Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221835 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #810 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

Let's keep it simple and cut it.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »

Son of a bitch.  This is why we don't walk alone, huh?
And cut it.  Why the hell would we displace it?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »

Okay, after we're done that, i guess we have to hop home. Let's talk to the trees though, for directional purposes.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »

OK, We got lucky with that jump, really lucky. Of cause a lot of time is wasted, but well, that 13 is good

As for vine. Knife is a simpler solution... but both include falling on the ground.... And I dislike that. How will we get home with the broken leg? hopping = asking for more trouble We are the most pathetic night troll ever lived

I am starting to suspect that we'll not get Claira before Vindel
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You cut through the vine and fall to the ground. You try to get to your feet, but your injured leg refuses to support any weight. Luckily you have an indestructible dwarven artifact to use as a walking stick. You collect the stuff you dropped and struggle to you feet.

You doubt you can make it back to the tower encumbered. The hunter will likely take whatever you leave behind... unless you lie in wait to dispatch him when he returns!

"This is soooooo not my day."

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:09 pm »

We REALLY need a navigational skill. Even if its as simple as using the sun and stars. Also, what have we dropped?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 05, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

We REALLY need a navigational skill. Even if its as simple as using the sun and stars. Also, what have we dropped?

If you check your inventory on the post where you stepped into the trap, some of your items say 'On Ground' instead of 'In Pocket'

Also, I've been implying that plant and animal empathy are navigation skills.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »

Well, the hunter will become much richer... I offer to take two ignots, just in case, for artifact producing, rest of ignots and maces should be left here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:12 pm »

Yeah, just take 2 and leave

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2012, 08:39:27 pm »

Make sure to pick the brain, cookbook and necklace back up.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »

But damn we are screwed... Wasted several days worth of time for two damned ignots... And now we have broken leg and I think we need to change long term plans.... It's so bad that we basically promised Foghorn to get Claira, because I doubt that we'll have a chance soon enough

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

We need healing magic/runes...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »

Just because you can jump/are magic doesn't mean you can pull your feet/hooves out of 3-4 ft of solid EARTH
Requires good timing--displace the dirt far enough that the unicorn falls in, not far enough that it can hop out before the dirt comes back.

Also give Gwen saber? and allow her to displace/blink on top of charging unicorn and kill it!
What? "Here, honey, catch! Hopefully it's not too different than all the swords you've ever practiced with!"

Have you ever heard of "getting enormous stab wounds in your torso tends to be lethal, you video-game-expecting fool?" 
Pfff. That's why I don't want to stay defenseless while hoping that time jump will work
We've jumped through time before, Ranger. We can do it again. We know we can do it.

You're assuming failure means death. Heck, you're assuming a low success equals death! I'm guessing failure will either mean we don't displace ourself or we don't displace ourself as much as we intend, not that we die or go all frozen.
Yes, I assume that standing still and doing nothing will get us killed, of cause we may dodge and so on, but that means  multitasking penalty
We can jump forward in time without existing, and fail without being frozen, and you know what? Success means we'd be catapulted into the future, not that we'd get frozen.

Minor success should be better than death  but will not save us from danger
Those unicorns needs seconds to get to us. We can't attempt spell and then do something else. Also. we are casting powerful spell at ourself, failure may have other consequences expect nothing
1. Why not? The unicorns would probably move on after we aren't around, threatening their foal and all.
2. We have a lower chance of failing at eon manipulation than combat, and failure at combat rolls has a known effect: death, or at least maiming. I'd say that the option with a higher chance of success and a lower chance of horrible injury on a failure is better.

I vote displace ourself and run.
What? Running from a spearheaded charging horse that is 100ft away isn't a good idea... It's worse than meeting it with spear, it's worse then jumping aside in the last moment,  it's worse than falling to the ground and letting it to trample, hell it's worse than trying to jump on it's back or using animal empathy to calm down\scare it away. Running by foot is a plain suicide
Run after we displace...why did I type "and run"? I meant something like "displace TO run," I think.

All that this jump may do - reduce loses, we can't gain anything (expect gift of cowardice :D ) Even rolling 20 will likely do nothing exceptionally good.
Well, what can we gain by fighting? Unicorn horns on the off chance that we beat two superior opponents, honor no matter what. On the other hand, severe injuries are all but certain if we fight and death is probable. On the other hand, running has a MUCH lower chance of death, and while we might lose "honor," we'd gain points from anyone looking at how we avoid getting ourself killed.

javierpwn
They are charging at us NOW, there are no time for giving saber, chatting and doing anything else, we are limited to few actions... I'd prefer to stay with spear and do dirt displacement, but that "jump away with huge risk of death and gain nothing in the best case scenario" is winning
Huge? That's like a huge failure, and we have about a +6 to eon manipulation. On a d20. When success is at least a 10. Yes, the 15% chance of any kind of failure gives us a huge chance of dying.

We have bonuses to magic, and no bonuses to combat.
Remember who wanted to get those combat bonuses?
Me.  What did we get?  A nice voice.  I had a feeling this would happen.
Yeah, yeah. Why do you think we're not trying to fight?
This isn't Final Fantasy, we don't need to kill all our problems. And anyways, we've been getting excellent mileage out of most of our skills.[/s]

Darn. Um,  wasn't expecting 19 replies after I got back...probably shoulda posted before I left...lemme read the update...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »

What's the current time?

E: rereading reveals that it is just after sunrise. Still dark. We should leave the maces and whatever else we can't carry nearby and use dark manipulation to hide them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:27:11 pm by Grek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 05, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »

Why the hell would we displace it?
Because it's cooler. No other possible reason.

Whatever we leave behind (I suggest most of the maces), we should hide under some soil or rock or log or something, and figure out some way to mark it recognizeably.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 143