Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221339 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #795 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »

the voting was a little messy, but that's ancient history right now, no use crying over spilled milk.
Nah, I'm not crying yet.
I'm waiting to get mauled by the pony first.

Or we could flee.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 05, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »

We wouldn't be able to flee, as horses are fast, I wouldn't try to jump into a tree either, as we are encumbrrred and suffer a penalty

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »

I've already gone over this, we flee by travelling forward in time. Our most powerful ability, and the one we are most skilled in.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 05, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »

If we get wounded here, it's basically game over. Any wound will make something that's already very difficult even harder for us.
Disagree, only bad wound is close to game over. If we survive the first attack we may have more time to act further -1 or -2 penalty is not death

if we get hurt by charging unicorns and/or they dispatch Gwen our chances of success go from not very good to absolutely awful.
I never proposed to fight with arms, of cause we use magic

If we fight we *need* Gwen to roll good, we *need* to roll good and then we need to hope that all of the unicorns roll worse than we do. If one thing goes wrong, we are at an even greater disadvantage than we already are.
1) We don't need all rolls to be good to win the fight. All good rolls = win without injuries, It's indeed unlikely
2) failed  time jump roll - instant death or situation very close to death

Right now, us sitting here being able to do little more than walk around, we already are a sitting duck.
bullshit, somewhat encumbered is not equal to immobile

Allow me to demonstrate with a simple dodge roll, something that would become inevitable in a confrontation.
1d20 -3 (untrained in combat) -2 (somewhat encumbered) vs 1d20 + (maybe four? let's be realistic guys, there's gonna be a bonus here)
Again on one said that we'll fight with weapons only
But situation one - we cast escape spell, it fails, we can't do anything
Situation two - we cast offensive spell, it fails, we can at least try to leapdodge or meet unicorn with spear.
I prefer the second, it gives some chance

With our plus 6 bonus the lowest we can roll except for insta-fail is an 8.
1) When we rolled 10 on sending head in future it was microseconds
2) Why do you sure that we'll have no penalties for the roll? It's quick casting and we are still encumbered. Also oour magic resistance should raise.
3) natural 1 still exist

We have bonuses to magic, and no bonuses to combat.
Remember who wanted to get those combat bonuses?
Me.  What did we get?  A nice voice.  I had a feeling this would happen.
Communication is a nice skill and helped us few times... Darkness manipulation and night creature empathy not so.
But guys, let's focus on story, it's what fun not minimaxing.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

No.  A failed magic roll is not going to result in insta-death.  Not even a 1.  Neither will a bad combat roll.  That would be incredibly stupid.
Basically, we could try to take the safer way, which is jumping forward in time.  Because as magic as they are, they aren't going to wait around for five hours in the same meadow.  Especially if we jump to when it is night.  And why wouldn't we be able to jump Gwen as well?  We've used eon manipulation on others before.

There is something to be said for fighting.  To train skills, to say we did it, and to get unicorn parts.  I imagine that the parts are going to be extremely valuable if unicorns are the toughest enemy we've fought so far, and they are magical.

So yes, running is the safest thing we could do.  Shut up.  It is.  There's no point in arguing this any further.  Yes, we could roll low, but we could also roll low for combat, and our chances would go down exponentially.  There is no functional difference in chances of it working, so shut up.  All of you arguing probability.  Probability of death is not what we should be deciding on.  Our skill in magic is off-set by Gwen's prowess in battle (Skill and jumping, plus probably some experience with 'corns).  The issue here is the benefits: safety v. items.
But would it be as beneficial?  Honestly, no.  We could gain some experience fighting these things, so we'll be better off next time we fight one, and maybe next time we wouldn't have Gwen with us.  We're also going to gain some 'corn parts, which we can probably use for something, and if not then Leghorn and Alice can.  We aren't injured, and Gwen isn't too hurt.  And maybe Gwen knows of some weakness of theirs?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »

No.  A failed magic roll is not going to result in insta-death.  Not even a 1.  Neither will a bad combat roll.  That would be incredibly stupid.
Realistically speaking pierced heart or brain = death.  So it's not stupid at all. Also, note that all combats we had were very short.

So yes, running is the safest thing we could do.
And still I disagree. It may be safest on average, because majority of time we will be in safety, but I am sure that it has the highest chance of death

But would it be as beneficial?  Honestly, no.  We could gain some experience fighting these things, so we'll be better off next time we fight one, and maybe next time we wouldn't have Gwen with us.  We're also going to gain some 'corn parts, which we can probably use for something, and if not then Leghorn and Alice can.  We aren't injured, and Gwen isn't too hurt.  And maybe Gwen knows of some weakness of theirs?

I agree with all that, but seeing that most proposed actions were like - hide\run\avoid\negotiate\wait I doubt it will get voted. If I was the GM I'd consider giving some mental traits based on actions...
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »

I would stop the back and forth &p let the GM sort out the votes....
Let's play the game of Derail: where you must try to change the subject, and make it as awkward as possible.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 05, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »

Let me start:

Did you know because unicorns means 1 horn, a goat can be considered a unicorn if one breaks or falls off?

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:08 pm »

a few things: an offensive spell that kills 2 unicorns will probably need a better roll than a tree-jump.
gwen has her gift of displacement, she can escape easily.
unicorns are both territorial and probably semi-intelligent. if we both jump forward we may have a scenario like this http://xkcd.com/989/, except with an angry herd of unicorns.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »

15 Platinum bars are very heavy. So I can only see two smart choices. Either A: Burn it with fire and hope they get hurt. Or B: Jump forward in time. I vote for jumping forward.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 05, 2012, 07:06:05 pm »

a few things: an offensive spell that kills 2 unicorns will probably need a better roll than a tree-jump.
gwen has her gift of displacement, she can escape easily.
unicorns are both territorial and probably semi-intelligent. if we both jump forward we may have a scenario like this http://xkcd.com/989/, except with an angry herd of unicorns.

I think it more likely that they will assume we are trying to get away, they have little way of knowing how far we are travelling, and that's if they figure out that we are travelling in time and not... teleporting.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:20 pm »

I would stop the back and forth &p let the GM sort out the votes....
Let's play the game of Derail: where you must try to change the subject, and make it as awkward as possible.

Eh. Except for character creation I go for the idea with the best argument given for it, not total number of votes, so the debate helps. If I had to tally votes every time I updated,

Also... holy crap. 50+ Pages in just under a month. Way to go guys!

Update on the way.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Gwen. Meet me at the tower." you spit out before closing your eyes and focusing on displacing yourself.

You hear the equine angel begin to charge but tone it out. To become distracted here would be death. You find your center and designate you whole mind, body, and soul as the target of your spell before opening your eyes to unleash it. You catch a brief glimpse of the Unicorn, horn less than a foot from your face and charging, before your vision flashes green and everybody else around you vanishes. 1d20 = 13 + 4(Skill) + 1(Tattoos) + 1(Perk) - 2(Somewhat Encumbered) - 2(Casting under time constraints) = 15

A quick examination of the clearing yields no unicorns nor Gwendolyn. No corpse of your wife or trail of blood. She has to have made it out alive.

The sky reveals that the sun has just risen; you have likely jumped a day or two forward.

You travel with haste back to the tower. Gwendolyn and Alice should be waiting for you.

---

It happens in a flash. One second you are walking home, almost clear of the forest, and the next you are flipped upside down and lifted into the air by ankle. The sicking crack that accompanies these actions informs you that you have likely broken a leg.

You take inventory of the situation. It would seem that you have stumbled into the trap of some clever hunter or another. The vine holding you is sturdy, but you should be able to cut it. You doubt this trap was intended for sentient prey.

The act of being quickly flung upside town has disturbed some of your belongings. Your flask of oil falls to the ground and shatters, and your oak as is dumped from your pocket and scattered to the wind. Some of your other belongings fall to the ground as well, but you should be able to recover them without much difficulty once you get free.

Encounter Roll: 1d20 = 2 - 3(No Navigation Skill) = -1 (Dice, what are you doing? Dice? Stawp!)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 05, 2012, 08:10:48 pm »

Displace vine!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

Cut the easily cutable vine with our knife.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 143