him to play dead in a most unbadgerlike way. He turns his head to see...

Well, Scott, obviously, since that's who it sounds like, but he looks different. Very sheetlike, which seems appropriate enough for a ghost. A little like a flag, maybe, now that he's triumphantly waving in the air.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:21 pm »

Kevin considered his options. On one hand, he'd preferably just ride a boat and do errands all day. Get out, meet people. Sure, it's a little strange, but it beats hunting down mages in the name of some dubious authority. On the OTHER hand, he doesn't really have a choice but to hunt down mages in the name of some dubious authority.
"What Mantra? What do you MEAN? Is this one of those "sell-your-soul-for-unlimited-power" deals?"

Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 719