Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221295 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #870 on: December 07, 2012, 12:00:02 am »

(Sorry guys. Ranger was right. You should have leveled up Eon Magic by now. I'll set it to require one more successful use for now. If I retcon in a level up here, it would change the character sheet in ways that may or may not render some of the arguments given for this turn invalid. I'll make up the mistake by fudging a roll or something in the future.)

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You decide to have a quick chat with your smith. "What was your specialty area in crafting in life Illuem?"

The ghost blinks, caught off guard by the personal question. "I was actually a furnace operator. I would fill in for some of the smiths from time to time when they would get sick or something. Then the war happened and the Weaponsmith was killed by an enemy assassin. I get his job, but end up in a strange mood two weeks later. They can't get me the wood I needed because we were under siege, so I snapped and took out about 4 people before they put me down..."

"So... you think you will need wood this time around then... If we decide to take that route. Which I'm not saying I am."

The dwarf shrugs. "Not sure. I'd get a decent collection of the basics before ordering me into the mood though. Metal Bars, Gems, Wood, Stone, Shells..." Illuem flashes you a smile. "But don't worry, the way the spell binding me is set up there shouldn't be a time limit."

"That will be all Illuem." You say with a nod before leaving.

Alice helps you upstairs and then watches intently as you enter the young elf's cell. She is afraid. "Heheeeeehe. Your time has come tree hugger. When I promised I wouldn't kill you... I lied."

Due to your victims weakened state you cannot keep the girl conscious for nearly as long as you would have liked. It matters not. She has been soaking in her own fear for days, and hers is easily the sweetest meat you have ever dined upon. You catch yourself almost thanking her for the meal. As she departs you imagine her hauling a heavy bit of yourself to the afterlife with her.

You return to your bed to rest your leg.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:03:00 pm by Weirdsound »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 07, 2012, 02:24:36 am »

Spend some time with Alice chatting and sharing magical knowledge. She tells us about empathies and we give hints about darkness manipulation and eon magic. Also, we may read our fire magic book together, it's easier and funnier to learn with companion (it's so sad that we lost the novice friendly book :( )

Some tricks  that I'd like to try after Alice get tired of talking or in more distant future
1) Earth manipulation + eon manipulation - Go outside, (or do this through window)  point spear at some patch of dirt and try to send it forward in time ( Yep, unicorn killing idea, I want to remove an argument we never did it before in future)

2) Fire manipulation + eon manipulation. Put something small on fire, then accelerate the fire to make it more dangerous ( probably later, we need to do it in safe place not in tower and risk starting a fire)

3) Empathy + eon magic. Send mental orders to plants\animals  in future. May try the same with words, it may be a very useful trick - send words minutes ahead, change position and attack from another direction while enemy is distracted

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:43:42 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:07 am »

Well yelling at them probably isn't the best way to do anything more than temporarily get things moving.

Its not like screaming "FOOLISH FOOLS DO MY WILL" will be a profound turning point in how they view eachother.
It does, however, make sure that we can delay things getting worse until we get better. Besides, they both laughed, which will reduce tension in the short term at least.

FYI, I think there's a typo in the latest update, unless you meant to call the elf-child a tree "huger."

I like the idea of sending messages around in time. Lets us screw with casualty and risk time paradoxes. Fun. We can send stuff back in time an not just forward, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:14 am »

Back in time  gives huge potential, but I'd not mess with spacetime too much until we are far more skilled. Miscast should be nasty, even successes may create bad, bad paradoxes.

In fact I'd prefer another magic for regular combat, fire or earth manipulation look safer options than suffering from paradoxes. Eon manipulation should be saved for grave dangers like one with unicorns. We need other options for easier combats
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 07, 2012, 08:46:00 am »

Lets just test out what bonus the spear gives to earth manipulation eh?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 07, 2012, 10:09:36 am »

Lets just test out what bonus the spear gives to earth manipulation eh?
What tests do you suggest?

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:14 am »

What people wanted to do in the first place, displace some dirt or something similar. Nothing too big though, don't want to try to move one stone in the tower and accidentally collapse the entire thing on top of us.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 07, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spend some time with Alice chatting and sharing magical knowledge. She tells us about empathies and we give hints about darkness manipulation and eon magic.

Alice helps you to the front exit of the tower, and the pair of you sit down on the grass for some earnest conversation. You try to steer the conversation towards magic, and Alice quickly informs you that she has no interest in learning any new schools; if wanted she could have picked up Eon or Dark manipulation from her father. She would much rather invest her efforts into improving the skills she already has.

The human however is more than willing to help explain the very basics of plant Empathy, setting you on the path to correctly learn the skill.

Eventually the talk drifts away from magic and drifts into topics a bit more personal. You learn that Alice's primary love interest is Rox the Tiger Woman, her father's peon of choice when muscle is required. She admits to seeing a few people in Dawnmaiden on the side; mostly the wives and daughters of transient merchants who come and go with the seasons. She explains for that reason, she would be more than willing to take care of any business you have in the elven Retreat.

As Alice pours out her soul to you, you begin to get the feeling that communication with mortals, especially young ones, isn't nearly as yard as you thought it to be. 1d20 = 18 + 1(Skill) = 19

What people wanted to do in the first place, displace some dirt or something similar. Nothing too big though, don't want to try to move one stone in the tower and accidentally collapse the entire thing on top of us.

You dramatically raise the spear above your head and attempt to displace some soil. There is a flash of brown but nothing seems to happen. You give a shrug and figure that whatever the artifact does, it has nothing to do with directly boosting one's casting. As Alice helps you back inside you notice a stream of sand falling from your outfit. You check your pockets and swear. Your attempt at magic seems to have polymorphed some of your belongings into beach sand! 1d20 = 4 - 3(Untrained Skill) = 1

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-"
"Oh calm down. At least you didn't cause yourself more injury."

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 07, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »

Well.  Homosexuality and bestiality?  Well.  Could we use that to get Rox (even more) on our side?  She probably knows the area, and probably knows some animal empathy or something.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:39 pm »

Had pretty much already guessed that.
Also, i don't think it counts as bestiality, that would imply a lack of intelligent thought.

I think we should take our continued need for rest as an oppurtunity to train some of our skills.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:56 pm »

Had pretty much already guessed that.
Also, i don't think it counts as bestiality, that would imply a lack of intelligent thought.

I think we should take our continued need for rest as an oppurtunity to train some of our skills.
True.  She's a furry then?  That's what you call it when it's anthropomorphic animals, right?

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 07, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »

Whatever.

Since we didn't yet, put the platinum, rubies, books, and other valuables inside. Heck, put everything inside, and see if we can't repeat our success, maybe alter it. With practice, we could be turning clothes to stone and lead to gold!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »

Or turn a part of  our body in something nasty... Let's not play with powerful artifact that we know nothing about, we have been  warned. I support droping rubies\platinium and sand in furnace as likely artifact ingredients

I suggest to visit lovebirds and start a pack animal (pack bird? )  lovebird training. 

Nope, if make them mad due to failed roll that's awful while we can't defend ourself

Plant empathy, then? Are there are any old tree near the tower? We may talk with it and try learn secrets of the tower
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:51:54 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

What Uk said, but...
Why would the sand be part of an artifact?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »

We got a 1, as bad as we can get, and only lost some organs. That could have been bad, but they weren't ours.

Humor aside, I doubt we'd roll badly enough to get a worse result than what we got with a 1.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 143