Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220780 times)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #780 on: December 05, 2012, 08:12:56 am »

Just because you can jump/are magic doesn't mean you can pull your feet/hooves out of 3-4 ft of solid EARTH

Also give Gwen saber? and allow her to displace/blink on top of charging unicorn and kill it!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:38:55 am by javierpwn »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:28 am »

Have you ever heard of "getting enormous stab wounds in your torso tends to be lethal, you video-game-expecting fool?" 
Pfff. That's why I don't want to stay defenseless while hoping that time jump will work

You're assuming failure means death. Heck, you're assuming a low success equals death! I'm guessing failure will either mean we don't displace ourself or we don't displace ourself as much as we intend, not that we die or go all frozen.
Yes, I assume that standing still and doing nothing will get us killed, of cause we may dodge and so on, but that means  multitasking penalty
Minor success should be better than death  but will not save us from danger
Those unicorns needs seconds to get to us. We can't attempt spell and then do something else. Also. we are casting powerful spell at ourself, failure may have other consequences expect nothing

I vote displace ourself and run.
What? Running from a spearheaded charging horse that is 100ft away isn't a good idea... It's worse than meeting it with spear, it's worse then jumping aside in the last moment,  it's worse than falling to the ground and letting it to trample, hell it's worse than trying to jump on it's back or using animal empathy to calm down\scare it away. Running by foot is a plain suicide

All that this jump may do - reduce loses, we can't gain anything (expect gift of cowardice :D ) Even rolling 20 will likely do nothing exceptionally good.

javierpwn
They are charging at us NOW, there are no time for giving saber, chatting and doing anything else, we are limited to few actions... I'd prefer to stay with spear and do dirt displacement, but that "jump away with huge risk of death and gain nothing in the best case scenario" is winning
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:52:43 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:54 am »

I bvote for Dirt displacement!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:56 am »

Thats because it isn't a huge chance of death by using magic, what exactly do you think will go wrong again?  We have huge bloody magic bonuses and the one time our eon magic has failed us so far was when we were trying to displace a crossbow out of someones hands before someone physically got in the way.  None of that is currently happening, we could easily displace ourselves quite a ways into the future then ambush the unicorns when they are off guard if they decided to stick around that long.  We could just go forward say six hours or so to when its night so we have our nice bonuses.

Its not like 6 hours will take out of us what traveling 800 years or so would.  Plus our combat rolls are massively more likely to fail due to the fact that having a bloody massive amount of loot on us negatively affects our already low bonuses in that field.  Theres also going to be a lot of those rolls, unless we immediately die, which I expect we would.

When it comes to displacing the dirt I think it is in fact a good concern that the unicorns would just be able to jump over the displaced dirt and possibly disrupt the magic with their own power to protect themselves.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:56:27 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:32 am »

Do you know how hard it is for a horse to notice holes in the ground., especially when there was never a hole in the area beforehand

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:07 am »

Do you realise unicorns are magical?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 05, 2012, 11:17:07 am »

Ofttimes, their magic makes them immortal, and decently magic resistant buff, but unless their fire lasers from their horn, we might be able to do something

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:33 am »

Eh, I suppose, that buff though would still probably allow them to disrupt our magic.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 05, 2012, 11:25:01 am »

I know that situation is very bad and any way of action will lead to some risk of death. No need to say me again that fighting is dangerous, I know that.

having a bloody massive amount of loot on us negatively affects our already low bonuses in that field.
We are somewhat encumbered not bloody encumbered

what exactly do you think will go wrong again?
You want a list? We may get stunned by our own magic, we may damage ourself, we may jump to close and still be a target without a chance to dodge, we may jump tgether with charging unicorn,  we may jump into some bad future, we may lose Gwen permanently and many other bad ways how GM can interpret bad rolls

and the one time our eon magic has failed us so far was when we were trying to displace a crossbow
nope, we had one more failure when we tried to preserve parts of elven corpse and made all his corpse to rot immediately. Also we had huge trouble after one successful jump.

When it comes to displacing the dirt I think it is in fact a good concern that the unicorns would just be able to jump over the displaced dirt and possibly disrupt the magic with their own power to protect themselves.
It's quite possible. We may roll bad or they may roll good, or both. But in that case we'll still have chances... If they'll, jump that will disrupt their attack anywayThat we'll get lucky with the spear, that Gwen get lucky with her rolls, that unicorns get unlucky with their attack rolls. But failed jumping attempt may not leave us such chances, because we'll become a siting duck

And the whole attack the dirt is needed to avoid unicorns magic resistance.... If they disrupt any our magic... well then well jumping ahead in time is even more dangerous
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 05, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

Hm, thats something of a good point.  It may be best to try to kill them.

Though we need to install some safeties to prevent this from happening again, seriously.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »

t's quite possible. We may roll bad or they may roll good, or both. But in that case we'll still have chances... If they'll, jump that will disrupt their attack anywayThat we'll get lucky with the spear, that Gwen get lucky with her rolls, that unicorns get unlucky with their attack rolls. But failed jumping attempt may not leave us such chances, because we'll become a siting duck

If we get wounded here, it's basically game over. Any wound will make something that's already very difficult even harder for us. This is the *hardest* fight we've ever been in, and it will come down to using our worst skills at higher penalties than usual, if we get hurt by charging unicorns and/or they dispatch Gwen our chances of success go from not very good to absolutely awful. If we fight we *need* Gwen to roll good, we *need* to roll good and then we need to hope that all of the unicorns roll worse than we do. If one thing goes wrong, we are at an even greater disadvantage than we already are.

Right now, us sitting here being able to do little more than walk around, we already are a sitting duck. Us sitting here and hoping we don't get creamed by an opponent that is orders of magnitude more fast than us is much more sitting duck like than using the one ability we have in this situation that can provide us with some maneuverability. You're assumning that rolling badly means we will fail, but there is only one roll where i foresee that happening, that's a one. With our plus 6 bonus the lowest we can roll except for insta-fail is an 8. That's not necessarily very good, but it's not necessarily instant failure either. If it flings us into the future only by a couple of minutes that's okay we can deal with that, but fighting a disadvantaged battle with opponents that would normally be considered our equal is just... dumb.
In comparison, you're suggesting we get into a confrontation that will inevitably lead to us using our worst possible skills.
Allow me to demonstrate with a simple dodge roll, something that would become inevitable in a confrontation.
1d20 -3 (untrained in combat) -2 (somewhat encumbered) vs 1d20 + (maybe four? let's be realistic guys, there's gonna be a bonus here)
that's a difference that's gonna be somewhere around nine, maybe more, though i doubt it's gonna be anything more than one less. So we can expect that in this situation we are 40-50% worse in any given melee combat situation in comparison to either of the unicorns.
All of your plans assume that the unicorn screws up at some point, which is much more likely on our end.

Note: Bringing up statistics may seem metagamey, but it's a good way to highlight our character's disadvantage, a disadvantage he likely feels now.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »

We have bonuses to magic, and no bonuses to combat.
Remember who wanted to get those combat bonuses?
Me.  What did we get?  A nice voice.  I had a feeling this would happen.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 05, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »

the voting was a little messy, but that's ancient history right now, no use crying over spilled milk.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 05, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »

the voting was a little messy, but that's ancient history right now, no use crying over spilled milk.
Nah, I'm not crying yet.
I'm waiting to get mauled by the pony first.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 05, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »

Don't worry we could start the game over w/a new night troll

(Our father probably lied to us! Telling us we were to be the last of our kind,When suddenly, he actually had 15 of his children sent into the future
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 143