Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 73962 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchling [Xenofiction]
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »

wow.  :o that's... something.
Let's move on to the next chapter, while still learning bits of context on the fly.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »

What are the other 20%?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2012, 07:45:22 pm »

What are the other 20%?
The same Shamanist-ish religion they are here. Some would have converted but the Pope called a no-go, citing xenoanthropology. The pope at this point's a pretty cool dude, for the kind of hyper religious person that you need to be to be the pope. :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moon grows dark six times before something more important happens.

You learn of the forests and gain a general education. You know which herbs heal what, not quite with the skill of a witchdoctor but well enough that any extra patients come back to you when Amma has her hands full. You train for some weeks with the Champion, a good natured Goblin at almost a meter high. The towering man knocks you around a bit, but your intuitive knowledge keeps him somewhat on his toes, and he congratulates you.

His apprentice is not so well receiving of your success. The boy is a runt, with one eye, an odd choice from the Champion, but when you see him in action you know exactly why he was chosen to become a Warrior. He darts andslips across the field in a series of moves that flow seamlessly into each other. He doesn't seem to move himself, rather spinning the battlefield around him and bringing his enemies to his level. Due to his size, he seems to prefer crippling an opponent and then dancing around them rather than duking it out toe-to-toe.

What's more, the boy seems very popular, a natural silvertongue who has already gathered the coming generation about him with ease. He never uses the word, but the rest of the group identify themselves as "Sunsetters", taking time out of busy days to dye their clothing black, orange and purple, with strips of the teal-green the same color as the sky. At their own expense as well; the dyes are very difficult to obtain, some having to be traded for with the eastern tribes. The Champion seems to support this behavior.

But that was last week, and this week you begin the basic political training every goblin in every tribe in the area undergoes. Politics are serious business, with five tribes gathering in one clearing to discuss matters of importance to all of them. A tenative peace has been kept after the Dulgoz Tribe of the east won supremacy. Feuds were settled with duels between champions and the tribes had been content to simply yell at each other under the Pavilion for now.

You're at the break of the clearing. A huge mass of goblins, over a thousand, possibly two, presses to the fore. The pavilion was built for this, though; you know that there's comfortable seating for a thousand goblins and standing room for almost three thousand, theoretically.

In practice, it depends on the mood of the day. Angry goblins would require more space, happy goblins less, and the excited goblins today will take up very little room indeed if one doesn't mind several good smackings on accident. The best view is at the center, but the more comfortable seats are in the back, and the center of the Pavilion is dug out and covered with small flat stones, so you would still get to see.

How close are you willing to get? Or to phrase it a different way, how interested are you in the announcement to be made?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »

As close as possible!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:20 pm »

We will make the announcement!
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2012, 11:14:53 pm »

No you won't.

You push in through the crowd, elbowing goblins out of the way and getting elbows yourself.

In the center of the Pavilion are five Goblins.

Ujja-Ka. Chieftan of the Pola-Knu. Her face is lined with greater age than Ulla-sha's but her eyes still burn with intensity. She wears many bangles and decorative rings, but she wears them with purpose.

Naun-Ka. Chieftan of the Naki-ki. He's almost wider than he is tall, a quiet man of slow movement and slower thought. But he's never once judged wrong for his tribe. He's been compared to a rock on more than one front, some unflattering.

Dumun-Ka. A skinny and sly goblin, constantly vieing for more power, more prestige. He likes to act as though the meetings never took place, and most of his tribe are xenophobic and sneaky. Regardless of being personally unsavory, he's a valued ally and his tribe is the largest of the Five. It is said that when the Damun tribe Marches, thunder rumbles beneath their feet.

Akun-Kaka. The chief of chiefs, his title means. He represents the Dulgoz, and as such has no actual power in the court. His purpose at the meeting is to cool the other chieftans heads, and act as a swing vote in the case of a tie. His tribe are not the largest, or the smartest, or the wealthiest. But the Dulgoz are well connected and sit comfortably above the other tribes. They're good leaders, if somewhat full of themselves, but Akun-Kaka rarely speaks, only listens. To hear him open his mouth for more than a soft "quiet." is a rare and frightening occasion.

Finally, you're own chieftan. Led in by Ulla-sha, he's a shambling old goblin with over a century of experience. Ulla's assistance is uneccessary, but it would be bad luck not to, and the chief sets himself down in a cloud of dust.

He's covered from head to toe in old scars, a massive bite in one ear. One eye is perpetually squinted as if appraising the realm, and his only decoration is a solid fungal ring about his brow. His nose is long and hooked, his mouth sagging so that it appears to be always frowning. One leg is simply gone, replaced by a wooden prosthetic. And at his side is a spear of solid wood and black obsidian.

His name is Obun-Kamra, the King of Stones. In his hands he carries the Device.

What does the device do?

>It is a long tube, and from it's mouth spews fire, and all in front fall dead.
>It is a crystalline orb, perfectly round, and it glows with the power of gods in a blue light.
>It is a tablet of Gold, engraved with strange figures. The figures are aligned in neat rows and some repeat often while others not at all.
>It is a fallen star of black, twisted stone, and a holy relic from the sky.
>It is a mouthpiece, and when a button is pressed it turns water into air
>It is a golden box, and upon the box is cut a circle. It is not known what it does.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:14 pm »

Golden box!
Sig

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2012, 12:18:47 am »

I say the twisted sky rock, it sounds ominous

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2012, 03:38:40 am »

I'll vote for this as well, although I don't think it would be very powerful, given the level of the others artifacts (a flamethrower, a lamp, some written tablet, a piece of something (I'd say some starship plating), an electrolytic respirator and some box.)

Also our chief's title is Kamra, while others are just Ka (chief? Kaka would be chief-chief.). Does that refer to the Device? It should be very important if carrying it give a title.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:16 am »

I say the gun/flamethrower.
Our goblins must reverse engineer it.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2012, 09:31:04 am »

The Orb. Because glow.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »

I'll vote for this as well, although I don't think it would be very powerful, given the level of the others artifacts (a flamethrower, a lamp, some written tablet, a piece of something (I'd say some starship plating), an electrolytic respirator and some box.)

Also our chief's title is Kamra, while others are just Ka (chief? Kaka would be chief-chief.). Does that refer to the Device? It should be very important if carrying it give a title.
Mra in this context translates to Stone(s).

There are also little fuzzy creatures called Mra, which also translates to Stones (they look like rocks until they shoot off like rockets into the underbrush. Think rabbits), and it's used as a slangish term for heart, as well as medically a stone that has been eaten to assist with digestion, ala Bezoars.

Ka does accurately translate as chief, king, or generally a high authority. Repeating the title emphasizes it, without a good translation. Since -un and -a mean boy or girl, specifically, one can be called (for example) Usun-un, which basically translates to "You are Chuck Norris", or Usa-ah, which would be a highly feminine goblin. The first one is what matters, so you can also switch it out (Usun-ah is a very feminine man, or Usa-un is a tomboy).

Languages are fun! :D

Thus Far the Skyrock is winning. The Power doesn't really matter since you won't get to handle the holy artifact any more than you could handle the Shroud of Turin. It will likely effect some other details though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:59 am »

like the likeliness of a conflict I guess. The flamethrower would be a useful asset in a tribal war, while the skyrock would not.

This mean that the first one is more likely to lead to war, or simply to aggressive diplomacy, because tribes would want to have it, or at least some other not to have it. I can imagine Dumun-ka trying to get his hands on it.

On the other hand, the skyrock having likely absolutely no use besides religion, the power-hungry chiefs and tribes would not fight for it.

This is only my opinion, of course. :)
Full Sig

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2012, 11:28:47 am »

I think that the orb or the box is more of a religious symbol than the rock.  The rock seems more like an omen, or something of the like.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54