Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221288 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2012, 02:44:28 am »

Try to fry it with fire magic! It's the best kind of practice
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2012, 03:13:42 am »

Try to fry it with fire magic! It's the best kind of practice
No! What, do you want to burn down the entire forest?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2012, 03:17:00 am »

Well, it's a little risk here, but still we should try to fry the dear. It's unlikely that our newby troll can start a huge fire
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2012, 03:31:58 am »

Disagree, with wind even a small spark can set a forest ablaze.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:08 am »

It's a long shot, but i think we should try to soothe the deer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29:31 am »

Better than a forest fire.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:19 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You haven't the foggiest idea how animal empathy works, but you decide to try anyway. You channel some positve mana in the direction to the deer, thinking 'I mean you no harm' as loud as you can. You get the instinctive feeling that you are doing something right, however the animals vanish into the brush before your spell can take effect. 1d20 = 13 - 3(Untrained Skill Penalty) - 2(Time constraints) + 1(Tattoos) = 9

You catch yourself crouching down in preparation to jump. Your predator instincts instruct you to give chase with your spring loaded legs, but just before you can leap Alice speaks and brings you back to your senses.

"I'm sorry. Soooo sory. I couldn't have notched an arrow that fast, and I assumed you were going to throw an offensive spell at them. Totally my bad. I could have help charm them if I relied that was what you were trying to do in time."

Ignoring her apologetic lapse into English, you respond in the high language of the elves. "Fair maiden, night draws close, and although it brings strength to my body and soul, I accept the fact that your fair frame requires sleep. Shall we return to yonder tower and retire for the night?"

Alice shakes her head. "Exhaustion has yet to claim me. With your permission sir Beast, I would like to spend a few more hours in the embrace of mother forest. We could practice talking to our tiny crawling cousins on the ground; or if you prefer we could become a force of nature's judgement and stalk the woods sending those who cross us to their reckoning."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:27:16 pm by Weirdsound »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2012, 04:53:57 pm »

Cowards.... Lost a chance to practice fire magic.

I think we should ask Alice  to teach us more mundane things than magic, How to find something edible\otherwise useful in the forest. It's quite possible that we'll have to survive in the wilderness

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »

Sounds good.
Be sure to check on her every hour, tops. Just ask, "Are you still able to continue?" or something. As noted, she requires sleep.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »

once an hour is a bit much, but yes, lets go hunting.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cowards.... Lost a chance to practice fire magic.

I think we should ask Alice  to teach us more mundane things than magic, How to find something edible\otherwise useful in the forest. It's quite possible that we'll have to survive in the wilderness

You ask Alice how she navigates the forest and finds food, and find to the dismay of the voices in your head, that she does so by asking plants and animals for directions and advice. Mundane techniques are of little value to her. She decides to try and give you a lesson in each of the natural empathy schools.

Alice digs through the soil and produces a handful of worms and pill-bugs, and coaches you into talking with them. It takes about thirty minutes of trial and error before you begin to make out their words, and the mostly complain about being in Alice's hand as opposed to the soil, but eventually you feel comfortable enough to try talking to bugs without a trainer. 1d20 = 13 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 5(Trainer's Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 16

Feeling satisfied with your progress you turn your attention once more to the plants and trees. Again, you are stumped. You try for hours and hear only the occasional whisper. You notice Alice's eyes drooping and are about to call it quits when you hear one of the trees whisper 'Elf'. You relay what you have heard to the human and she stares at the tree for a few seconds before speaking again.

"Your inner ear is keen Sir Beast. The wise tree gossips about a poor elven hunter who is injured and immobilized several thousand paces upwind. Seeing as we are a best of the night and the spawn of a wicked wizard, I do feel that we are obliged to pay him a visit and end or make miserable his life. Do you not agree?" 1d20 = 7 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 5(Trainer's Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 10

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:11 pm »

Go and talk to the elf, make a decision after that.
Sig

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:44 pm »

Agreed, let us find this elf.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2012, 08:30:22 pm »

I'd say no. Time to get back home, we don't want to get Alice in any kind of trouble and upset her father. And we need to practice alchemy

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »

Hrmm, revision, ask her if she feels up to the task before hunting the elf.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 143