Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 73489 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchling [Xenofiction]
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:54 pm »

ROOMBA
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:54 am »

I prefer the Dyson ball...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2012, 12:08:04 am »

Not to compliment myself, but managing to derail a thread about goblins to a discussion about vacuums. Masterful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2012, 12:11:20 am »

Not to compliment myself, but managing to derail a thread about goblins to a discussion about vacuums. Masterful.
Maybe that's what the religious artifact really is!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2012, 06:19:56 pm »

Guys, it has to be one syllable, and then it has -Un on as the second syllable, then your titles, which would be -Sha for now, probably -Ga later (Hero).

So if we figure Ulla's full round of Titles to be Ulla-shamam it would break down like this.

Ull = Her true name, gender neutral. This is the only part she really chose.
-a = A "title" that says she's a girl. Meaning she's an egglayer (not anymore).
the hyphen = Represents a tiny pause separating them into two words. Could also be represented with a space but hyphen looks better.
-Sha = She's a shaman, a storyteller. Not a -Khet, a warrior, or a -Ka, a Chief.
-Mam = Pronounced like "Mom", meaning mother or Matron. Translates as a title into a female version of -Ka, though -Ka is gender neutral and implies chiefdom, so this is the most commonly used. A -Mam is usually not someone you want to mess with. Also, the -Mam title implies she's laid a fertilized clutch before, so someone in the tribe (or several, goblin clutches can be 10-20 eggs on the larger side) is likely carrying Ulla's genes. Goblins don't much care about that though, apprentices carry a parallel to children here.

This translates her name as "Ull, female, Mother of the Shamans." If she had any more, they would probably be superceded. Only the two most important can be tacked onto a name, though if you want to recite the whole list you can repeat the "Ulla" and tack on the others. Titles can be dropped with impunity, however, though it shows less respect the more and the more important the title dropped. Dropping the -Mam isn't so important, so it's acceptable, though if you wanted to go full-on respectful it's part of her title. Dropping the -Sha basically means you know her personally, like a friend. The -A can't really be dropped. That would go beyond disrespectful into just weird. They'd be offended, but in a tilted-head-and-spocked-eyebrow sort of way.

Roomba and Arkai are two syllables. You could be Roomun or Arkun, or Baun or Aiun. Rhomun would work. A little long to write but as this is second-person I doubt that would be too much of an issue.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 08, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »

-a = A "title" that says she's a girl. Meaning she's an egglayer.
Wouldn't a Alca still be an egglayer though?  I'm just curious.  Is that the reason Ulla doesn't like her, because she is unable or refuses to lay eggs?

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »

voting for Arkun. Poll?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2012, 06:44:44 pm »

Wouldn't a Alca still be an egglayer though?  I'm just curious.  Is that the reason Ulla doesn't like her, because she is unable or refuses to lay eggs?
Egglaying isn't something they can stop. Alca isn't quite old enough for her first clutch yet, but soon enough she'll be laying.

Ulla doesn't like anyone.

Alca-un is Ulla being rude and basically calling Alca a tomboy. This is because Alca doesn't act more feminine. The particular tribe of goblins is the most humanoid in culture, so A perfect goblin woman would be very close to Amma, or the Japanese notion of Yamato Nadeshiko, with a touch more iron than either. Alca, for comparison, is basically all iron. As is Ulla, but Ulla is just a grump and makes fun of everybody. Did you see how she treated Amma? And Amma is her best friend.

E: I'll put up a poll if it's just these two names.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:48:20 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »

Egglaying isn't something they can stop. Alca isn't quite old enough for her first clutch yet, but soon enough she'll be laying.

Alca-un is Ulla being rude and basically calling Alca a tomboy. This is because Alca doesn't act more feminine. The particular tribe of goblins is the most humanoid in culture, so A perfect goblin woman would be very close to Amma, or the Japanese notion of Yamato Nadeshiko, with a touch more iron than either. Alca, for comparison, is basically all iron. As is Ulla, but Ulla is just a grump and makes fun of everybody. Did you see how she treated Amma? And Amma is her best friend.

Oh, so it's like calling a woman "sir" or a man "ma'am" to criticize them.
And I meant laying fertilized eggs.  I'm assuming she could help that.

And yes to poll.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »

Oh, so it's like calling a woman "sir" or a man "ma'am" to criticize them.
And I meant laying fertilized eggs.  I'm assuming she could help that.

And yes to poll.
Sir is gender neutral.  A female knight would still be referred to as sir.  Presumably so would a female commanding officer, for the military.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »

Yes, yes.  You know what I meant.  Because Alca isn't really in the military.
She should be though.  Seriously, dat health and damage!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2012, 08:27:42 pm »

Well Raun  was an early apprentice for military, they don't get into REAL fights
Alca was an early apprentice to a hunter, and because she has to kill stuff earlier on, she develops a more hardened body earlier on;especially since she fights wild animals, most likely with spear and hands

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:08 pm »

Well Raun  was an early apprentice for military, they don't get into REAL fights
Alca was an early apprentice to a hunter, and because she has to kill stuff earlier on, she develops a more hardened body earlier on;especially since she fights wild animals, most likely with spear and hands
Still wasn't in the military.  You don't call a hunter "sir" in the same way you call someone in the military "sir."

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

I was referring to the last bit on damage/health

Edit: Early on, military CAN be worse than a barefist hunter

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »

Sorry, I was just referring to the use of the honorific in general.  It's gender neutral, but due to the fact that there were no female knights for an extremely long time it was never used to refer to females.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54